Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Happened at the same time. Tried to turn off the phone to reset it when the ringer volume bar at the bottom appeared at zero and wouldn't go away, but the phone wouldn't turn off, it would just turn off the screen. Removed battery and restarted the phone and it went back to normal. Then I went to plug it in last night to charge, and it disabled the system volume. So I went into the volume app and raised the system volume, which worked. But this morning someone texted me and I heard it but it started lowering the volume to zero. Went back into the volume app to raise the ringtone volume, but it would keep on lowering it. Any suggestions?
    I think there might be something wrong with the phone itself. I have this same problem. What seems to be happening is that the lowering volume button is not working at all.... yet the volume randomly turns itself off. I've even taken the side rocker button off and seen the volume push itself to off even without touching it. I figured it was something software related, but last night I used the web Doc Os, and had a fresh start with the same issue. I don't know what causing it. Guess I have no choice but to try a new one.
    i have the same problem, the big downside is using mp3 or pandora ...cant adjust volume
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Do you have a hard cover on your Pre?

I have watched my hard cover "Press" my volume button when the phone is opened. Then you close the phone and your volume is on low.

The volume buttons are very close to the edge and with the "play" as the phone opens, the buttons can be impacted by the overhanging edge of the shell.

This may not be all cases ... but I am an eye witness to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cooltpmd View Post
    Do you have a hard cover on your Pre?

I have watched my hard cover "Press" my volume button when the phone is opened. Then you close the phone and your volume is on low.

The volume buttons are very close to the edge and with the "play" as the phone opens, the buttons can be impacted by the overhanging edge of the shell.

This may not be all cases ... but I am an eye witness to this.
    I dont think in my case it is. I had the lil piece hanging out trouble shooting, so it wasn't anything it could touch. First problem with the pre before since launch day. And also a day before I leave for 2 weeks. Maybe I can find a work around, for it.
    It is definitely not the case. I have been having that problem and sometimes the alarm does not work in the morning because the volume is at zero.
    Same thing happened to me after it sat in the rain for 10 minutes in a downpour. Took off volume button. noticed black crud or ink like material on the gold conductors, scratched it off set on heat vent of my vehicle for 10 minutes...presto no more decreasing volume problem
    This is the second time its happened. It seems to start doing during pandora playback but not everytime. It did about 10 retarts the first time and it finally fixed the issue now it started doing it again. The volume bar is constantly on screen and the volume turns down. ****ing me off. any answer? Thanks
    "Same thing happened to me after it sat in the rain for 10 minutes in a downpour. Took off volume "button. noticed black crud or ink like material on the gold conductors, scratched it off set on heat vent of my vehicle for 10 minutes...presto no more decreasing volume problem"

That solved the problem for me. Thanks very much. The phone got wet from a rain-drenched soccer bag. Then the alarm volume+ wouldn't go up. In the sounds app the scale would slide down to zero automatically. So I took the back cover off and noticed the gunk you mentioned by the contacts, and scraped it off with my fingernail. The sound came back on immediately.

That's all it took, and is a lifesaver, for getting up in the morning.
    How did you take off the volume button without damaging it?
    I had the same problem - after the phone got slightly wet, the ringer volume would automatically scroll to zero and the volume icon would not go away. I took off the back cover, gently pried off the volume buttons, and used an alcohol wipe to gently clean the metal contacts. The volume button snaps back into place, top first. Now working perfectly. Thanks for the tip!
    that worked for me thank you.
    Last edited by chris6551; 06/19/2010 at 08:52 PM.
    I had the same problem. Installed Mode Switcher and set volume to highest level in all profiles, problem solved.
    Laissez Faire
    Wow yet another person who is having the same issue as I am, and I just found someone else tonight!

I started a message thread about my issue at:

http://forums.precentral.net/general...-help-one.html

And one I found tonight is at:

http://forums.precentral.net/subscri...n&folderid=all

Moderator, can we merge these threads together? Maybe then we can make this an real issue, since it seems like it's popping up in the last few days a lot!

Thanks!

Rob

And no, I have not found a fix yet!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    I had the same problem. Installed Mode Switcher and set volume to highest level in all profiles, problem solved.
    But we should not have to do this!

I am using Xorg Tools to run a CRON that every hour on the hour the Pre will increase it's volume settings to 100%

I can try this as well, but it doesn't address why it's happening in the first place!

Rob

UPDATE: Just took off volume key plastic cover and found no dirt. But blew out anyway. I doubt this was the cause. It comes up on it's own even when on Touchstone, as other have reported. Might try the Mode Switcher until a fix is solved.
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 06/20/2010 at 01:39 AM.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Another patch that causes similar problems; Volume decreasing to 0 and the volume ringer bar showing up @ full and 0 volume... The disabling of notifications during phone calls patch was doing all of the things mentioned above. (if this patch is installed, it's definitely the culprit, if not, might be crud!?)
    Wow - 2 old threads on this pop up a day after I start having the same problem.

Spooky...
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I've been having the same issue for the last week or so. I was about to WOS-Doctor my phone, but decided to try the volume button trick instead. I'll let you know the results.
    that's a patch that needs to be updated . The one Johnnypre is referring to .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    that's a patch that needs to be updated . The one Johnnypre is referring to .
    Except that I don't have this patch installed, and I have been having this problem.

I suspect that it might very well be the "black crud" that people are talking about. Actually I think that it is black anti-corrosion paint that was added to the volume contacts to prevent them from turning green and corroding. It's possible that the paint was either applied improperly or is simply chemically breaking down and inhibiting the electrical contacts.

The reason I say this is because prior to cleaning the black stuff off I could only turn my volume UP, not DOWN, and I would get the "voluem goes to 0" problem regularly. NOW with cleaned contacts, I can use the volume button normally. We'll see about the volume issue, I only just finished cleaning them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast