Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Hey, has anyone tried installing an iPhone app? I wonder what would happen!

Are you serious?
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    It's should supposedly be easy to port over the 1700 iPhone webapps, but is that interesting?
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMium View Post
    Hey, has anyone tried installing an iPhone app? I wonder what would happen!
    sounds like its worth the time but then again who wants to be "just like" the iphone last time i checked the pre was aiming for "better then" the iphone but whatever floats ya boat
    I wonder what would happen!
    I don't want to be rude, but come on, man, do you really need to wonder? Just think about it for a second. What happens when you try to install an application for the wrong OS on any other device? It will either cause errors, or it simply won't do anything at all.

In case you didn't realize, the iPhone and its apps run on mobile OSX, while the Pre and its apps run on WebOS. They're totally different systems. They don't mix & match.

I think MrDeeds' response is worthy of repeating:

Yup, that about says it all.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    lol, while it'd be cool and would definitly kill the iphone it wouldn't make sense.

I'm going to 3rd the double facepalm.
    here's a web based iphone app that's pretty cool

roadtrippr

from this site -though i haven't tried too many yet....
    Apple - Web apps - All Categories
    I've tried a bunch of webapps so far. A lot of them work, but a lot of them don't. Many kind of half work, presumably due to differences between the two browsers.

I've found that iConvert, Translator, and Dictionary work particularly well, and are very useful.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by [/img

Are you serious?
    Yes
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Yes
    Last edited by PreMium; 08/01/2009 at 01:37 AM.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieras View Post
    here's a web based iphone app that's pretty cool

roadtrippr

from this site -though i haven't tried too many yet....
    Apple - Web apps - All Categories
    Thank you
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ABBlockhead View Post
    I've tried a bunch of webapps so far. A lot of them work, but a lot of them don't. Many kind of half work, presumably due to differences between the two browsers.

I've found that iConvert, Translator, and Dictionary work particularly well, and are very useful.
    Thank you too
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    It's should supposedly be easy to port over the 1700 iPhone webapps, but is that interesting?
    Thank you too!
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bRANDON_nGS View Post
    sounds like its worth the time but then again who wants to be "just like" the iphone last time i checked the pre was aiming for "better then" the iphone but whatever floats ya boat
    Yes, the Pre should eventually Kill the iPhone since programmers should have a lot more flexibility that having to strain the "allowed" apps through the App Store, but wouldn't it be nice if some of the major apps like Skype, ( _____ Fill in your favorite apps here ) could be ported over?
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ABBlockhead View Post
    I don't want to be rude, but come on, man, do you really need to wonder? Just think about it for a second. What happens when you try to install an application for the wrong OS on any other device? It will either cause errors, or it simply won't do anything at all.

In case you didn't realize, the iPhone and its apps run on mobile OSX, while the Pre and its apps run on WebOS. They're totally different systems. They don't mix & match.

I think MrDeeds' response is worthy of repeating:

Yup, that about says it all.
    Do WebOS and Mobile OS X have a Unix Foundation?
    http://developer.apple.com/documenta...tro/intro.html

How about an iPhone emulator that runs iPhone apps? Boy, Apple would pee themselves.
    Last edited by PreMium; 08/01/2009 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Pure Genius
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Ah ha!!! You're one of those kids on Woot that with no matter what's being sold asks, "Will it run on a Mac?"
    Yes, the Pre should eventually Kill the iPhone since programmers should have a lot more flexibility that having to strain the "allowed" apps through the App Store, but wouldn't it be nice if some of the major apps like Skype, ( _____ Fill in your favorite apps here ) could be ported over?
    The pre will never kill the iphone.

Apple will be the one to kill the iphone. Infact they just punched it in the face with the whole google voice fiasco.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Do WebOS and Mobile OS X have a Unix Foundation?
    Porting UNIX/Linux Applications to Mac OS X: Introduction to Porting UNIX/Linux Applications to Mac OS X

How about an iPhone emulator that runs iPhone apps? Boy, Apple would pee themselves.
    Well, saying that webOS and iPhone OS are based in Unix is like saying a Bugatti Veyron and a Dodge Caravan have four wheels. That's about the only similarity. (iPhone OS is a rough derivative of Mac OS X, which is Unix certified. webOS runs a custom Linux distribution.)

Getting one app from one to the other would be damn near impossible, due to all of the custom, highly proprietary, and legally restricted libraries that each platform uses.

An iPhone emulator is:

1. An experiment to see how fast Apple lawyers can sue you to the next dimension.
    2. An effort that would consume more man-hours than to just rewrite all of the applications for webOS.
    3. Something that will never happen, EVER.

The developers for the iPhone apps will have to spend time targeting a new platform. But, like others pointed out, web apps work already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Actually, no. While OSX can trace its roots directly back to Unix, WebOS cannot. WebOS runs on Linux, which was developed specifically to be an alternative to Unix. It's not the same thing.

Even if they were both descended from Unix (which I repeat, they're not) in no way would that mean their apps could be interchangeable in any way. Solaris and OSX both come from Unix, but that doesn't mean you can run OSX apps on Solaris. Heck, you can't even run OSX desktop apps on the iPhone, and that's a heck of a lot closer than than the Pre is.

For another example of why ancestry is irrelevant, Windows and OS/2 both come from DOS. But does that mean you can run OS/2 apps in Windows? No way.

Want another? The firmwares that control Linksys routers, Boeing 747's, Mars rovers, and Xerox printers are all based on VxWorks, but does that mean you can use a copy machine to control a Mars rover, or use your router to drive a 747? Of course not.

Apples and oranges both grow on trees, but they're still apples and oranges. Similar doesn't mean the same. You can't make an iPhone app run natively on a Pre any more than you can make an apple tree grow an orange.

If you want to talk emulators, that's a different story. In theory, it's entirely possible that you could emulate an iPhone on a Pre, similarly at least in concept to how a Centro is emulated on the Pre by Classic, or how the Pre itself is emulated on a PC with VirtualBox, or how Windows XP can be emulated under Vista with a virtual machine. Emulation can do a lot.

That's a far cry, though, from just saying "I wonder what would happen if you try to run an iPhone app on a Pre." Quite obviously, what would happen (without emulation) is exactly what we all said. You'd either get errors, or you'd get nothing at all.

In any case, it's extremely unlikely that an iPhone emulator for the Pre, or for any other device, would ever come into existence. Legal issues aside, it would be a huge undertaking, with very little foreseeable benefit. I'm inclined to agree with Brian that it would be far simpler (not to mention, more effective) for any single developer just to create WebOS versions of their existing apps.

Bottom line, if you want to run iPhone apps, get an iPhone. That's the only answer that makes sense.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast