Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Originally posted by cc44bluez:
    Last night I did a hard reset of my Pre (done before). When I signed back into my account all my contact info was lost?? Sprint nor Palm can tell me how this happened... since I'm logging back into my profile. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?? I have no backup of the info what-so-ever!! Am I totally screwed????
    That is only supposed to happen if you go the site and ask for a full erase. Where did the data on you Pre come from? You should be able to re-install your contacts from Outlook, Palm Desktop, or whatever source you originally used. It won't give you the new data, but at least it will only be 2 months of lost data. I'd also recommend using SyncToy or some other backup system that gives you the ability to retrieve your data locally or from your own system.

I backup with SyncToy every morning as a way to install converted videos and backup current data. Review the thread so that it will give your instructions on how to set up folders for truly user-preference driven backup experience.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    That is what Palm said... only if I go to the site and ask for a full erase. In this instance, this is not the case, I did it from from the Pre! This is what Palm and Sprint said should not happen! The people @ Palm were especially interested in this!! They sent me to the uber development team!! I could totally tell they had me on speaker phone to tell them what I did. Maybe... I have stubble onto something? Well, the long story short.... It looks like I'm screwed!!!
    Originally posted by cc44bluez:
    Well, the long story short.... It looks like I'm screwed!!!
    What was your original device before the Pre? Did you use Outlook or Gmail to back up your contacts. All is not lost, we just have to figure out what data you have in other places. There's only two months of data on the Pre, before that, the information was somewhere else. What was your previous source?
    pissed off i am.. had to wipe my phone because the touchscreen stopped working.. and backup DID NOT restore anything.. now i have to charge my old mogul and manually readd all my contacts..
    'ello. I just had my Pre replaced because of phone being in headset mode (I did everything on this board and nothing, it was a goner ) Anyway before I activated, I did a backup so I wouldn't have to spend much time to fix up the new pre (which actually feels better so I guess its good that audiojack problem happen) anyway. I sync, activated new Pre, put in developer mode to make sure all the homebrew apps didn't have any problems and then sync old backup to new pre. It was a no go. It did sync my media just fine but none of the apps got sync backed, and some of the apps I tried to use just came up black screen, well, it came up black once, and nother blank one came above it, like it was trying to run the same app twice. Sadly, Synctoy let me down. Was hoping for an easy sync. Maybe can't sync old backup to new devices, just the same device.
    Originally posted by LupeValenz:
    . . .I sync, activated new Pre, put in developer mode to make sure all the homebrew apps didn't have any problems and then sync old backup to new pre. It was a no go. It did sync my media just fine but none of the apps got sync backed, and some of the apps I tried to use just came up black screen, well, it came up black once, and nother blank one came above it, like it was trying to run the same app twice. Sadly, Synctoy let me down. Was hoping for an easy sync. Maybe can't sync old backup to new devices, just the same device.
    I'm sorry about your experience. I have a couple of questions. Did you have it on Eco for SyncToy and was it your rooted homebrews or all homebrews that didn't come over?

If the answer to yes to eco and all homebrews, then I think we'll need to try a new backup source if we're wanting our homebrews. I didn't have that many homebrews when I did my restore with SyncToy and I was mainly concentrating on my SplashID data and Media.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I'm sorry about your experience. I have a couple of questions. Did you have it on Eco for SyncToy and was it your rooted homebrews or all homebrews that didn't come over?

If the answer to yes to eco and all homebrews, then I think we'll need to try a new backup source if we're wanting our homebrews. I didn't have that many homebrews when I did my restore with SyncToy and I was mainly concentrating on my SplashID data and Media.
    Yup yup, sadly thats the answer. . I didn't do any rooted, afraid to damage my Pre so only did the Homebrew apps. This is why I'm missing a SD Card slot and having an on device backup app. RescoBackup was very handy.
    Originally posted by LupeValenz:
    Yup yup, sadly thats the answer. . I didn't do any rooted, afraid to damage my Pre so only did the Homebrew apps. This is why I'm missing a SD Card slot and having an on device backup app. RescoBackup was very handy.
    That is not good news. There is another backup option, SyncBack. I don't know if it would have a different result, but it sounds like a more powerful backup and allows timed backups like NVBackup and RescoeBackup. You might want to contact members and see what their experience. SyncBack also appears to allow incremental backups.
    When I got my Pre I had Sprint transfer my phone numbers from my old phone. Now I have a Gmail account and have my email addresses synced up with my Pre. I love how the Pre combines both lists. Do you know of a way to include the contacts with just phone numbers back to Google so that the online google contact list is the same as the pre list? Also does anybody know how to get the birthdays from Facebook to show up in the calendar?
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    can someone confirm that you can backup AND restore your sms messages using SYncTOy? I think system files are hidden so i am skeptical.

RIght now i am only using SYnctoy to backup my CLassicApps.
    not that i have seen so far
    Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    can someone confirm that you can backup AND restore your sms messages using SYncTOy? I think system files are hidden so i am skeptical.

RIght now i am only using SYnctoy to backup my CLassicApps.
    I'm pretty sure that my sms messages did not come over and it was one of the things I missed.

But there are a few options for sms recovery:
    • Try another backup option, possibly SyncBack. It looks like it has a free trial for the full version.
    • Use e-mail since your Pre allows you to get them as desktop alerts.
    • Use Google Voice as your mobile #. It will keep the messages until you erase them and gDial Pro shows you your history and has an automatic load to your phone option.
    this info is great guys..thanx!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    See the Palm Pre Tips and Tricks for many other tips.

Warning: The Pre Backup does not backup your music, photos, ringtones, wallpaper, stored files, WiFi settings or passwords, SMS messages, speed dials, Web Bookmarks, Launcher customizations, or apps you did not obtain from the App Store.

Also, at this time, there seems to be no one program that will backup every file and setting on your Pre to either Mac or PC automatically.

Your Palm Pre will automatically backup contacts, calendar events, tasks, passwords, settings, and apps from the App Catalog every day. To verify that automatic back up is on, tap Launcher then Backup and make sure Backup is turned on. You can also force a backup to occur now.

The Pre Synergy feature can synchronize contacts, calendar, and email with a Google account or Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync. These synchronized contacts, calendars, and email are not backed up by the Pre Backup. Third party apps provide additional capabilities:
    PocketMirror synchronizes Mac Outlook 2003 or 2007 contacts & calendar. Echo for PCs.
    The Missing Sync synchronizes Mac or PC Address Book, iTunes, iCal, iPhoto, ringtones, etc.
    CompanionLink can sync Outlook, Act, or GoldMine Contacts and Calendar but not ringtones, music, or photos.

You can manually just copy the Pre as a USB drive to a folder on your PC or from the PC to the Pre. The problem is in determining if the files are different which you want to keep. That is where synchronization comes in. Automatic sychronization like SyncBack offers makes sure that it gets done on an ongoing basis.

SyncToy or SyncBack can backup your music, photos, ringtones, and other files not backed up by the Pre Backup feature.

These instructions are to set up SyncToy but also work for SyncBack.

1. Plug in the Pre and select USB Drive.
    2. Download SyncToy and install.
    3. Right-click SyncToy (probably the last item under Start-Programs) and Send to Desktop as shortcut.
    4. Click SyncToy on your desktop to run SyncToy for the first time.
    5. Click Create New Folder Pair. For the Left Folder, Browse to the Pre's Drive (maybe E: or F.
    5. For the right folder browse to your documents folder and create a new subdirectory such as PreBackup and select it.
    6. Choose to Synchronize and name your folder pair something easy to remember like PreBackup.
    7. Click Run.

From now on you can just click your SyncToy icon on your desktop to backup your Pre. If you want to add photos or other files to you Pre the next time you backup, just drop them into their directory under that PreBackup subdirectory.

The first backup may take a while, especially if you have a lot of music or photos. But future backups will be incremental only synchronizing files that have changed or are new or deleted.

Note that SyncBack can also automatically backup your Pre everyday at a certain time such as overnight if at home or during the day if the backup is at the office.

Also note that SyncBack also lets you control what happens if a file is in one folder but not in the other. For instance, if you deleted a file from the Pre, do you want the backup to force it back onto the Pre or to ask you what to do? If a file is newer on the Pre or backup, should the other file be updated to the new file or would you like it to ask you what to do? If you try SychBack consider upgrading to the SE version.

A number of other programs have been discussed that can also backup certain files on your Pre:
    DoubleTwist (Mac, PC) -Recommended by Dieter for music and photos.
    Foobar (PC)
    iTuneMy Walkman (Mac)
    iTunes Agent (If Apple blocks Pre syncing) (PC)
    MediaMonkey (PC)
    Rhythmbox (Linux)
    Salling (Mac, PC)
    SharePod (PC)
    Songbird (Mac, PC, Linux)
    SuperSync (Mac, PC)
    Winamp (PC)

For further information, please see:
    Sync your Palm Pre (Backup Option)
    Media Sync Alternatives

- Craig
    Why are these backup apps so EXPENSIVE? Yeesh!
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that my sms messages did not come over and it was one of the things I missed.

But there are a few options for sms recovery:
    • Try another backup option, possibly SyncBack. It looks like it has a free trial for the full version.
    • Use e-mail since your Pre allows you to get them as desktop alerts.
    • Use Google Voice as your mobile #. It will keep the messages until you erase them and gDial Pro shows you your history and has an automatic load to your phone option.
    Cool. You just gave me another reason to use Google Voice more often.
    I'd greatly appreciate a customer review for SuperSync for Windows from a group of Palm Pre users. I found out about it in this forum, but I haven't noticed any testimonials or critique yet.
    Good info
    I just wanted to throw in a little something I learned today. I found a way to pretty much back up everything so you can replace it all after running webosdoctor or something. Ok when you back up your information, it doesn't back up photos and ringtones and all that. Well what I did was since I used itunes to put in my music, I just sent all my music files to my email account. Then I put my pre in usb mode and took every file saved to the pre and put it in a folder (I would name it Palm Pre for easy rememberance in case you have short term memory loss). Then I ran webosdoctor due to problems I was having on my pre and got rid of everything. Once I was in the process of restoring my pre, I put in my information to retrieve my backed up data. After waiting a good 5 to 10 minutes for that to finish, I put my pre in usb mode again and deleted the folders on my pre and took the files from my "Palm Pre" folder and put it back in my pre. After all that was finished, I went into my email and got all my music back. This process brought back around 90% of my pre. The rest I had to get from preware and the tweaks from webos quick install. So now I have my whole pre back and fixed the problems I had before I did all this. I hope this can help some people that are afraid of losing all they got.

Wow. Typing all that from my pre was killing my thumbs lol
    Is it just me or did Palm take a step backwards in their backing up ability. What happened to the days before where you put your phone in the cradle press a button and everything is sync'd and backed up?
    I read this forum with everyone saying try this program or that program and some will only backup these files. ***! Did we go back in time or is Palm trying to be like everyone else with a *&%$ed up way to sync and back things up. I thought that was Palm's bread and butter the ability to sync with your desktop.
    Don't get me wrong, I like the new phone and all, but why did they go and make syncing so complicated.
    Somehow with the syncing feature, my phone always had data get corrupted or wiped out somehow (usually after a crash). What worked for me was backing up to card.

This desktop method of backup when you want, almost takes the place of that. I just wish it was a total backup of the phones system. I'm thinking of some methods to fix that, it just hasn't been important enough for me to do it.
    For those who want a free program and one which works well try FreeFileSync. It can tell you which files are newer and you can select how to sync the files as well. FreeFileSync | Get FreeFileSync at SourceForge.net . By the way this only works on Windows and Linux.

And yes, I'm waiting for a program which can actually work like Resco backup which backs up everything or at least everything except for the videos/audio.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast