Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Wow this is so much faster and easier than the other version. The SDK really makes it more simple. I dont know how i did it lol but i did it fast. I just followed the instructions on Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals and at the end once you set password and user, instead of using putty you can stay connected to your Palm pre in dev mode on charge and type
    novacom -t open tty://
    should get you to
    root@castle:/#
    and just copy & paste patch posted by Fain (Thank you so much by the way) and bam your done.
    I tried doing this via putty and I get:

Code:
    mount: permission denied. (are you root?)
    cp: cannot create '/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controllers/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs.$1$.$1$.$bak$': $Read$-$only$ $file$ $system$
    $File$: $preflist$-$assistant$.$js$.$1$.$1$.$bak$ $does$ $not$ $exist$, $no$ $changes$ $made$

I also downloaded virtual machine and sdk on my windows xp desktop...but can't figure out how to connect it to the pre....
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmboy View Post
    I tried doing this via putty and I get:

Code:
    mount: permission denied. (are you root?)
    cp: cannot create '/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controllers/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs.$1$.$1$.$bak$': $Read$-$only$ $file$ $system$
    $File$: $preflist$-$assistant$.$js$.$1$.$1$.$bak$ $does$ $not$ $exist$, $no$ $changes$ $made$

I also downloaded virtual machine and sdk on my windows xp desktop...but can't figure out how to connect it to the pre....
    You need to be actual root and not just sudo.
    Code:
    sudo -i
    Is this all of the output?
    Quote Originally Posted by fain View Post
    You need to be actual root and not just sudo.
    Code:
    sudo -i
    That worked! Thanks!

How long do you all keep roaming on? This helps me get a signal at home at least.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmboy View Post
    That worked! Thanks!

How long do you all keep roaming on? This helps me get a signal at home at least.
    I've heard the limit is 50% of the time. Do not quote me on that cause I have no clue. I wouldn't push it though I am sure it's buried in a license some where.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

New script here but not executed in the same way. For some reason it will not execute correctly with the wget pipe yet.
    This script has the Time Machine built in.
    as root
    Code:
    URL removed ... patch_roam-TM.sh
    /bin/sh ./patch_roam-TM.sh
    First. Huge appreciation for the work you've done to help all of us here.

Question: which patch should we use?
    patch_roam-TM.sh
    or
    patch_roam.sh ?

I am confused, as you write it (patch_roam-TM.sh) will not execute correctly as per the quote above. Thanks in advance!
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwdesign View Post
    First. Huge appreciation for the work you've done to help all of us here.

Question: which patch should we use?
    patch_roam-TM.sh
    or
    patch_roam.sh ?

I am confused, as you write it (patch_roam-TM.sh) will not execute correctly as per the quote above. Thanks in advance!
    Sorry for the confusion.. Either one will work fine. The patch_roam-TM.sh has "restore to default" (aka Time Machine) built in for convenience, but will not execute the same way patch_roam.sh does.

They are basically the same script though.

The patch_roam-TM.sh file has to be downloaded and executed on the local machine to work. I am working on getting it to execute the same way as the other one. It seems as if this is a bug in /bin/sh. Though, I am not sure.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Sorry for the confusion.. Either one will work fine. The patch_roam-TM.sh has "restore to default" (aka Time Machine) built in for convenience, but will not execute the same way patch_roam.sh does.

They are basically the same script though.

The patch_roam-TM.sh file has to be downloaded and executed on the local machine to work. I am working on getting it to execute the same way as the other one. It seems as if this is a bug in /bin/sh. Though, I am not sure.
    Thanks for clarifying.
    Could someone please HELP me!! I just installed the roam only onto my pre and did this after the 1.1.0 upgrade. I must of used the wrong script cause i just gave myself a white screen. Tried using your fix fain and it did not work. I am so confused now on what i need to do to get this to work or just get the preferences back to norm. I would appreciate any help...Thanks in advance
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by luv737 View Post
    Could someone please HELP me!! I just installed the roam only onto my pre and did this after the 1.1.0 upgrade. I must of used the wrong script cause i just gave myself a white screen. Tried using your fix fain and it did not work. I am so confused now on what i need to do to get this to work or just get the preferences back to norm. I would appreciate any help...Thanks in advance
    Check your pm
    fain
    Thanks I will try it now. One more quick question.. Sorry for being so dumb but after you put in in each code do you hit return and then enter the next one then the next one or do you have to close out and then go back to start then run etc and re-enter the next code? Thank you so much for the help.
  12.    #32  
    fain
    Thanks I will try it now. One more quick question.. Sorry for being so dumb but after you put in in each code do you hit return and then enter the next one then the next one or do you have to close out and then go back to start then run etc and re-enter the next code? Thank you so much for the help.
    just hit return then the next one. Make sure you are in the pre and root. your prompt should say

root@castle:

if not then enter the command

sudo -i
    ok, one more question. you said to restart the phne app...does that mean it needs to be open when doing this?
  14.    #34  
    ok, one more question. you said to restart the phne app...does that mean it needs to be open when doing this?
    It doesn't matter. Close it just in case.
    It didn't work. After I enter the second code the reply is something about it being a read only. I am trying to take a picture of the screen so u can take a look.
    still working on it. The reply says. wegt: cant open preflist -assistant.jsjsjs.$vi$.$1$.$backup$
    fain your awesome!!! Thanks for all your help! It works great!
    For those out there who are able to make applications

Combo of posts from previous thread:

I would love to have a "toggle" program to switch between force roaming and not. And even better, have the icon of the program change depending what network I'm on, so I can look easily if I'm forced roam or not.

And my original post, "It would be really handy to have two applications - Roaming Only and Automatic that I could set a shortcut key to and turn on one or the other easily. I don't leave mine on forced roaming - but when I'm traveling through an area I know I'll need it I turn it on. Then I turn it off when I'm out of that area. Thus, minimizing my roaming minutes (which have caused me problems in the past). Not a big deal, but would be a few less steps than the process I now follow of 1. open phone app, 2. click on drop down menu, 3. choose preferences, 4. scroll down, 5. click on Roaming, 6. choose Roaming Only. A shortcut key for an app that turns on and another short cut for a different app that switches back to automatic roaming would be just one step - a nice little timesaver."

However it looks would be a timesaver.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I just wanted to keep this thread on top and THANK fain for making this easy for Precentral forum members. This mod has been extremely useful to me when I had a Comcast broadband outage for 2 days. I have an Airave and since the broadband was out, I couldn't make any calls via the Airave for support. Fortunately at work the next day I used fain's code to enable the forced roam (which is a solid 5 bars) and was able to call Comcast to have them try to fix my problem.
    Please can someone help me out. Im not that good with computers, but i can follow directions good. I believe i have downloaded everything i need, but i dont know where to start. Im using windows xp. I dont know if i should plug the phone up first to the pc or do i need to run something first on the pc.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast