Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I've searched but can't find anyone else talking about this problem, so excuse me if it's been covered.

Does anyone else have a problem with their slider being hard to slide open? When my pre was new it would pop open easily. Lately it has been sticking and getting worse.

I've also notices scratches on the lower lip of the keyboard and along the sides.

The top half is slightly loose, it doesn't want to oreo.

I used to open the pre by cradling it in my interlaced fingers and then pushing up from the bottom with both thumbs. Now I sometimes find I need to put my thumbs on the screen in the center of the device to keep it from getting stuck.

It feels like the bottom of the screen is flexing down and grinding on the keyboard.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Just noticed that the mirror is starting tog et scratches from the slider as well.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Have the same problem with mine...exact same problem. On my handset there is a slight gap between the two halves on the right side, the left side is pefectly flush. Thus, I have no "oreo" or cosmetically visible "gap" while, asthetcially pleasing the problem is that having the top half flush with bottom half forces you to really push the slider up forcefully to get it open. This gets annoying because sometimes it works okay...but sometimes you really got shove it hard for it to open. It's an engineering flaw that they will need to fix on the next Pre (assuming there is one) I love having the slider curve toward your ear so it's not a candybar style phone but the drawback is that there needs to be a more sophisticated design to open and close the phone. The current slider design NEEDS to be revised. Also, my Pre's mirror is also getting scratched up; just noticed it after reading your last post.

What I do to open the phone on the first try 90% of the time is to keep my thumb on the right side of my phone while sliding up. The reason I push on the right side is because that side has more of "gap" then the left side. This allows some play when I push down to slide up. Opening it on the left side is almost impossible because it grinds like a mother on the bottom half and won't slide up.

I love the software, the hardware needs some significant improvements.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    I was able to coax a paper towel in between the two halves by opening it slightly and then pulling it back and forth to work it in deeper and opening and closing the phone. I did this from both ends and it helped clean some crud out...
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I used an air duster to blow out the phone, and it didn't seem to help. I smoothed out the rails along the sides of the keyboard last night and that seemed to help at first, but relief was short-lived.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I was thinking in order to gain the needed gap between the two halves...perhaps sanding down half a centimeter of the plastic could help keep the slider moving freely? Seems pretty invasive though

The phone's hardware is just ****ty by design...I'm already thinking Pre 2; which is exactly what I think Palm wanted consumers to think. You put out a perfect product to start out with; ya gotta slowly real em' in with better and better products, but never, never perfect. Palm knows what they're doing.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I was thinking in order to gain the needed gap between the two halves...perhaps sanding down half a centimeter of the plastic could help keep the slider moving freely? Seems pretty invasive though

The phone's hardware is just ****ty by design...I'm already thinking Pre 2; which is exactly what I think Palm wanted consumers to think. You can't put out a perfect product to start out with; ya gotta slowly real em' in with better and better products, but never, never perfect. Palm knows what they're doing.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Oh, I forgot to mention that my handset is starting to oreo while closed; this was not the case 12 hours ago
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Manager at the Sprint store is getting 5 New pre's On monday he is going to swap me straight up.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Mine wants to oreo when closes and when I have the charger plugged in I have to force the phone open or closed so I just leave it open while charging.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zna03 View Post
    Mine wants to oreo when closes and when I have the charger plugged in I have to force the phone open or closed so I just leave it open while charging.
    Wow...I never have to force my open! That needs to swapped out! The main concern with mine is that I don't like that the slider isn't smooth; it feels grindy and hesistant. I would like to see a disected pre to see exactly what Palm used in order to get the phone to slide. Ideally, I think aluminum rails would give the device a very nice, classy slide. I do still think though, that Palm intends on slowly bringing the Pre to "maturity" through sucessive generations. Similar to the way car manufacturer's do with a successive model vehicle (Audi A4 is a perfect example of this)
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I have noticed this on my phone and my wife's phone.
    If you try to slide it from the bottom of the screen, it jams up. If you slide it with your finger in the middle of the screen, it works fine.
    I am sliding it from the middle of the screen. It does seem counter intuitive to do that though.
    I have the exact same problem. My wifes is fine no scratching or anything. I am on my way to corp store, main issue being battery life being much much worde than the wifes, all settings email wifi the same and unused overnight hers goes to 80% mine is at 65
  14. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Got a 2nd hand Pre with exactly this problem. No Oreo which was my biggest worry but push up using a pressure point anywhere near the bottom half of the screen (as is the natural thing to do) and 90% of the time it'l jam halfway. Technique I now use is 2 handed - thumbs at top of screen. or one handed - thumb at top right of screen. Then it's much smoother. but still hard to do if in a car cradle or TS.

Looking closely with the keyboard extended I can see abrasion marks especially at the top of the keyboard bezel, but the porblem comes from when the two narrow edges of the keyboard are squeezed together when opening. It's fundamental design flaw - anyone would know that rubbing plastic against plastic is bound to bind. If they had made one of the surfaces metal (like they do with top half runners - check under the battery) the problem wouldn't exist.

I see the Plus slider is supposed to be redesigned but I don't know if that improves just Oreo or fluidity as well. Is it that much better? Not been able to find a closeup comparison on YouTube. Then again that's immaterial as there's no sign of it (or the Pixi) being released over here. Sadly Palm just don't give a stuff about customers outside their homeland.
    Last edited by Me2; 03/13/2010 at 03:35 AM.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Could someone please explain what does "oreo" means?
    I'm not familiar with this expression... (english is not my primary language)

Thank you,
    regards
    my first pre did this..trust me and send it back to sprint/palm/verizon for a replacement..it only gets worse
  17. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darmar View Post
    Could someone please explain what does "oreo" means?
    I'm not familiar with this expression... (english is not my primary language)

Thank you,
    regards
    "The Oreo effect" relates to a USA biscuit advertising campaign where the convention is to twist the two halves apart and lick the filling before dunking (dipping) in milk.

The relevance to the Palm Pre is the way the sliding mechanism on some phones has too much play, causing the two halves to rotate slightly when twisted.

On some Pres this is quite bad and can make the phone feel like it's going to fall apart. If you get one like this you should try and exchange it as it will get worse over time. It's a weakness in the hinge that was supposedly fixed in the Pre Plus.
    Last edited by Me2; 04/10/2010 at 08:28 AM.
    With the battery out, I put just the slightest film of Minwax finishing wax on the sliders using a Q-tip. I also put some on the mirror along where the sliders go when it is closed. Worked wonders. But don't goop it up! Just a slight film is all you need. Oh yeah, I cleaned the mirror after I thought the sliders were coated.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I've had the verizon pre plus going on 6 months now and my slider is sticking now. A few minutes ago it got stuck so that I couldn't see the top row of keyboard. I ended up taking off back cover and sort of separating the front and back before it would slide again. I also have the scratches on te mirror. So if they fixed the issue with the pre plus they sure didn't do a good job.... Unrelated but I also recently noticed my phone has these weird "cracks" on the screen from center button up towards the charge port. They seem to be inside the screen b they don't feel like cracks and can only be see at certain angles. All I could find was that it's an issue with the sprint version of the pre but haven't seen anything about it happening with the verizon ones. I hope that these issues won't cause further problems because I do love the phone but I won't keep it if things keep happening.