Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mommybetts View Post
    Please can someone help me out. Im not that good with computers, but i can follow directions good. I believe i have downloaded everything i need, but i dont know where to start. Im using windows xp. I dont know if i should plug the phone up first to the pc or do i need to run something first on the pc.
    Follow detailed instructions here
    Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals
    havinig trouble...get following message
    wget: cannot connect to remote host (69.89.25.170): Connection refused
    i am using XP and have downloaded all the necessary files.
    I was at root and cut and past the code into the telnet...no luck. any ideas?

this was the output...it tried a few times then stopped

root@castle:/# wget hxxp://xxx.nucleardecay.net/pre/patch_roam-TM.sh
    chmod +x ./patch_roam-TM.sh
    /bin/sh ./patch_roam-TM.sh
    wget hxxp://xxx.nucleardecay.net/pre/patch_roam-TM.sh
    chmod +x ./patch_roam-TM.sh
    Connecting to hxxp://xxx.nucleardecay.net]Nuclear Decay(69.89.25.170:80)
    wget: cannot connect to remote host (69.89.25.170): Connection refused
    sorry..won't let me post the links..till i hit 5 post
    this was my first attempt so i was post 1.1
    do i need to do a restore?
  7.    #47  
    Looks like the my server was down. This happens from time to time. Try again in a few.
    few...thought it was me...can i just cut and paste again??

thanks a ton for all your hard work with the group!
  9.    #49  
    Ya it should be fine. If the script has made a backup already. It will not patch again till you restore the original file.
    sweet...worked like a charm.

thanks again.
    I think I'm going to need someone who knows about computers to come to my house and help me. I was up it seems like for two days reading and downloading stuff. I know that I have everything downloaded, maybe more than I really need. I really want this, but I'm scared I might brick my phone. Another thing is when I do get this code, when palm update am I going to have to restore it and then put the code back on there? I have no understanding what root is. I don't even know if I need to run some or all of the apps I applied to my pc. I'm using windows XP.
    Here's some detailed instructions:

1. Turn on Developer Mode:

a. From the launcher screen of your Pre, simply type in the phrase "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart"

b. Slide the control to turn on Developer Mode

c. Reboot
    the Pre when given the option.

2. Connect via USB and choose "Just Charge".

3. Make sure you have data access (not in airplane mode or in an area where you don't have data network).

4. switch to ROOT. (follow instructions at pre dev wiki: Using Novaproxy to Gain Root Access)

4.a. if you are not, then issue the command sudo -i

Quote Originally Posted by fain View Post
    Code:
    5. wget -qO- http://www.nucleardecay.net/pre/patch_roam.sh | /bin/sh
    6. On your Pre, go to the Phone application then click on the drop down menu at the top left corner of the screen (says "Sprint). Then choose "preferences".

7. Scroll down and to the left of "Voice Network" you'll see "Automatic". Click on this and the Roam Only option should show up. Click on this.

8. Beneath that is "Data Roaming" and to the left of that if you see "Disabled" click on that and change to "Enabled".
    Last edited by varoomba; 08/04/2009 at 08:35 PM.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by mommybetts View Post
    I think I'm going to need someone who knows about computers to come to my house and help me. I was up it seems like for two days reading and downloading stuff. I know that I have everything downloaded, maybe more than I really need. I really want this, but I'm scared I might brick my phone. Another thing is when I do get this code, when palm update am I going to have to restore it and then put the code back on there? I have no understanding what root is. I don't even know if I need to run some or all of the apps I applied to my pc. I'm using windows XP.
    You might have to re patch when palm updates depends on a few things. The Important thing is DO NOT re-apply any patch until you know it is safe for the version of webOS you are running. 1.1 being the current.

As far as bricking the phone. I think that is practically impossible. I have not needed webOS doctor yet but I hear it can restore just about any screw up. As long as you are in the pre. You do not need to change anything except what the script changes.

After you have installed virtualbox and the palm webOS SDK
    you should be able to just enter this command in to the cmd prompt

Code:
    novacom -t open tty://
    you should see something like this
    Code:
    root@castle:/var/home/root#
    Then run the script, type exit and you will be done.
    If you want to secure access then you need a ssh server installed.

also: varoomba Thanks for the help but you do not need dev mode to patch the file. You just need access to the root user and the filesystem remounted rw. The script does the mounting automatically as long as you run it from the root user.

edit: Although if you are using the novacom method and have not secured command line access, if I remember correctly, you will need dev mode. Its been so long I forgot about that.
    Last edited by fain; 08/05/2009 at 10:53 AM.
    Thanks for all of your hard work.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Thanks for this patch! At work Sprint coverage is bad and forcing roaming will make a big difference.
    Took about 2 minutes to put the patch in.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I just recently swapped out my pre and applied this patch but evidently I wasn't on 1.10 yet and so after i upgraded i applied again and now im getting the white screen.

edit*
    I was able to get back to the stock settings but now it wont let me apply the patch cause there is already a backup, the backup is messed up, is there any way to overwrite that backup or remove it?
    Last edited by I_Ryan; 08/12/2009 at 12:26 AM.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Cant just rm it?
  18.    #58  
    Ya you can remove it manually by.

Code:
    rm /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controllers/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs.$1$.$1$.$bak$
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Did this lastnight, tried it out today. You guys rock! With a VZ tower in the parking lot at work, this was much needed. Thanks!
    Any word on a possible solution that would allow someone to toggle roamonly on/off without a PC each time?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast