Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This tutorial will show you how to edit directory data in a playlist to be relative to the playlist file
    this will take you less than a min to do. i provided a lot of examples.

music on my pre is setup like so:

music/artists/mp3's

first drag the mp3/artist folder/files to the desired folder/s on the pre
    you can use whatever media player that makes M3U playlists I'm using VLC
    edit the playlist
    export your playlist to your desktop
    open the M3U file with a text editor
    should look something like this on a mac. on pc "volumes/" equal drive letter
    Code:
    #EXTM3U
    #EXTINF:0,003_Ameerah - The Sound of Missing You.mp3
    /Volumes/PALM PRE/music/FRCFD/003_Ameerah - The Sound of Missing You.mp3
    #EXTINF:0,004_Passion Pit - The Reeling (Dean Coleman Bass Hit Remix).mp3
    /Volumes/PALM PRE/music/FRCFD/004_Passion Pit - The Reeling (Dean Coleman Bass Hit Remix).mp3
    #EXTINF:0,005_4 Strings - Diving.mp3
    /Volumes/PALM PRE/music/FRCFD/005_4 Strings - Diving.mp3
    #EXTINF:0,003_Plumb - In My Arms (Bimbo Jones Radio).mp3
    /Volumes/PALM PRE/music/Fusion Radio Chicago The Future of Dance/003_Plumb - In My Arms (Bimbo Jones Radio).mp3
    #EXTINF:0,004_Annagrace - Let The Feelings Go (Radio Edit).mp3
    /Volumes/PALM PRE/music/Fusion Radio Chicago The Future of Dance/004_Annagrace - Let The Feelings Go (Radio Edit).mp3
    #EXTINF:0,005_Jesse Mccartney - How Do You Sleep (The Smash Mode Remix).mp3
    /Volumes/PALM PRE/music/Fusion Radio Chicago The Future of Dance/005_Jesse Mccartney - How Do You Sleep (The Smash Mode Remix).mp3
    now edit directory data of the playlist to be relative to the playlist file
    simple find and replace will work in most cases

for example:
    if the playlists reside in the artist folder "with songs from the same artist only" it would look like this
    playlist in "FRCFD"
    Code:
    #EXTM3U
    003_Ameerah - The Sound of Missing You.mp3
    004_Passion Pit - The Reeling (Dean Coleman Bass Hit Remix).mp3
    005_4 Strings - Diving.mp3
    playlist in "Fusion Radio Chicago The Future of Dance"
    Code:
    #EXTM3U
    003_Plumb - In My Arms (Bimbo Jones Radio).mp3
    004_Annagrace - Let The Feelings Go (Radio Edit).mp3
    005_Jesse Mccartney - How Do You Sleep (The Smash Mode Remix).mp3
    if the playlist resides in the music folder it would look like this
    Code:
    #EXTM3U
    FRCFD/003_Ameerah - The Sound of Missing You.mp3
    FRCFD/004_Passion Pit - The Reeling (Dean Coleman Bass Hit Remix).mp3
    FRCFD/005_4 Strings - Diving.mp3
    Fusion Radio Chicago The Future of Dance/003_Plumb - In My Arms (Bimbo Jones Radio).mp3
    Fusion Radio Chicago The Future of Dance/004_Annagrace - Let The Feelings Go (Radio Edit).mp3
    Fusion Radio Chicago The Future of Dance/005_Jesse Mccartney - How Do You Sleep (The Smash Mode Remix).mp3
    if the playlist resides in the artist folder for instance FRCFD folder it would look like this
    Code:
    #EXTM3U
    003_Ameerah - The Sound of Missing You.mp3
    004_Passion Pit - The Reeling (Dean Coleman Bass Hit Remix).mp3
    005_4 Strings - Diving.mp3
    ../Fusion Radio Chicago The Future of Dance/003_Plumb - In My Arms (Bimbo Jones Radio).mp3
    ../Fusion Radio Chicago The Future of Dance/004_Annagrace - Let The Feelings Go (Radio Edit).mp3
    ../Fusion Radio Chicago The Future of Dance/005_Jesse Mccartney - How Do You Sleep (The Smash Mode Remix).mp3
    if you just created a new "music" folder it should see the playlist. the music app will load a lil longer than usual
    if you already have an existing folder for your music rename it so something diffrent. i go back and forth from music to music1. the music app will load a lil longer than usual

your playlist should be loaded
    if not your paths are wrong
    Last edited by larryflynt2k; 07/25/2009 at 02:06 AM.
    for instance my playlist looks like

Code:
    #EXTM3U
    \downloads\podcasts\WAMU_ The Diane Rehm Show Podcast\WAMU_111665510.mp3
    \downloads\podcasts\WAMU_ The Diane Rehm Show Podcast\WAMU_111657936.mp3
    \downloads\podcasts\NPR Programs_ Talk of the Nation\20090807_totn_04.mp3
    \downloads\podcasts\NPR Programs_ Talk of the Nation\20090807_totn_05.mp3
    \downloads\podcasts\NPR Programs_ Talk of the Nation\20090807_totn_01.mp3
    \downloads\podcasts\NPR Programs_ Talk of the Nation\20090807_totn_02.mp3
    \downloads\podcasts\NPR Programs_ Talk of the Nation\20090807_totn_03.mp3
    \downloads\podcasts\NPR_ Fresh Air Podcast\npr_111642152.mp3
    \downloads\podcasts\NPR_ Tell Me More Podcast\npr_111663548.mp3
    \downloads\podcasts\Leo Laporte - The Tech Guy\TTG20090802-584.mp3
    \downloads\podcasts\Leo Laporte - The Tech Guy\TTG20090801-583.mp3
    \downloads\podcasts\Leo Laporte - The Tech Guy\TTG20090726-582.mp3
    \downloads\podcasts\Dan Carlin's Hardcore History\dchha28_Ghosts_of_the_Ostfront_II.mp3
    how should i change it ?
    my podcasts are in a folder on my pre
    as it is listed in the code "downloads\podsasts\(actualfiles)
    does the playlist need to be in same folder as the files?

thank you for helping it is getting on my nerve to spend 5 min everytime trying to search for each file.
    i rather a player that i can just look through the files to pick songs not have to search only by tags.
    ps. i use linux(ubuntu) & gpodder as my podcaster if that helps
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I have just found a great solution for creating .m3u playlists! Works like a charm.

Works great with USB mode drag and drop.

The windows application (DioneSS-Playlist-Editor) can be had at:
    DioneSS Playlist Editor - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

If you use the app and open one of your music folders on yours PC (or USB mode PRE). It will load all of the mp3 files in the folder to the new playlist. Re-order if you wish.

Now when you save the new playlist, make sure you choose
    "File->Save to Relative Folder..." and save it in the same folder as the MP3's.

Now you can drag and drop that folder to your pre /Music/ folder. When you now re-start your music app, the playlists show up.

Note: if you do this live on your Pre, you need to change the name of the folder for the pre to scan and find the M3U file.

Steve
    Last edited by scobb; 08/10/2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Typo
    awesome! now i have to reload a virtual xp for this.
    i can't stand the music palyer on the pre. i rather ptunes
    Good stuff, I will need to do this tonight when I get home.
    aka lunareclipse
    You can find me here:
    Twitter
    Pre Themes
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I agree - pTunes on PalmOS was great. I really miss being able to stream internet radio.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Note: It is easy to forget to save using: "File->Save to Relative Folder..." and save to the same folder as the actual MP3's. If you just use "Save As", it puts in the whole path.

The editors UI is a bit quirky, but once you get used to it and update a few folders, it works like a charm.

The program is $10 NagWare. Pretty reasonable.

Cheers!
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Great info! Thanks for the tip!

Playlist Creator seems to work fine and is free:

oddgravity - where time becomes a loop
    Glad to find this thread! Cleared up a large annoyance for me. I found it easiest to use Playlist Creator on my PC and then send the folder back through USB.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Yes - Oddgravity's Playlist Creator is pretty nice. Thanks for the heads up and link!
    None of this method is working to me it still not detecting playlist....
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Thanks to Larry's, Scobb's and jc-Treo's posts, I played around with this for quite some time. The trick is to make sure you use FORWARD slashes. I don't see an option to do this in the DioneSS player, but in Playlist Creator (v3.6), go to settings, Playlist Details, and check the box "Use forward slashes instead of back slashes". Also make sure the drop down item right above this says "Relative" as aluded to earlier.

I use Windows Media Player to manage my entire library (including a not-so-simple way of adding album art). I sync with my Pre easily. Once the music I want is on the device (in the standard \music\ folder) I dump the relevant mp3 files into Playlist Creator (in Windows Explorer, I navigate to my Pre's music folder and just drag and drop) and then create my m3u file (in the root \music\ folder). I rename the music folder back and forth between "music" and "music1" depending on what it was last named... as stated, that way the Pre rescans the folder and finds my new m3u files.

Thanks to all for their posts Good luck to the rest.
    Last edited by Deepers; 01/17/2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: forgot to thank jc-Treo for the Playlist Creator idea.
    Oh man, this was the one thing that I haven't liked about my phone. I could not be happier about finding this thread. I HATE "syncing" (I have waaay more than 8 gigs of music on my harddrive, so I need to be selective about it and why does that always require such micro-management and why it is so impossible to backup?) and I hate using third-party syncing apps to do it. I've been keeping a version of itunes 8.2.1.6 on my comp ffs and I despise apple!

Deepers your suggestions worked perfectly... thank you sooo much... I can make my own playlists in usb mode and the music app will see them... I am just so so happy right now.

uninstalling itoons right now... kthxbi
    I love LaRRyFlint2K's approach; and after doing it a few times my process evolved into a streamlined version of what he indicates here (Thank You Larry!!!)

FIRST: I use VLC as well (It's free and plays EVERYTHING, Video and Audio). Therefore, since I have it installed, it is in my Windows Explorer Menu.

1) I copy all my music onto my PRE. I personally use the "downloads" folder myself, and then I've created two folders: VIDEO and MUSIC (ie downloads\music) So then I just DRAG and DROP whatever music I want into downloads\MUSIC\artist name\song etc...) using Windows Explorer.

2) Then, still in Windows Explorer, I right-click on the MUSIC folder and I select, "ADD to VLC Media Players PlayList". VLC Player pops up and then I select, "SAVE Playlist to FILE". I select m3u as the file type and I save it directly into the "downloads" directory I mentioned before of the Pre.

Last Step:

3) Right-click on your new m3u file and select "Open with Notepad". Then just do a quick "FIND and REPLACE" and replace the G:\downloads ("G:" is my Pre's USB drive letter) with NOTHING. (Just leave the Replace field blank). It takes out all of the drive letters and Voila, all my music is in the correct "relative directory". Hit Save and then unplug your Pre.

One last thing, what took me a few times to realize: do not put any spaces in your .m3u files' Name. Do MiscMusic.m3u instead of Misc Music.m3u for instance.

I miss Ptunes too...
    after a hour of puzzling i found out that vlc or wmp uses '\' for directory name which pre does not recognize. problem is solved after changing it to '/'. is that a bug, should i report it to palm??
    What did the trick for me was the playlist editor "DioneSS Playlist Editor" and save as relative, and then editing the resulting file on the Palm with wordpad and replacing '\' with '/', save it close all windows and programs attached to the USB drive and using the 'safe remove'
    Quote Originally Posted by tony222 View Post
    after a hour of puzzling i found out that vlc or wmp uses '\' for directory name which pre does not recognize. problem is solved after changing it to '/'. is that a bug, should i report it to palm??
    It is the difference between how Unix and MS-DOS based operating systems designate the directory separator character.

Since webOS uses linux (a derivative of Unix), the / is how the directory names are to be separated. The \ is generally considered an prefix character for other operations. Your vlc or wmp clients are running on windows, which kept the \ character from DOS.
  18. GFS
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    it's amazing how horrible the music player functionality really is on this phone.

i was floored the first time i opened "playlists" to discover that you couldn't create a playlist from the phone itself.

i found this thread via google search, and after reading have decided that i'm not going to bother. palm should really work on this app. the remix is pretty decent, but still...
    My playlist workaround is this:

My music is stored in a directory called "Music" on my computer. I copied this over to my Pre in USB mode.

I use RhythmBox to create playlists from the music; save in the Music directory in M3U format. Copy these M3U files to the Music directory on the Pre. (If you save anywhere else, you will need to edit them in Text Editor so that the path from the Pre Music folder is correct.)

Works for Music Player and the far better Music Player Remix.

If you have previously used RhythmBox to install music, you must use it again to remove it, otherwise you will find that Music Player Remix points to duplicate empty files.
    Great thread. It helped fix my problem. One note, though. Since the Pre filesystem is Unix-based, the file names are case-sensitive. Make sure that your entries in the playlist match the capitalization of the filenames and directories on the Pre!

Also, can we change the title of the thread so it has a verb? ;-P
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast