Page 1 of 26 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    See the Palm Pre Tips and Tricks for many other tips.

Notes: 1. There are batteries for the Palm Pre with double the battery life.
    2. If you are getting poor signal strength at home, it can quickly drain the battery as the Pre keeps searching for a better signal, roaming, etc. The Airave can help with battery life as well as poor signal strength.
    3. Consider Mode Switcher for All Day battery life.

Currently battery life is an issue for many users but there are a number of steps you can take that can help. See How To: Improve Battery Life; Plus: Battery-friendly Accessories

Display Off is not the same as Turn Off
    ►Tapping the Power button on the top turns the display off but not the phone, WiFi, Bluetooth or GPS radios.
    ►To turn everything off, press and hold the Power button then tap Turn Off to turn off the phone, WiFi, and Bluetooth.
    ►Check your remaining battery % by clicking on the battery icon on the top-right of the screen.
    ---► Airplane Mode On turns off the phone, WiFi, etc. but PDA features (calendar, contacts, etc.) still work.

WiFi Can Save Your Battery
    ►The WiFi will power down automatically when the display is off unless certain web apps or pages were left running.
    ►Wifi uses much less power to surf the internet than the Sprint cellular data network.

Email Can Drain Your Battery
    ►Reduce email drain: Tap Email, the Email menu at the top-left, Preferences & Accounts, then the account & then…
    ---►Check email less often: Set Get Email to 2 , 6 , or 12 hours or even manually. (As Items Arrive is best if available)
    ---►Reduce notifications: Set Show Notification Off and Vibrate Off. Play Sound takes the least power.

Turn Off Everything You Can
    ►Use Battery Saver to turn Airplane Mode On automatically when you sleep - also turns off ringer and alerts!
    ►Save battery by not having cards (apps) open that you are not using. Press the Center button then flick the card up.
    ►Set your screen to turn off after a shorter period of inactivity: Tap Launcher, Screen & Lock , then Turn off after…
    ►Turn off all Location Services (you will be asked as needed now): Tap Launcher, Location Services, turn each off.
    ►If you won't have phone reception, turn Airplane Mode On (phone off). Searching for a signal or roaming drains power.
    ►Reduce screen brightness: Tap Launcher, Screen & Lock ,and move the Brightness slider to the left.
    ►Turn off Camera Flash when possible: Tap Launcher then Camera and turn the flash off.

Airave Gets Better Signal and Saves Battery Life
    ►If you have poor signal strength at home, the Pre can quickly drain the battery searching for a better signal, roaming, etc.
    ►The Airave can help with battery life as well as getting 5 bars of signal.

It's Like Voting In Chicago: Charge Early Charge Often
    ►Charge your phone often. The battery has a much longer useful life when it is topped off frequently.

These tips are summarized from dozens of threads including:
    * Tutorial: How To: Improve Battery Life; Plus: Battery-friendly Accessories
    * Battery Life
    * GPS and AIM off, battery drain fixed
    * Ultimate Battery Savings
    * Battery Tips
    * How I Doubled My Battery Life
    * Wifi Really Does Help Battery Life!!
    * Turn off Background Data Collection
    ...and many more. I have been testing each tips for several weeks now and can confirm that the ones listed above did work for me. These are now included in the Tips and Tricks.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/05/2011 at 05:45 PM.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Background apps do NOT waste more battery than with them being closed.
    At least test before you post. I will soon be posting a thread about all these things that people clain wastes battery when in fact they don't.
    Here's an easier way to access a quick check on battery life, date/time, wi-fi/bluetooth settings, etc.

Instead of tapping on the battery icon on the top right; tap on the time on the upper panel...much easier to access.
    Quote Originally Posted by circainfinity View Post
    here's an easier way to access a quick check on battery life, date/time, wi-fi/bluetooth settings, etc.

Instead of tapping on the battery icon on the top right; tap on the time on the upper panel...much easier to access.
    great tip, thanks!!!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preman View Post
    Background apps do NOT waste more battery than with them being closed.
    At least test before you post. I will soon be posting a thread about all these things that people clain wastes battery when in fact they don't.
    Preman,

I did not claim that these things waste power. I said that "there are a number of steps you can take that can help."

Some applications can be put in the background with almost no discernible power draw.

But some apps can draw power while in the background:
    *A streaming radio may require constant EVDO or WiFi streaming and continue to draw power even with the volume set to zero.
    *An animated weather radar site set to update every few minutes can also draw power.
    *Put the Google Maps or Sprint Navigation GPS programs in the background with sound off as you drive and they will continue to use the the GPS, Local Services, and the data network - all of which can draw power. As you go through low signal areas, they seem to draw even more power.
    * Turn on the Pre music app, turn the sound volume to zero and put it in the background and it will continue to draw power even though it is not making a sound.
    * Messaging apps keep you logged in even if the app is in the background or even if you close the app! -See the Tutorial.
    * One third party app was constantly refreshing even when in the background. That one is fixed now but you know that there will be others and this is not covered in the SDK.

I am an electrical engineer with a test and measurement background. I said this because I did test multiple scenarios on more than one Pre that did increase the power drain.

There are dozens of others that I do still want to test but at least this sampling proved to me that background apps can draw power.

Can you tell us more about your test results for these situations that showed that "Background apps do NOT waste more battery than with them being closed."

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/09/2009 at 02:28 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Circainfinity View Post
    Here's an easier way to access a quick check on battery life, date/time, wi-fi/bluetooth settings, etc.

That is easier. I will add it to the Tips and Tricks.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    It seems to me that tapping anwhere from the clock to the battery icon will activate the menu. Thanks.
    -Polen
    History: StarTAC(Sprint) -> Sony Ericson(AT&T) -> Samsung SPH-i500 Palm(Sprint) -> Mogul(Sprint) -> Touch(Sprint) -> Pre(Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    Preman,

I did not claim that these things waste power. I said that "there are a number of steps you can take that can help."

Some applications can be put in the background with almost no discernible power draw.

But some apps can draw power while in the background:
    *A streaming radio may require constant EVDO or WiFi streaming and continue to draw power even with the volume set to zero.
    *An animated weather radar site set to update every few minutes can also draw power.
    *Put the Google Maps or Sprint Navigation GPS programs in the background with sound off as you drive and they will continue to use the the GPS, Local Services, and the data network - all of which can draw power. As you go through low signal areas, they seem to draw even more power.
    * Turn on the Pre music app, turn the sound volume to zero and put it in the background and it will continue to draw power even though it is not making a sound.
    * Messaging apps keep you logged in even if the app is in the background or even if you close the app! -See the Tutorial.
    * One third party app was constantly refreshing even when in the background. That one is fixed now but you know that there will be others and this is not covered in the SDK.

I am an electrical engineer with a test and measurement background. I said this because I did test multiple scenarios on more than one Pre that did increase the power drain.

There are dozens of others that I do still want to test but at least this sampling proved to me that background apps can draw power.

Can you tell us more about your test results for these situations that showed that "Background apps do NOT waste more battery than with them being closed."

- Craig
    I didn't notice much drain with the standalone ACCUWEATHER app, but ever since I installed WHERE and have been using the weather app on it, my battery seems to be draining MUCH faster.

My imagination, or has anyone else noticed this???
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I think the Where app updates much more frequently than AccuWeather one. I don't notice the AccuWeather app updating at all actually...
    ►To turn everything off, press and hold the Power button then tap Turn Off to turn off the phone, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.,
    Unless I'm misinformed this means you can't receive call etc, notifications for calendar things etc. So this doesn't help for those who need this sort of stuff throughout the day. And at night it's on the charger.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

It's Like Voting In Chicago: Charge Early Charge Often
    ►Charge your phone often. The battery has a much longer useful life when it is topped off frequently.

- Craig
    Not sure if this is what you meant but here is some clarification. Lithium batteries have a number of life cycles worth of charges. Whether that is 3x 33% charges to top off or 10x 10% charges to top off is still only 1 charge cycle. So charging often ie: every 10% makes no difference to battery life.

Also note that a single large discharge and charge *can* strain the battery (heat) so its not recommended to wait till its completely dead before charging
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Unless I'm misinformed this means you can't receive call etc, notifications for calendar things etc. So this doesn't help for those who need this sort of stuff throughout the day. And at night it's on the charger.
    That can be used to help prolong battery life for some people. Remember not everyone using the Pre is busy business person. Though I do agree Airplane mode in that situation is far superior, while hiking I use airplane mode as signal strength is in and out none stop, but I am concerned about the time it takes for the Pre to start up in case of an emergency.

@milominderbinde - Good show sir!
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Maybe I'm lucky. But i have had NO issues with battery life. My battery will last me nearly two days under my normal use (talking, texting, checking, the weather, playing with some apps, and surfing the internet throughout the day).

One night, with a full battery, I got impressed with the Pre's streaming capabilities and went crazy playing with the youTube app. Over 6 hours of youTube videos later, I still had over 60% battery life remaining.

When I first got the phone, I was concerned with the potentially crappy battery life (the sales rep even warned me about it), so I went old school with the initial charging and conditioning of the battery. As in, I started the phone up from out of the box, let it die entirely, charged it to 100%, let it die entirely again, then I possibly did that for at least one more round.

On top of that, I did run my battery down entirely frequently before I got my TouchStone.

Those of you that are having issues with Battery life, how did you charge your phone when you first got it?
    I personally never heard of the whole let the battery run until dead several times to get longer lasting charges. I was always told never to do that cause it could ruin my battery. Obviously I was misinformed. But anyways I started out just charging the battery as soon as it got low, about 20% left, did this for about a week maybe two weeks from the day of purchase. I was rather annoyed with how short the charge lasted. Mind you this was prior to most of the tweaks that didn't effect how I used it (changing emails to as items arrive, removing google talk [default added and I don't use it], turning GPS and location services off when not in use, using wifi when available to name the most impacting changes).

These things did improve my battery life but I still wasn't seeing each charge lasting as long as it was expected to last. Since there were no other savings tips left to perform with the software end of things I thought what the heck maybe there is something to the whole drain the battery several times. So I did it several times not sequentially since there was a couple times I wanted to make sure I had enough juice so I topped it off. But now that it has been drained a few times I have observed an increase in charge duration with my normal daily use.

Originally when I got the phone before applying savings tips I'd get at most 16 hours with almost no use at all. After applying the power saving tips I'd get at most 20 hours with almost no use at all. Now that I have drained the battery several times I'm looking at 28 hours at 25% (projected 36 maybe 37 hours) with almost not use at all. What this means to me is that I can go a whole day with moderate to heavy use on one charge now where before moderate to heavy use would require putting it on the charger half way through the day.

I guess the morale of the story is perhaps it would be a good idea that savings tips and conditioning the battery with draining it dead should be in your face sort of made known. I think it will reduce the number of complaints about charge durations. Obviously there will be the typical batch of bad batteries know to happen. I have had that in the past with dumbphones. But anyways I thought I'd share my updated experiences.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I personally never heard of the whole let the battery run until dead several times to get longer lasting charges. I was always told never to do that cause it could ruin my battery.
    It's true for some types of rechargeable battery. E.g. NiMH and NiCd. But not the battery in the Pre.

Edit: double-checking myself. It may not even be an issue in NiMH batteries. But definitely not an issue in Lithium-Ion batteries, like the ones used in the Pre. You do want to run the battery most of the way down, once, not because it will improve the life, but because it will allow the Pre to calibrate it's measurement of voltage levels, and give you a more accurate estimate of remaining battery life.

You don't want to run the battery all the way down to 0.
    Last edited by jdale; 07/12/2009 at 10:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    It's true for some types of rechargeable battery. E.g. NiMH and NiCd. But not the battery in the Pre.

Edit: double-checking myself. It may not even be an issue in NiMH batteries. But definitely not an issue in Lithium-Ion batteries, like the ones used in the Pre. You do want to run the battery most of the way down, once, not because it will improve the life, but because it will allow the Pre to calibrate it's measurement of voltage levels, and give you a more accurate estimate of remaining battery life.

You don't want to run the battery all the way down to 0.
    So in essence I'm not gaining more charge in the battery only the phone getting better at properly detecting when getting close to dead so it doesn't power off from low battery prematurely?
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    So in essence I'm not gaining more charge in the battery only the phone getting better at properly detecting when getting close to dead so it doesn't power off from low battery prematurely?
    Yes. And it's not something you need to do often. Maybe once every few months at most.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Thanks for this tip. I have the extended battery (1350mAh) and quite frankly it does not seem to noticeably affect the battery life of this device any more than the standard battery (1150mAh). Even with all of the settings you described with normal business conversations and conference calls, I can still expect no more than 12 hours or so at best of battery life.

I am not complaining, as I have travel chargers, car chargers and the touchstone charger for home, but I wanted to see if anyone else had better luck with the extended battery.
    Last edited by mokei; 07/14/2009 at 03:06 AM.
    With Li-Ion batteries I've heard it can actually be dangerous to let the battery drain completely. The primary reason the Pre shuts down at a low percent is actually because those batteries when completely drained will no longer charge. Or is this false information I've heard? Battery information is mostly incorrect and hard to sort through. :P
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by mokei View Post
    Thanks for this tip. I have the extended battery (1350mAh) and quite frankly it does not seem to noticeably affect the battery life of this device any more than the standard battery (1150mAh). Even with all of the settings you described with normal business conversations and conference calls, I can still expect no more than 12 hours or so at best of battery life.

I am not complaining, as I have travel chargers, car chargers and the touchstone charger for home, but I wanted to see if anyone else had better luck with the extended battery.
    How much talk time is normal? Supposedly the battery gets 5 hours talk time. I was trying to dig and find the info and I could only find the info from just before launch from a leaked document indicating the 5 hours. But my BB8330 also had 1150mAh and it was rated for 4 hours talk time so I'm inclined to think 4 hours is more accurate. Unless someone can indeed confirm it gets 5 hours.

Assuming an average of 5% drain per hour when not in use in 12 hours you would use 60%. If 2% per hour when not in use 24%. so if you say talk on the phone for an hour that would be 25% of the battery. What else do you do with the phone during those 12 hours?
Page 1 of 26 12345611 ... LastLast