Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So the touch screen on my Pre stopped working yesterday...is there any way to select the USB drive mode on the device without using the touch screen to select the mode? I have some pictures I would like to get off before I swap out my phone with Sprint. My Pre is not rooted.
    Last edited by jalapeno; 07/11/2009 at 09:52 PM.
    I don't think it is going to be possible. Unless you have already rooted it and you can connect to it through SSH and then setup an ftp server.
    I did the same thing, one guy at tech support had me do this;

hold vol. up button, without letting go of it taake the battery out and replace battery then connect usb cable to a running computer, then let go of vol. up button,

then it asks to install device but his phone diconnected and I haven't been able to find anyone since to do the same thing and finish it. This company has the worst support I have ever dealt with, this is crazy! It is actually worse than Sprint.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    I had rooted mine, and ran the sftp instructions to pull the pics off the phone. I'd definitely try the other routes first, that way was a pain.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    I had rooted mine, and ran the sftp instructions to pull the pics off the phone. I'd definitely try the other routes first, that way was a pain.
    If you ever sent them as picturemail they will be in your online album. Sprint.com/Picturemail other than that as far as I know you can't put it in usb without the touchscreen. I can't say it's not possible though, I'm not sure where the tech was going with holding the volume up key as that's not in any documentation I've ever seen.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    The volume up key can be used to get the device into recovery mode, where it can be reflashed with webOS Doctor. However, if there is a hardware problem, then you're correct - reflashing does absolutely nothing other than erase your data.
    how can I erase it then? I don't want to send it back with pics on it either
    Send a remote wipe from your palm profile. Make sure your phone is on.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I'm in the same boat...Broken screen, want to get the data off. I did get into the phone with webos Dr. to install preload before I broke it. Does that mean I rooted it? Can someone explain where/what the "sftp instructions" are?

Also, for those that may have this same issue, BACK UP YOUR PHONE!! I had a ton of data on that using as a USB drive. I thought it was backed up. Apparently not, none of the apps I had downloaded or nothing came back. Just my contacts and calendar from google. Palm needs to make like a TAB key so you can at least fumble through using the keyboard to at least do simple things like select USB DRIVE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecp421 View Post
    how can I erase it then? I don't want to send it back with pics on it either
    Oh, *those* types of pics... snicker...
    From Palm: Press the Orange key, SYM key and "U" key simultaneously.
    I love you! This is just what I needed to get my photos off my Palm Pre with a broken touchscreen. Two Sprint store employees and one phone "tech" support guy said it couldn't be done....
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I had the same issue, though when I plugged the USB cable in, the touchscreen started working for a short while.
    I have the new phone from Asurion and the Sprint store did not know this trick to get the photos off the phone. Now I am left with a screen that is broken, a ton of images on the phone, and the screen reads "Signed Out" and the only two options I have are to erase all data or restart the phone. Any help would be great! The trick to press the orange button, sym key and either the R at the same time, or I am guessing the E will restart the phone or erase it. So I am not pressing the E any time soon.

The problem is that I am running out of time to mess with this and avoid the $500 invoice from Asurion.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbode View Post
    I had the same issue, though when I plugged the USB cable in, the touchscreen started working for a short while.
    Same here.
    it seems to only work if I unplug and replug the charger, if not the touchscreen and led lock up.

I recently installed some new patches and I didn't have a problem before them, I'm sure one was the phone menu ultramix.
    Please let me know what new things you installed in the past week or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    From Palm: Press the Orange key, SYM key and "U" key simultaneously.
    I had the same dilemma and figured it out by myself but this is the best way. just plug up via usb and hit the keys and vioala on your pc. check my computer if it doesnt automatically start
    Any way to go from usb mode back to charging mode without unplugging the cable?
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    to follow up on my previous post, I removed 4x4 no arrows patch and my touchscreen is working again. BUT I played around with the usb plug inserted into the phone and I seems that when the usb port is pushed down the touch screen starts working too. So I'm leaning more towards bad hardware since the patch should have nothing to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tserna View Post
    Any way to go from usb mode back to charging mode without unplugging the cable?
    nope not that i know of and I've tried everything I could think of.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast