Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrad2 View Post
    And you think the Pre has bad battery life? Wait till you see the rock solid performance that this baby will get you.
    Are there no Android devices with decent battery life?
    (a serious question...)

If not then I may be with the boring blackberry for the forseeable future...
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn McKenzie View Post
    You act as if the phone dies minutes after being turned on.
    I used my Pre this morning for about 1 hour and lost 35% battery. That would add up to a total of three hours of use before brick. honestly I like the OS and such, but I just need my phone to work for a longer time.
    I've kind of stopped following Android lately but at the moment isn't the G1 still the only Android phone available in the US?
    Quote Originally Posted by clindner View Post
    Watch out. Apparently, this is a very sensitive topic for some folks around here. They'll tell you that updates are imminent that will significantly increase battery life!
    Hey look, a software expert.
    You act as if the phone dies minutes after being turned on. It's not too advanced for the battery. In fact, it's a testament to low-power technology development that allows us to continue to use LI-ION batteries in such devices. We're not stuck with some age old Palm III here.

I am not acting as if the phone dies after minutes, I am responding to the on-going discussion of the battery issues and the hope that a software upgrade will have a hugh impact on it.

You proved in your post my very point. You said "it's a testament to low-power technology development that allows us to continue to use LI-ION batteries in such devices". Yes, low power technology needs to be in place, but if better battery technology exsisted do you think they would spend nearly as much time and money on that development?
    There is no spoon
    Hi Ron, the Hero seems to be coming this fall?? And who knows, maybe others. I have read that there's supposed to be a huge number of Android devices out this fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    I am not acting as if the phone dies after minutes, I am responding to the on-going discussion of the battery issues and the hope that a software upgrade will have a hugh impact on it.

You proved in your post my very point. You said "it's a testament to low-power technology development that allows us to continue to use LI-ION batteries in such devices". Yes, low power technology needs to be in place, but if better battery technology exsisted do you think they would spend nearly as much time and money on that development?
    Unless this mythical battery technology has more than 10x the lasting time, as well as much higher amperage, yes, I think they will continue to do so.

Also, a software update can very significantly change the power usage of the device. After all, say there's a runaway process that pegs the CPU at 100%. The device will last a LOT less time because of that. Less CPU usage = higher battery life.
    Until technology allows us to advance from Lithium-ion battery technology we are all going to have to make the best of what we have. The phone is way more advanced than current available battery technology. Period.
    I agree the phone is definitely more power hungry than current battery technology can hope to help, but you also have to agree with the right software tweaks you can get the phone to be less power hungry during standby, and less intensive applications which is what you use most of the time, thus increasing your standby time by 1.5 to 2 times isn't out of the question. Of course that all depends on how buggy the power management was in the first place.
    Unless this mythical battery technology has more than 10x the lasting time, as well as much higher amperage, yes, I think they will continue to do so.

Also, a software update can very significantly change the power usage of the device. After all, say there's a runaway process that pegs the CPU at 100%. The device will last a LOT less time because of that. Less CPU usage = higher battery life.

And you don't think that "mythical" battery technology is being worked on as we speak?

How many things in this world exsist today that would of been considered "mythical" only 10 years ago?
    There is no spoon

Actually, there are technologies to make lithium ion batteries have much higher capacities. The problem is that these technologies are currently too expensive for use in consumer devices. At any rate, not all Li-ion batteries are the same. As an example, take the Seidio 1300 battery which is li-ion and fits into the same volume as the Palm battery.

I'm not a battery physicist so I can't really answer questions about this, but I do work closely with custom made rechargable batteries which are manufactured for the government. I'm not sure how much more capacity a battery can go (over the Seidio) before the cost gets prohibitive for a consumer product. I do know, however, that the cost starts to rise quite quickly in an exponential manner.
    And you don't think that "mythical" battery technology is being worked on as we speak?

How many things in this world exsist today that would of been considered "mythical" only 10 years ago?
    Yes, I believe that the mythical battery technology is being worked on. So is faster than light travel. Doesn't mean it'll happen.

There hasn't been a jump in battery performance like the kind I described in... well... ever.

Edit: also, it has little or nothing to do with your statement that software updates can't improve battery performance. They can.
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    I agree the phone is definitely more power hungry than current battery technology can hope to help, but you also have to agree with the right software tweaks you can get the phone to be less power hungry during standby, and less intensive applications which is what you use most of the time, thus increasing your standby time by 1.5 to 2 times isn't out of the question. Of course that all depends on how buggy the power management was in the first place.

I definitely agree that software advancements can help. Will it be enough to shut everybody up here? Hopefully we will have the opportunity to find out
    There is no spoon
    Yes, I believe that the mythical battery technology is being worked on. So is faster than light travel. Doesn't mean it'll happen.
    A bit of an extreme example, no? I'm pretty sure much better battery technology will be around sooner than traveling faster than light
    There is no spoon
    A bit of an extreme example, no? I'm pretty sure much better battery technology will be around sooner than traveling faster than light
    Not really. You are assuming far too much. Most "amazing" battery technologies borderline the perpetual motion concept, which is of course only possible in peoples' dreams.

I have no doubt we'll see new batteries, super capacitors look very useful. But really, we're not going to see anywhere near the jump required to render low-power hardware development irrelevant.

And because you missed my edit before:

How does this have to do with software updates not improving battery life? They can, and do.
    Not really. You are assuming far too much. Most "amazing" battery technologies borderline the perpetual motion concept, which is of course only possible in peoples' dreams.

I have no doubt we'll see new batteries, super capacitors look very useful. But really, we're not going to see anywhere near the jump required to render low-power hardware development irrelevant.

And because you missed my edit before:

How does this have to do with software updates not improving battery life? They can, and do.
    I hear ya man. Although if you read all of my posts I never said software updates won't help battery life. My statement is based on peoples expectations of how much a software update will improve battery life.
    There is no spoon
    I am a software engineer/developer and have worked with a ton of different platforms. Let me tell you, software single-handedly determines battery life. There is no debate here.

Palm COULD release an update which utilizes the hardware differently, and that is what we are asking for them to do. For example, for awhile (and this may still be the case), Hotmail accounts were causing issues with the email app that that drained battery like crazy, simply because the phone was not dropping into a low-powered state. Things like this prevent good battery life, and we're asking Palm to take a look at their services they run and treat them a bit differently.

Anyone who thinks that, because this is a smartphone it should have horrible battery life, is sorely mistaken.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    I am a software engineer/developer and have worked with a ton of different platforms. Let me tell you, software single-handedly determines battery life. There is no debate here.

Palm COULD release an update which utilizes the hardware differently, and that is what we are asking for them to do. For example, for awhile (and this may still be the case), Hotmail accounts were causing issues with the email app that that drained battery like crazy, simply because the phone was not dropping into a low-powered state. Things like this prevent good battery life, and we're asking Palm to take a look at their services they run and treat them a bit differently.

Anyone who thinks that, because this is a smartphone it should have horrible battery life, is sorely mistaken.
    I guess that ends that discussion
    There is no spoon
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Until technology allows us to advance from Lithium-ion battery technology we are all going to have to make the best of what we have. The phone is way more advanced than current available battery technology. Period.
    The Pre isn't the only one with this issue. My brother bought a iPhone 3GS. Although Apple says that the 3GS has much better battery "efficiency" that does not translate into real usable hours. One of the first things he bought for the phone is a battery sled that about doubles the battery life for the 3GS. Apple fan Rush Limbaugh did the same thing. At least with the Pre you can switch batteries or -- sometime next week -- purchase a single battery solution from Seidio that integrates with the device.

So, if you want battery battery life, get a less powerful phone. That's life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post

So, what software changes could Palm make that are not already implemented, and how much additional battery life would that provide?

Also, is there a way that Palm and WebOS can defend against poorly written 3rd party applications? What if those applications are the battery hogs, not the lower level functions of the OS itself?
    My battery life is fine... I can't go for more than a day like my 755 could, but I have a more usefull phone, so I use it more
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast