Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    what happens if you don't run that command first?

There are a few mods I'd like to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunlibra View Post
    what happens if you don't run that command first?

There are a few mods I'd like to do.
    If you don't use quilt to apply the patches, then you either need to work out how to remove your modifications just before an OTA update happens, or deal with the potential mess if you don't.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    any ways to correct potential mess?
    Quote Originally Posted by roitmanm View Post
    any ways to correct potential mess?
    Use quilt meticulously up front, or use the webOS Doctor afterwards (for a worse case scenario), or correct things as best you can by hand.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    so should everything be good after running a webdoc? because i ran it and im still having problems. could i have done something while in root that web doc wont correct?
    How can I unroot my Pre? I think I'm just going to wait for people to make these things available to us.

I disabled usbnet. Is my phone now no longer vulnerable on the web?
    Quote Originally Posted by roitmanm View Post
    so should everything be good after running a webdoc? because i ran it and im still having problems. could i have done something while in root that web doc wont correct?
    webOS doctor rewrites the complete filesystem. There cannot be anything left over to cause problems.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunlibra View Post
    How can I unroot my Pre? I think I'm just going to wait for people to make these things available to us.

I disabled usbnet. Is my phone now no longer vulnerable on the web?
    Your Pre never was vulnerable in the first place.

All instructions on webos-internals leave your Pre in a secure state.

That's why "rooting" and "jailbreaking" are completely the wrong terms to be using, because it evokes the fear that you are now feeling.

"Accessing the Linux operating system that Palm has provided, using Palm-documented means, and the Palm-installed root account" is the right terminology, and does not try and scare people.

-- Rod
    so if after running web doc im having problems connecting to wifi and bluetooth then it cant be my fault?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    All instructions on webos-internals leave your Pre in a secure state.
    Thanks Rod, I've been on webos-internals learning as much as I can, and am very close to accessing linux on my Pre. I don't have any desire yet to install patches, but having sftp (and maybe scp?) available would be very useful. However, I'm a little concerned about leaving an ssh server running 24/7 on my Pre. Should I be? I assume access using ssh will be done with the new user account that the script creates (not root), so maybe my fears are unwarranted. Thanks for any advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Thanks Rod, I've been on webos-internals learning as much as I can, and am very close to accessing linux on my Pre. I don't have any desire yet to install patches, but having sftp (and maybe scp?) available would be very useful. However, I'm a little concerned about leaving an ssh server running 24/7 on my Pre. Should I be? I assume access using ssh will be done with the new user account that the script creates (not root), so maybe my fears are unwarranted. Thanks for any advice.
    By default, the SSH service is not accessible via evdo.

By default, you cannot log in as root over ssh.

By default, you can only log in over ssh using the account you created (only you know the name of the account) and the password you gave it (only you know the password).

If you are really really really paranoid, just remove the dropbear upstart script, and ssh will stop running after a reboot. Then just use novaterm to access the command line, or install the Terminal application and use it.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Thanks Rod, appreciate the info - can't wait to try this. Also, does a "full-erase" of the pre wipe out the filesystem and everything that the script installs? Or is the web-os doctor the only thing that can touch that? thnx,
    Hey Rod...
    I just rooted my pre and everything ive done works fine. I rooted my wifes pre also and installed "forwarding text messages" and works fine, but when i tried to change the dialer on her pre, putty says "permission denied"...? any help would be appreciated. Thanx.
    running windows xp 32
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Thanks Rod, appreciate the info - can't wait to try this. Also, does a "full-erase" of the pre wipe out the filesystem and everything that the script installs? Or is the web-os doctor the only thing that can touch that? thnx,
    We recommend using the webOS Doctor, cause that will guarantee that it is returned to a pristine state.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Premie65 View Post
    Hey Rod...
    I just rooted my pre and everything ive done works fine. I rooted my wifes pre also and installed "forwarding text messages" and works fine, but when i tried to change the dialer on her pre, putty says "permission denied"...? any help would be appreciated. Thanx.
    running windows xp 32
    I'm sorry that I don't have the free time to debug individual problems like this - please use the developer forums on this site, or join the #webos-internals IRC channel and there are plenty of people there who will help.

Most likely case is that you forgot to make the rootfs writable again after rebooting.

-- Rod
    Ok, either the hotel I'm at is blocking SSH on port 222 or Sprint is. I've recreated the iptables rules to allow SSH viewable from EVDO to eliminate this crappy wifi network I'm on but I still can't SSH into my Pre.

Any ideas? It's bugging me because I'm here for another 5 days with out a REAL wifi connection and I can't even connect to my pre from my home PC over EVDO. I did check to see the dropbear is running and listening on 222 and it is. I can even SSH to itself and I get asked about the key so I know the pre is holding up it's end of the bargin.
    I tried doing this but I still can get anyway. How do I use Putty I am new to all of this big time. I need help
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    i was unable to find this link www dot surfrock66 dot com/?p=600
    I have been watching the guy's youtube on rooting the pre....
    and when I attempt to do the Optware Setup, my download always freezes before it is completed. My phone doesn't freeze, but the download just stops. I though maybe they were just big files and took a while, but 45+ min is insane. then I started reading the youtube comments and the guy said that you have to have wifi and continue tapping your pre screen so that it does not go idle. if anyone knows about this, please let me know if this is true. I barely have service in my apt as it is and all of the wifi connections that I can pull with my pre are password protected. I use an ethernet cord for my laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by lxcusic View Post
    i was unable to find this link www dot surfrock66 dot com/?p=600
    sorry, I can't post links, replace " dot " with "."
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast