Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clindner View Post
    So, what software changes could Palm make that are not already implemented, and how much additional battery life would that provide?

Also, is there a way that Palm and WebOS can defend against poorly written 3rd party applications? What if those applications are the battery hogs, not the lower level functions of the OS itself?
    Palm polls your accounts every 15 minutes. This wakes up the phone every 15 minutes from a low-powered state to use the EVDO or 1x connection, which is the phone's biggest battery drainer. Now, how often do you need those accounts synced? Are you checking your phone every 15 minutes? Would you want a setting to change that? Because I dont need my contacts synced every 15 minutes. Hell, once or twice a day would be fine if it meant an extra 30% of battery every day.

I also experiment with CPU scaling, which also helps out my battery, and gives me an extra 20% each day. When my screen is on, my CPU is at 550mhz. When it's off, it's at 125mhz. The Pre's chip supports this feature, but Palm disabled it for some reason. However, when you enable it (this is software feature), it saves a ton of battery.

Also, it appears Palm's connection algorithms are sorely out of whack. My signal jumps all over the place, forcing my phone to ramp up the seaching power, using more battery. I believe this is cutting down another 30% of battery.

So, if palm fixes the polling rates or makes it user-settable, I could save an extra 30%. If Palm enables CPU scaling, that's another 20%. And if Palm fixes their connection algorithms, that's another 30%.

30+20+30 = 80% MORE battery life due to SOFTWARE enhancements. In other words, I would double my battery life if Palm chooses to implement these small changes.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn McKenzie View Post
    Yes, I believe that the mythical battery technology is being worked on. So is faster than light travel. Doesn't mean it'll happen.

There hasn't been a jump in battery performance like the kind I described in... well... ever.

Edit: also, it has little or nothing to do with your statement that software updates can't improve battery performance. They can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    A bit of an extreme example, no? I'm pretty sure much better battery technology will be around sooner than traveling faster than light
    Not to get all nerdy (who am I kidding this is an online forum) but as soon as they get this working, traveling close to and faster than the speed of light potentially could be possible. Sorry Einstein, your equation will no longer be valid. Anyway, not too far of a stretch.

Oh and another thing, there is a technology out there that they are developing that basically is a capacitive wire that loses no charge over long distances. They have taken this technology and started applying it to batteries. You could then virtually keep a battery forever and never have its charge drain. I know this doesn't equate to more battery power but in my mind this is one of those "mythical" technologies. Also, I don't have a link to where I read this because I read it in a printed article and could not obtain it online. (I know what you are thinking. How did I zoom? Good question. I couldn't figure it out the entire time I read the article.)
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by genEric122 View Post
    My battery life is fine... I can't go for more than a day like my 755 could, but I have a more usefull phone, so I use it more
    More than a day.. thats good! I can only go 8 or 9 hours without doing nothing! ..and it seems to get worst daily since I bought the phone on day one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    I also experiment with CPU scaling, which also helps out my battery, and gives me an extra 20% each day. When my screen is on, my CPU is at 550mhz. When it's off, it's at 125mhz. The Pre's chip supports this feature, but Palm disabled it for some reason. However, when you enable it (this is software feature), it saves a ton of battery.
    It sounds like you probably will know what Palm limits us to. Is it 400 mhz? What is the max of the processor? I know I have read it somewhere but I always have a hard time finding the hardware specifications. I figured you would probably know the answer.
    500mhz is stock. The CPU is rated between 125-600.
    Developer of:

Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    Palm polls your accounts every 15 minutes. This wakes up the phone every 15 minutes from a low-powered state to use the EVDO or 1x connection, which is the phone's biggest battery drainer. Now, how often do you need those accounts synced? Are you checking your phone every 15 minutes? Would you want a setting to change that? Because I dont need my contacts synced every 15 minutes. Hell, once or twice a day would be fine if it meant an extra 30% of battery every day.
    I have used the Sprint Mail app on my Treo which I think was syncing about that often, and it didn't hamper the battery life too much. If it could do it in the low power state you mention below, it wouldn't be a big deal, right?

Is 125mhz fast enough to handle streaming audio along with the other background activity going on?

Also, it appears Palm's connection algorithms are sorely out of whack. My signal jumps all over the place, forcing my phone to ramp up the seaching power, using more battery. I believe this is cutting down another 30% of battery.
    Yeah, I see this just about everywhere I go. I have wondered if the problem was real, or just a glitch in their software. Meaning, does this really cause the antenna power to fluctuate, or is it just a display issue?

So, if palm fixes the polling rates or makes it user-settable, I could save an extra 30%. If Palm enables CPU scaling, that's another 20%. And if Palm fixes their connection algorithms, that's another 30%.

30+20+30 = 80% MORE battery life due to SOFTWARE enhancements. In other words, I would double my battery life if Palm chooses to implement these small changes.
    Are you by chance double counting your savings from the polling rates and the scaling? If the processor speed is cut down, it won't eat as much battery to poll, right?

I hope you are right on these issues, but it just seems to me that these sort of issues would have already been worked out if there wasn't a reason they couldn't do them. Especially with the scaling. Surely they wouldn't have crippled such a valuable feature unless it caused them problems in other areas?
    I have used the Sprint Mail app on my Treo which I think was syncing about that often, and it didn't hamper the battery life too much. If it could do it in the low power state you mention below, it wouldn't be a big deal, right?
    Yeah, syncing is necessarily the problem. It is syncing inefficiently, which Palm seems to be doing. A decayed sync would be awesome. For example, at 9am or so, the syncing would be 15 minutes. If nothing changes during the next sync, the sync would go to 20 minutes. Then 30, then 45, then 60, etc. Once there was a change, it would go back to 15 min all over again.

Is 125mhz fast enough to handle streaming audio along with the other background activity going on?
    Yep, havent any issues with 125mhz. Streaming data is very easy on the CPU, but more taxing on the cell radio, which is unaffected.

Yeah, I see this just about everywhere I go. I have wondered if the problem was real, or just a glitch in their software. Meaning, does this really cause the antenna power to fluctuate, or is it just a display issue?
    Well, my call quality seems in line with my signal strength, so I am inclined to believe the bars.

Are you by chance double counting your savings from the polling rates and the scaling? If the processor speed is cut down, it won't eat as much battery to poll, right?
    Polling uses very little CPU, but a lot of cell radio. So even with the CPU cut down, polling (or using any type of cell data) is the number one battery drainer along with poor reception.

I hope you are right on these issues, but it just seems to me that these sort of issues would have already been worked out if there wasn't a reason they couldn't do them. Especially with the scaling. Surely they wouldn't have crippled such a valuable feature unless it caused them problems in other areas?
    You can say that about any of the missing features. Copy and Paste should have definitely been worked out before the Pre launched, as with better performance, native SDK's, better reception, non-restarting pres when slider is closed, txt forwarding, etc.

They probably developed a lot of the software on emulators, and weren't using the final device for a very long period before release. Battery issues are simply a result of un-optimized code that, over time, Palm NEEDS to improve.
    Developer of:

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Not sure if this is been mentioned but I was experiencing high battery drain so I tried 3things and have seen a CONSIDERABLE difference, green for a good 2 hours in the morning and I'm at 43% at 7:30pm. Had several phone calls, read this forum for a little bit, accuweather, texting.

1. I keep my wifi "on" all the time now
    2. I transferred about 78mb of pictures off the pre onto my computer
    3. I changed my gmail to "as it arrives". I don't get a lot of emails on that account.

Oh, and I don't know if it applies, but I had 2 root certs on my pre because I kept trying to get EAS to work (finally gave up on that) and I deleted them same time I did the above changes. Hope this helps somebody.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Can anybody confirm that tip given in this video to save battery life by NOT closing apps all the time?

youtube.com/watch?v=03ehLEypkDQ

I know all the usual tips here say the opposite. Just want to make sure, cause it could be that the processor is really draining battery by always completely reloading often used apps.
    I've been skeptical of this as well, also regarding laptops and such. Anyone know about this?
    Good info!
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    By the way, I have an extra usb wall charger and adapter thingie for the Pre in case any of you are in NYC...

I might give Sprint's Android offering a shot this fall:

Looks interesting.
    BAH! i wish this would have happened earlier, i lost patience with the whole sprint/android thing, and just gave in and got a pre. GRR, lame
    Thanks for the heads up on the "extended" battery. Won't be spending money on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by brandoncjr View Post
    I've been skeptical of this as well, also regarding laptops and such. Anyone know about this?
    It depends what the app is doing, just like with a laptop. If the app is actively connected to a network, it will drain your battery. Keeping say the picture viewer and the camera(which is inactive while minimized) doesn't seem to give me any more negative effect. It most certainly will NOT improve battery life somehow.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    Be aware not all chargers are the same. Be sure you are using one rated with a 1000ma output. The chargers with a lower output will not be able to provide enough power to match the device's consumption. I had this happen to me repeatedly with a Treo800w. A lesson to learn.
    Also, fwiw, keep that baby as cooool as possible. The battery performs way better when it's kept cool.
    It is the official Palm one for the Pre! (Model # 3453WW)

http ://store.palm.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3457917&cp=3238806&fbc=1&f=PAD%252FDevices%2BSupported%252FPalm%2BPre&shCMS=1&fb n=Devices+Supported%7CPalm+Pre&parentPage=family&catsId=323880]Palm Vehicle Power Charger - Palm Accessories
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    Be aware not all chargers are the same. Be sure you are using one rated with a 1000ma output. The chargers with a lower output will not be able to provide enough power to match the device's consumption. I had this happen to me repeatedly with a Treo800w. A lesson to learn.
    Also, fwiw, keep that baby as cooool as possible. The battery performs way better when it's kept cool.
    Yup and it's Sad when Sprint sells you one Marked with Palm right on the package and tells you it's for the Pre (have to check but think it was on there).

I get it home to power my 2nd touchStone as i was going away and didn't want to have to switch between Room and Car . And what do you know it's only 800+ma imagine that. So When my Palm one comes in I will be taking this overpriced one back.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    thanks
    I generally use the I-go chargers but the radio shack here does not stock the A135 adapters so I went to the Sprint franchise store to get a car charger and sure enough its marked Palm Macro but its only rated at .85a so hopefully the adapters arrive soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by slvdc2 View Post
    Not sure if this is what you meant but here is some clarification. Lithium batteries have a number of life cycles worth of charges. Whether that is 3x 33% charges to top off or 10x 10% charges to top off is still only 1 charge cycle. So charging often ie: every 10% makes no difference to battery life.

Also note that a single large discharge and charge *can* strain the battery (heat) so its not recommended to wait till its completely dead before charging
    thx for this clarification. does anyone know if there is a risk of overcharging as a result of leaving the device plugged in for too long. i wish there was an external led indicator on the phone that indicates charge status so that there would not be any risk of overcharging, heat, etc and to minimize wasted electricity. thx!
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    ---►Reduce notifications: Show Notification Off to not turn on display and Vibrate Off. Play Sound takes the least power.
    Has this option been removed in 1.1.0? I did search this and all i found was this same type of thing ... "turn off display notifications." I no longer have this option.
    Quote Originally Posted by nilemann View Post
    Has this option been removed in 1.1.0? I did search this and all i found was this same type of thing ... "turn off display notifications." I no longer have this option.
    Same place as before it is located at the bottom of the screen and lock preferences.
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast