1.    #1  
    Ist there a way to connect to the pre and administer the hard drive via wireless? I HATE the USB door!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyalms View Post
    Ist there a way to connect to the pre and administer the hard drive via wireless? I HATE the USB door!

DITTO! This is the only feature needed now to keep from needed to ever open the crappy little USB door.

So far I have wireless tethering and, thanks to 'File Coaster,' wireless installation of homebrew apps. Alls that is left for me is wireless access to the USB drive to transfer docs without having to email them to myself.
  3.    #3  
    Bueller? Bueller? Anyone have this answer?
    Personally I'd love to access it this way and avoid the USB connection. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do the leg work but have briefly performed a google search to find there is info for remote administration of linux. Here's the link to the search.

Google

If anyone figures out what has to be done please do share it with everyone.
    SFTP... Done bam Kazoo

Setup SFTP - WebOS Internals

Downside.. Has to be rooted.
    <I accidentally the whole pre>

<Palm Pre Speed Test>

Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Install the Optware toolset from WebOS internals
    Next steps - WebOS Internals
    and the last option during the install is to install the DropBear ssh server
    and create a normal user with sudo privs (ability to run anything as root
    or to become root).
    You can choose to enable it on the Wifi adapter or the WAN adapter (sprint)
    or both. Wifi is safest.

Once installed you can simply ssh (using free putty app) into your Pre,
    login as your normal user, and then sudo to root to do anything else you want. You can copy/paste to/from putty unlike novaterm.

I did all of the above last night, and it was relatively painless
    once I'd gotten the stupid novaterm drivers installed so I could
    get the first app installed.

I also installed the new Terminal app
    Application:Terminal - WebOS Internals
    I don't use it for a lot yet, but one thing I can do with it, is quickly login
    and check my Pre's current ip address using 'ifconfig' command
    which I can then use when I want to ssh into it remotely from my laptop.

ian
    Is there a tutorial on webos-internals for this ssh with putty thing. When I use novaproxy script and putty it seems to want me to connect to usb. I am new to all this linux stuff so I have to have step by step instructions to learn how to do a lot of this stuff.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Is there a tutorial on webos-internals for this ssh with putty thing. When I use novaproxy script and putty it seems to want me to connect to usb. I am new to all this linux stuff so I have to have step by step instructions to learn how to do a lot of this stuff.
    Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals - here you found the information you need. After you have completed the Procedure portion go to the Next Steps section - "Set up users, Optware, and access (Strongly recommended) "

It's during the Optware install you will create a new user as the above person above your post stated. With that user you will be able to log into your phone via Putty.

-Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by mike929 View Post
    Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals - here you found the information you need. After you have completed the Procedure portion go to the Next Steps section - "Set up users, Optware, and access (Strongly recommended) "

It's during the Optware install you will create a new user as the above person above your post stated. With that user you will be able to log into your phone via Putty.

-Mike
    But see I've done all those steps it is once all that is setup how do I access the pre wirelessly rather than using the cable? Putty doesn't see my pre unless it is connected by USB so obviously I need to do some steps to connect to the pre that I'm not aware of. When I run novaproxy script it tells you to set things in putty a certain way and then if the pre is not connected by USB it doesn't see it so I am assuming there is something different I have to do other than use the novaproxy script and follow it's directions.

-----EDIT------

It would appear they updated the page with instructions to ssh with putty. I did that but it rejects the password for that user even though I can log in with that user name and password with winSCP
    Last edited by StoneRyno; 07/29/2009 at 04:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Dunno what to tell ya then. The user/pw that was setup during my
    Optware/user/ssh server setup works just fine when I ssh (using putty)
    from my laptop to my Pre (gotta know what IP the Pre was assigned
    by your router's DHCP server).
    It also works when I use the Terminal app I linked above.
    If you can, I do suggest installing that app for the reason I mentioned.

ian
    It would appear it was a settings issue or something after getting troubleshoot help from webos-internals irc chat I was able to login. They have a page for setting up putty for ssh just in case something isn't setup right.
    There has been no talk about doing this in months, so I was going to post a new thread and read this thread instead.

Is there any new information on doing this procedure, connecting a Pre wirelessly instead of using the USB connection.

I would like to be able to just use that to access the media partition and not that interested in other areas of the Pre (but that could be helpful at some point).

I had started to read the stuff on WebOS Internals but got a little intimidated and didn't want to start on my own without know someone out here is available to help me just in case I get into trouble.

I do usually figure this stuff out on my own, but I'm not the greatest with Linux (I did have a few unix classes a few years ago but haven't done much with it).

Is this worth while project to try out?

Is this something that should be offered as a Homebrew app, to make it easier for 'rest of us'?

I looked at MyTether, and that does not provide this kind of function.

Hopefully, since as I said this topic has been quite, someone here will be interested in commenting here and possibly help me out.

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)