Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ABBlockhead View Post
    Want another? The firmwares that control Linksys routers, Boeing 747's, Mars rovers, and Xerox printers are all based on VxWorks, but does that mean you can use a copy machine to control a Mars rover, or use your router to drive a 747? Of course not.
    Wait wait wait, routers can't drive planes? Then what has this guy been doing?

On a related note, you didn't rule out the possibility of of a copy machine flying a 747.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post

On a related note, you didn't rule out the possibility of of a copy machine flying a 747.
    I was also wondering about the underlying hardware.

Who would have thought that my Mac could natively run Windows and who would have thought that my Dell Mini 9 could Run OS X? I'm glad somebody was willing to try.

I appreciated the education about the difference between UNIX and LINUX. So yeah, I can see it's probably not gonna happen anytime soon. <Grin> It was nice hoping while it lasted. LOL. I just loaded the Classic emulator and it works better than it did when it first came out in June. At least I can run a few of my old Palm OS apps for now.
    Last edited by PreMium; 08/02/2009 at 01:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    The pre will never kill the iphone.

Apple will be the one to kill the iphone. Infact they just punched it in the face with the whole google voice fiasco.
    Punched it in the face and then kicked it in the balls.

That is fantastic. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMium View Post
    I was also wondering about the underlying hardware.
    I would guess the Pre technically could run the iPhone's OS, and vice versa. From a computing hardware standpoint, there's almost no difference between the two devices .The iPhone 3GS and the Pre use the exact same CPU core, the Cortex-A8. They also have very similar GPU's in them, two different models within the same Anandtech SGX family. Finally, they both have the same amount of RAM, 256 MB. I can see no technical reason why either phone shouldn't be able to run either OS.

There may well be human-imposed reasons, though. The desktop version of OSX looks for Apple signatures on various hardware items, and if it doesn't find them (or at least spoofs of them), it won't install. I would guess the mobile version probably does the same thing.

Who would have thought that my Mac could natively run Windows and who would have thought that my Dell Mini 9 could Run OS X?
    Well, to be fair, as soon as Apple switched to Intel hardware, it became rather obvious that Mac's going forward would be able run Windows, and that PC's would be able to run OSX. At that moment, the Mac became a PC that just happened to have an Apple logo stamped on the outside. The only significant difference between what's labeled a Mac and what's labeled a PC these days, besides that logo, is what OS is being run. Under the hood, they're identical, for all intents and purposes.

I laughed so hard I almost blew my drink out my nose when Steve Jobs announced "Good news! We won't be increasing prices with the change to Intel." Gee, that was mighty big of you, Stevie-boy, considering that Intel CPU's are far less expensive for you to buy than those G5's you were using previously.

Apple's computer prices were always ridiculous, but at least they had somewhat of an excuse when they were using relatively costly proprietary CPU's. Now that they're using the same stuff as everyone else, there's no excuse whatsoever for a Mac to cost more than a PC. But somehow they still do. And we're supposed to accept that as "good news". The "We'll pay through the nose and like it, as long as it's shiny and has rounded corners" mindset that that company is able to instill in their fans is simply astounding. Next to the church and McDonald's, Apple has the greatest marketing in the history of the world.

I'm glad somebody was willing to try.
    Agreed. But it's important to understand nobody actually "tried". People took the Yoda approach of "do, or do not; there is no try," and they made it work. They took a good hard look at the Mac as a machine, and determined what it would take to get Windows to run on it, and they took a good hard look at OSX as a system, and determined what it would take to get it to run on a PC. It was a concerted, deliberate effort, on both fronts.

I appreciated the education about the difference between UNIX and LINUX. So yeah, I can see it's probably not gonna happen anytime soon. <Grin> It was nice hoping while it lasted. LOL. I just loaded the Classic emulator and it works better than it did when it first came out in June. At least I can run a few of my old Palm OS apps for now.
    Yeah, Classic has been steadily improving. It's still got a ways to go (Hotsync, more stability with sound, etc.), but it's shaping up nicely. It's almost a shame that by the time they get it finished, we'll probably already have most of the apps we want as native WebOS apps.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    It appears that he's digging for change in his center console, to pay for his order at the drive-thru window.....
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    This may not be as impossible as some think...Anyone see the latest releases from EA??? Palm is going to more openly (they worked with EA and some others a -little- under the radar) with their new plugin kit that lets you run C/C++ apps on the phone to take advantage of openGL and the like... So, while you most likely won't be able to just "run" an iPhone app on the Pre (but who knows, copy over some of the libs and you might get somewhere with -basic- apps) you probably will be able to easily port YOUR app that one you coded from iPhone to Pre. I would imagine a lot of the source code from EA's games remained the same. The apps look and feel exactly like the ones on the iPhone. I just tried out Scrabble.

In fact, peeping into the app folder shows a nice little config file that has buy links to the iPhone catalogue...I'm very sure nothing to do with webOS/Pre/Pixie/Palm BUT a file that probably accidentally got copied over...And if that got copied over...Other files must've been copied over, it wasn't done from scratch...

So something tells me it's going to be possible to (I don't want to say easily, but I will...) "easily" kill two birds with one stone and build an iPhone app at the same time building a webOS app using their new plugin kit.

That said... iPhone isn't "Linux" but guess what is? Android.
    Yea, you need Java on the Pre but if someone emulated Android (with really good success) on Windows Mobile (I've ran it on my HTC Touch a while ago) then that sounds even more likely to run on the Pre/Pixie.

Oh and according to a little blog post I found out there, someone was saying that the Sims on the Pre "felt" faster than on the iPhone.

Wouldn't it be funny if all these C/C++ apps ran faster on the Pre than they do on the iPhone =)
  8. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ABBlockhead View Post
    The firmwares that control Linksys routers, Boeing 747's, Mars rovers, and Xerox printers are all based on VxWorks, but does that mean you can use a copy machine to control a Mars rover, or use your router to drive a 747? Of course not.
    Proves that you don't know anything. I controlled the Mars rover for a very short time with the multi-function copy machine in my office. Was soon interrupted when somebody a few cubicles over sent a print job to it, but it was working for a couple of minutes.

xtn
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDeeds View Post
    Right, and I bet you thought a Mac could never run windows software either!
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    Proves that you don't know anything. I controlled the Mars rover for a very short time with the multi-function copy machine in my office. Was soon interrupted when somebody a few cubicles over sent a print job to it, but it was working for a couple of minutes.

xtn
    Sorry, that was probably my print job Next time let me know your printer's busy and I'll wirelessly fax it from my Pre to somewhere else, maybe even a fax machine made by a different manufacturer, running a different OS half way across the country. Opps there we go doing the impossible again!
    Right, and I bet you thought a Mac could never run windows software either!
    but thats completely different than say shoving a vhs into a dvd player which is pretty much the best explanation because yes you can eventually put the vhs into a dvd it takes work its not an instant process thats what the PDK is for
    I just need more post and wanted to say this is kinda funny. Like "Cops" funny.

Huu bad boy bad boys whatcha gona do whatcha do when apple comes for you!
    While there is an IPhone emulator for Windows (For development purposes), one might be able to port it over to WebOS, even easily I might add. But there are 3 problems with this:

1) You need the source for the emulator.
    2) Performance on the PRE will not be perfect being that emulators in general do not run perfectly well.
    3) Apple would sue like they have never sued before.

So in theory its possible. But very unlikely. And that would be the only way to run iPhone apps.
    The biggest problem with an iPhone emulator for WebOS is going to be Apple. If you were actually able to make one that allowed iPhone apps to run well on the Pre, you'd almost certainly be slapped with a lawsuit. Even if the emulator didn't perform all that well and was mainly just a toy for the homebrew community, Apple would still probably be trying to break it with every iPhone update.
    OMG
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    Ah ha!!! You're one of those kids on Woot that with no matter what's being sold asks, "Will it run on a Mac?"
    My question is always will it run Linux?/Can I hack it?
    Palm Pilot m100 --> Alltel Razr V3c --> Alltel HTC PPC6800(Mogul) --> Alltel HTC Touch Pro --> Alltel Rokr Z6M --> Alltel Palm Pre

Speed at 70Mph using MyTether using Alltel Hybrid Rev A
    http://i30.tinypic.com/2iu733d.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieras View Post
    here's a web based iphone app that's pretty cool

roadtrippr

from this site -though i haven't tried too many yet....
    Apple - Web apps - All Categories
    Can you run these just with the iphone user agent spoof or do they take a bit more hacking ?
    very entertaining thread... and just to pour gasoline in...

the reason why windows software runs on macs and linux is because of the same harware / cpu architecture and the "solvable" work of adopting an api simulating the os specific things.

when it comes to binarys you even cannot mix pre and pixi code.

what i really think is:

it should be pretty easy the other way round (apart from binary coded apps that need at least recompiling): webos mojo apps on an iphone (or on whatever)!

but actually because i think palm did the better job in implementing an os because they wanted it to be "open", "adoptable", "transparent" while apple made it "closed" and "intransparent" because they want to jail things, developers, concepts, technologies, markets to themselfest. palm goes the opposite direction here (not exclusively for being "good") but to survive and to generate more and faster energy, movementm community and gebastel around it. every child can make a webos app.

the app environment on webos runs inside a webkit process that hosts mojo and "within" that the app.

so everything you need to make a webos mojo app feel at home is providing it a javascript environment with browser-like objects and apis (ooooh so it takes only... a browser O.O) and supply the mojo framework inside of it. ajust the service calls that talk to the underlying system (which would be the actual work here) and you are done. mojo is absolutely transparent and i belief it can be ported very easily ...no matter where to.

and the webkit-engine... hey it IS apple software already

so i wouldnt be surprised if i saw webos apps run on iphones in the future because palm MENT it to be like that. it would be a jailbroken phone because apply wouldnt want developers targeting webos because that would set them free. developers of course would then be targetting mojo apps because that runs on the "iphone os mojo layer" just as good. hypothetically of course

but they (apple) will not let this happen (legally) for the same reason they are stopping shockwave based apps right now.

cheers.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12