Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ok i know this sounds a bit on the cheesy side and towards Apple and iPhone....but i was wondering if there's like JailBreaking the Pre like you would in the iPhone.

This honestly would be pretty cool to do

If anyone knows of an App similar please share cause that would be great
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    It's already been done. It's called HomeBrew.
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
    Technically, the equivalent would be to 'root' your Pre, since its linux-based. You can learn all about it in the webOS section.

You dont need to root your Pre to install Homebrew apps.
  4.    #4  
    No I know all that I already installed apps and all but I mean like change the original icons and sounds and all....like make a theme as you would on windows and mac
    Yea, you can change anything you want if you have root access to the phone...
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Jailbreaking an iPhone just means obtaining root access, the iPhone dev team just packages Cydia in their jailbreak tool so users will have stuff readily available to place on their phone already
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Hate to ask this but are you saying if I root my phone I can custumise my phones theme?
    Quote Originally Posted by paumpre View Post
    Hate to ask this but are you saying if I root my phone I can custumise my phones theme?
    you should theoretically be able change anything within WebOS if you root your phone if you know enough about programming and modifying WebOS code. So far additions/customizations are limited because the phone's been out for such a short amount of time.
  9.    #9  
    That would be a really awesome app to have if you can do that to the pre....wonder how long will it be before a developer comes out with a jailbreak for the pre
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    jailbreak also = being able to run on another carrier, right. So you would also need to be able to fully run the Pre on big V to be a full jailbreak. Or am I wrong on this point?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccoy68 View Post
    jailbreak also = being able to run on another carrier, right. So you would also need to be able to fully run the Pre on big V to be a full jailbreak. Or am I wrong on this point?
    Problem with that is, verizon will not activate the ESN from a phone they didnt issue. That's the whole problem with CDMA, the carriers refuse to take each other's handsets.

The reason why the iPhone is so popular with T-Mobile, is because the iPhone can be unlocked and all you have to do is pop in a T-Mobile sim (vs an AT&T sim) and T-Mobile just automatically accepts it.
    Here is the link to the Homebrew Forum now with over 60 apps.

Jailbreak is similar to the Rooting. Here are the steps for rooting your pre.

- Craig
    Jailbreaking is required when you are locked in Prison. We are not with the Pre. What we do is get terminal access in Linux.
    Before you consider, Rooting Your Pre, take a look at the dozens of new apps for your Pre: Homebrew Forum.

Rooting or "Jailbreaking" in the case of the Pre is really gaining access to the Linux operating system. Rooting is not for someone who is new to programming or Linux. Rooting can "brick" your Pre so that is cannot be fixed. But by rooting the pre, developers have shown that you can add many important missing features or modify exiting applications.

Here are the Accessing Linux: Rooting your Pre and Installing the SDK on Windows webOSdev Palm.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/23/2009 at 10:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Jailbreaking is required when you are locked in Prison. We are not with the Pre. What we do is get terminal access in Linux.
    This apparently cannot be stated enough times. The access you have to the Pre is built in. We don't need to "exploit" a "hole" like with the iPhone. Palm has provided access already. We don't need to jailbreak it. You don't need an application to do it. It's already there. See http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1762553.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    You are wrong. Jailbreak has nothing to do with changing carriers. On GSM networks (like the iphone uses), that is referred to "unlocking" a phone so you can use another carrier's SIM card, like T-Mobile for example.

On CMDA carriers like Sprint and Verizon, you don't have SIM cards. You have to get the carrier to provision your ESN, and in general, they are reluctant to do that. It is not something you control from the phone side at all; it is all done on the carrier side.

Jailbreak on an iPhone refers to the ability to install unauthorized applications not available in the App Store, and which do things like tethering. (On the iPhone, there is also a method to side load applications via USB for "testing", somewhat analagous to HomeBrew loading in Developer Mode without rooting a Pre. One difference on the iPhone is the app must be "provisioned" and compiled with the unique ID of each device where it will be tested, and you can compile at most 100 of those IDs into a single instance of an app.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreOwned View Post
    You are wrong. Jailbreak has nothing to do with changing carriers. On GSM networks (like the iphone uses), that is referred to "unlocking" a phone so you can use another carrier's SIM card, like T-Mobile for example.

On CMDA carriers like Sprint and Verizon, you don't have SIM cards. You have to get the carrier to provision your ESN, and in general, they are reluctant to do that. It is not something you control from the phone side at all; it is all done on the carrier side.

Jailbreak on an iPhone refers to the ability to install unauthorized applications not available in the App Store, and which do things like tethering. (On the iPhone, there is also a method to side load applications via USB for "testing", somewhat analagous to HomeBrew loading in Developer Mode without rooting a Pre. One difference on the iPhone is the app must be "provisioned" and compiled with the unique ID of each device where it will be tested, and you can compile at most 100 of those IDs into a single instance of an app.
    You could always change the ESN of the phone...

EDIT: Doubt this has been figured out on the Pre yet, but I've done it on other handsets in the past.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    there is nothing like admitting criminal activity on a public blog...
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    The phone has also already been proven to work with Verizon. I've read at least 2 posts about it, if you search. I don't think they've gotten data to work yet, though.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Jailbreak and Phone unlock are different issues.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast