Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    will this code impact any future upgrades ie. to 1.2 etc from palM?
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmguy23 View Post
    will this code impact any future upgrades ie. to 1.2 etc from palM?
    Well what happened last update is that the patched file was over written with a updated one. So the only thing that happened was romeonly was taken out of the prefrences. I assume future updates will do the same if the change the patched file or change the value of 'romeonly'. But as noted in the op. Do not apply any patch after an upgrade until deemed safe.

As for the stand alone app. I will look into this more when I get a chance.
    I got this installed without issues. Being new to webOS but not to Linux/Unix I intalled this from /tmp as most admins would notmall do. I assume that webOS works the same as any Linux/Unix flavor and anything in /tmp will be gone if the systme restarts.

So my question is, since this makes a backup of the original file. where is the backup stored? Should I back out and sudo to root and then reapply to ensure the backup and original file is there or move it to somewhere else on the system.

Thanks,
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryDevil View Post
    I got this installed without issues. Being new to webOS but not to Linux/Unix I intalled this from /tmp as most admins would notmall do. I assume that webOS works the same as any Linux/Unix flavor and anything in /tmp will be gone if the systme restarts.

So my question is, since this makes a backup of the original file. where is the backup stored? Should I back out and sudo to root and then reapply to ensure the backup and original file is there or move it to somewhere else on the system.

Thanks,
    the backup is stored in the same directory as the original. You can see the full path in the mv command in the original post.

I do not quite under stand your question though.

Once the backup has been created you do not need to touch it unless you need to restore it for some reason.
    I loaded the update on a 1.1 device via root - all worked fine but I don't get a roam only option on my phone preferences. Just automatic or Sprint.
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by varoomba View Post
    I loaded the update on a 1.1 device via root - all worked fine but I don't get a roam only option on my phone preferences. Just automatic or Sprint.
    Any errors messages?
    Here is my load screen. Error regarding backup but nothing else...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

root@castle:/# wget -qO- http://www.nucleardecay.net/pre/patch_roam.sh | /bin/sh

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ! Back up already exists... Have you ran the script already? If you have, be !
    ! you have the original file in the directory of !
    ! /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controllers/ !
    ! You should try moving the backup to the original then try again. !
    ! Copy and paste the following to restore. !
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/bin/mount -o remount,rw /
    mv /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controllers/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs.$1$.$1$.$bak$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$phoneprefs$/$app$/$controllers$/$preflist$-$assistant$.$js$
    /bin/mount -o remount,ro /

root@castle:/#
  8.    #68  
    Ok well, you have the backup already. If your current preferences scene is ok you can safely rm it and re apply the patch. The command to remove it is posted a few posts back.

I am a bit confused why you have the backup but not the patch. Did you do some sort of partial restore?
    I accidentally ran the 1.1 patch before updating this pre to 1.1.

Here's the error I get when I try to remove it:

root@castle:/# rm /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controllers
    /preflist-assistant.jsjsjs.$1$.$1$.$bak$
    rm: remove '/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controllers/prefl ist-assistant.jsjsjs.$1$.$1$.$bak$'? $y$
    rm: cannot remove '/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controller s/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs.$1$.$1$.$bak$': $Read$-$only$ $file$ $system$
    root@castle:/#
    Last edited by varoomba; 08/17/2009 at 09:43 PM.
  10.    #70  
    I accidentally ran the 1.1 patch before updating this pre to 1.1.
    And you don't have the white screen of death? Wow you are lucky.
    How do I get around this error:

cannot remove '/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controller s/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs.$1$.$1$.$bak$': $Read$-$only$ $file$ $system$
    Thanks for this, by the way. I especially appreciate how your script backs up the original file, just in case.
  13.    #73  
    How do I get around this error:

cannot remove '/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controller s/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs.$1$.$1$.$bak$': $Read$-$only$ $file$ $system$
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    Quote Originally Posted by fain View Post
    the backup is stored in the same directory as the original. You can see the full path in the mv command in the original post.

I do not quite under stand your question though.

Once the backup has been created you do not need to touch it unless you need to restore it for some reason.

I actually answered my own question. I aplogize for any confusion. Everythig worked great and I have had no issues wiht the update.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Well, I am hesitant to do this. I notice (At least where I live) that Roaming EVDO doesnt really work. Sometimes pages dont even open.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Usable true EVDO roaming is pretty rare, but you can do other types of data
    roaming at 1x. I've used it a lot when I'm in the mountains. There will
    be places you just can't get usable data too.

ian
    Hey Fain,

First of all, thanks for this, will make my life much easier if I can get it to work.

Have a small problem, when I try to run the script in your first post the command line says it is successful but then gives me this error at the end of the script:

mount: mounting /dev/root on / failed: Device or resource busy

This happens after the script is applied.

Before this happens everything seems to go fine but there is still no roam only in the preferences even after rebooting the phone.

To be honest I have no experience in this type of computing and I am not even sure I am inputting the commands in the right place. I'm just using the windows command line but the command novacom -t open tty:// seems to get me into some kind of root I think.

Thanks in advance.
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleRemus View Post
    Hey Fain,

First of all, thanks for this, will make my life much easier if I can get it to work.

Have a small problem, when I try to run the script in your first post the command line says it is successful but then gives me this error at the end of the script:

mount: mounting /dev/root on / failed: Device or resource busy

This happens after the script is applied.

Before this happens everything seems to go fine but there is still no roam only in the preferences even after rebooting the phone.

To be honest I have no experience in this type of computing and I am not even sure I am inputting the commands in the right place. I'm just using the windows command line but the command novacom -t open tty:// seems to get me into some kind of root I think.

Thanks in advance.
    ya the script does not check to see if the filesystem is writable. So what it did was just try but it didn't actually change anything.

The error sounds like something is using the filesystem. A process is running somewhere.

As root can you manually mount the filesystem rw? with this command as root.

mount -o remount, rw /

Make sure you are not in usb drive mode if connected to your pc.

There's a way to find out what's using the drive but I can't remember atm.
    fain: great stuff. any chance you'll make it installable/uninstallable via WebOS Quick Install?
    Quote Originally Posted by fain View Post
    ya the script does not check to see if the filesystem is writable. So what it did was just try but it didn't actually change anything.

The error sounds like something is using the filesystem. A process is running somewhere.

As root can you manually mount the filesystem rw? with this command as root.

mount -o remount, rw /

Make sure you are not in usb drive mode if connected to your pc.

There's a way to find out what's using the drive but I can't remember atm.
    Yes, when I input the command

mount -o remount, rw /

and hit enter the cursor drops down one line with no error message, I assume it is working. I have installed the drivers for the pre from the webOS installer package. I have no idea what is keeping the drive busy.

this is what it looks like when I input mount -o remount, rw /

root@qemux86:/# mount -o remount, rw /
    root@qemux86:/#

also, when I run the first script you posted i get the file exists error.

*edit* I now realize I am a total noob and am trying to hack my emulator. But I cant seem to connect to the pre, I get a device not found error in cmd, i will keep trying to follow the directions posted earlier in the thread.
    Last edited by UncleRemus; 08/24/2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: newb