Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011 16 ... LastLast
    i can confirm that cpu scaling is possible and does save a ton of battery life. Palm has it disabled as default. I am sure they are just not done perfecting their scaling scheme. In the mean time i wrote two of my own. I am currently useing the first one and it great. The second one is for beta testers only.

number1pete's cpu scaling
    I may look into performing one of the mods pertaining to cpu. number1pete is that the same stuff from the webos-internals wiki?
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Same place as before it is located at the bottom of the screen and lock preferences.
    No. I have this set to off and the screen still comes on when messages come in. Didn't there used to be a setting to "show notification" is individual email account settings? I'm sure there was.
    some of the code is. I use a few other features like a slower sampling rate and lower speed up threshold.
    Quote Originally Posted by nilemann View Post
    No. I have this set to off and the screen still comes on when messages come in. Didn't there used to be a setting to "show notification" is individual email account settings? I'm sure there was.
    There may have, perhaps it is a wording change? I have a show icon and play sound options perhaps the show icon is the show notification?

Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    some of the code is. I use a few other features like a slower sampling rate and lower speed up threshold.
    I'll have to compare the two then when I decide to try it out or not.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I personally never heard of the whole let the battery run until dead several times to get longer lasting charges. I was always told never to do that cause it could ruin my battery. Obviously I was misinformed.

That was said of Nickel-Cadmium (Ni-Cad) batteries back in the day. Now a days the Nickel Metal Hydride and Lithiums don't require that.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Anyone have any idea how long the battery lasts using the GPS feature? Im curious if I should pick up a charger for my Pre or not (Not that I use the feature often, just going somewhere on Friday)
    I personally haven't used it for a long period of time for GPS yet but active use of GPS is probably going to drain the battery as fast as talk time does I would think. This won't be an ideal example but on my blackberry I would GPS nav for as long as an hour and it drained 30% of the battery. It has the same size battery. I have read posts a number of times with people giving example of their GPS use. If you are interested perhaps a quick forum search will get you a few experiences with GPS and battery.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I live in an area with horrible reception, and I'm lucky to get a half of day out of a full charge. Thanks for the tip on air plane mode, hopefully that will help extend my battery a little longer while I wait for my extended battery to come.
    original post mentions turning off notifications in the email. But another option for some could be to turn off notifications when locked. This is in the Screen & Lock tab. This way only the sound goes off when any notifications come in. No energy used to turn on screen.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    original post mentions turning off notifications in the email. But another option for some could be to turn off notifications when locked. This is in the Screen & Lock tab. This way only the sound goes off when any notifications come in. No energy used to turn on screen.
    This is how it is supposed to work and how it did work before 1.1 but when I updated to 1.1 I'd not get the visual notification but it still activated the screen when the sound played for the notifications. I don't know if anyone else has been experiencing this as well to confirm it as a bug or a just me thing.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    this stuff is all so helpful, I have noticed that the longer I have had it, the longer the battery seems to be charged.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preman View Post
    Background apps do NOT waste more battery than with them being closed.
    At least test before you post. I will soon be posting a thread about all these things that people clain wastes battery when in fact they don't.
    I will bite.

A running application uses the processor. The procesor uses battery for power. More apps open more the processor is working.

So I would like to know why you feel processor use does not equal battery consumption.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slvdc2 View Post
    Not sure if this is what you meant but here is some clarification. Lithium batteries have a number of life cycles worth of charges. Whether that is 3x 33% charges to top off or 10x 10% charges to top off is still only 1 charge cycle. So charging often ie: every 10% makes no difference to battery life.

Also note that a single large discharge and charge *can* strain the battery (heat) so its not recommended to wait till its completely dead before charging
    Airplane mode stops the radios (ie. WiFi, data/phone , Bluetooth). It does not stop your calendar from working, OR the apps on your phone...UNLESS those apps are requiring internet connection. It may not SYNC your calendar, but it will still show whatever you had on the phone before Airplane Mode was switched on.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    once there are a variety of games out on the pre...will we be able to play? or will the battery just drain
    even with the cpu script running I don't get much battery life.
    Palm Pilot m100 --> Alltel Razr V3c --> Alltel HTC PPC6800(Mogul) --> Alltel HTC Touch Pro --> Alltel Rokr Z6M --> Alltel Palm Pre

Speed at 70Mph using MyTether using Alltel Hybrid Rev A
    http://i30.tinypic.com/2iu733d.jpg
    so I shouldnt run MyTether, Prepackage, FindMYCar, Sprint Navigation, PreTrack and google maps all at the same time?
    I can attest to the fact that draining the battery to 1% and then charging it to 100% yesterday, helped me prolong my battery life to around 25 hours at normal usage (a couple of short phone calls, normal email from exchange server, yahoo etc.). Before this draining and recharging exercise, the phone would last me to max 10-12 hours. So the battery does indeed get conditioned. Palm should mention this in their manual.

Now I'm happy to have a normal phone like battery life from my Palm Pre !

Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I personally never heard of the whole let the battery run until dead several times to get longer lasting charges. I was always told never to do that cause it could ruin my battery. Obviously I was misinformed. But anyways I started out just charging the battery as soon as it got low, about 20% left, did this for about a week maybe two weeks from the day of purchase. I was rather annoyed with how short the charge lasted. Mind you this was prior to most of the tweaks that didn't effect how I used it (changing emails to as items arrive, removing google talk [default added and I don't use it], turning GPS and location services off when not in use, using wifi when available to name the most impacting changes).

These things did improve my battery life but I still wasn't seeing each charge lasting as long as it was expected to last. Since there were no other savings tips left to perform with the software end of things I thought what the heck maybe there is something to the whole drain the battery several times. So I did it several times not sequentially since there was a couple times I wanted to make sure I had enough juice so I topped it off. But now that it has been drained a few times I have observed an increase in charge duration with my normal daily use.

Originally when I got the phone before applying savings tips I'd get at most 16 hours with almost no use at all. After applying the power saving tips I'd get at most 20 hours with almost no use at all. Now that I have drained the battery several times I'm looking at 28 hours at 25% (projected 36 maybe 37 hours) with almost not use at all. What this means to me is that I can go a whole day with moderate to heavy use on one charge now where before moderate to heavy use would require putting it on the charger half way through the day.

I guess the morale of the story is perhaps it would be a good idea that savings tips and conditioning the battery with draining it dead should be in your face sort of made known. I think it will reduce the number of complaints about charge durations. Obviously there will be the typical batch of bad batteries know to happen. I have had that in the past with dumbphones. But anyways I thought I'd share my updated experiences.
    Quote Originally Posted by mokei View Post
    Thanks for this tip. I have the extended battery (1350mAh) and quite frankly it does not seem to noticeably affect the battery life of this device any more than the standard battery (1150mAh). Even with all of the settings you described with normal business conversations and conference calls, I can still expect no more than 12 hours or so at best of battery life.

I am not complaining, as I have travel chargers, car chargers and the touchstone charger for home, but I wanted to see if anyone else had better luck with the extended battery.
    I too have the 1350mAh extended battery and have noticed little difference in battery life. I have followed many of the tips on saving battery power but don't think they have made a significant difference. I am lucky if I can get 6 hours on the extended battery with light e-mail and texting, phone calls, using several of the news apps.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    (posting mobile so don't know if this is working correctly)
    I've had poor battery life since getting the pre, but last night I fell asleep before charging the pre (I charged during the day) I woke uo and the pre was totally dead. So I fully charged and have had remarkable battery life today! 50% @ 8 hrs. And heavy use today. I usually need to charge in a few hrs. If this is the best I get I can live w/ it for awhile.