Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1520212223242526 LastLast
    my battery % is not showing anymore i tried to the delete it it wont delete tried to installed it says error see ipkg log how i can i fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hector724 View Post
    my battery % is not showing anymore i tried to the delete it it wont delete tried to installed it says error see ipkg log how i can i fix it.
    Restart Luna if you have the Luna Manager or another tweak, secondly I would restart the Java if that doesn't work and third I would reboot device and try again.

The package I use for battery percentage is Battery Icon as Percent and never had a problem with it. Hope this helps as it's basic steps for now.
    Palm Pre Plus+ High-end User / UberKernel 1.4.5-119 (1Ghz Processor) overclocked
    Quote Originally Posted by rafalc View Post
    Yea, thats what Im getting too and with voltages set to much lower than yours so I dont think lowering the voltage will do very much as far as battery saving. What I did notice is that I am getting a discharge of -5 when screen is off (this is at 720/250 screenstate) ... which is pretty good. I did notice recently that my ringers are delayed or dont come on at all when screen is off...might be due to the low frequency so Ill have to play around with it.

Ive been testing my phone at home and Im to my surprise, Im getting a life of around 20hrs with light use. At work this would still be 8hrs...so either a miracle happened within the last 2 days OR it really is the signal strength.

Ill post more once I do some more testing but Im definitely happy with the 20hr charge time.
    Does your work have a wifi network? if it does, make your Pre connect to it when its in the area automatically.

This will save ooodles of battery life.
    Here's my related question: I'm reposting this from everythingpre.com, which seems to not have any active users:

Is it just me, or is there a serious design flaw in the Pre Plus? Recent air trip was one of a number of experiences like this: if I turn off the power and leave the battery in, when I turn the Pre on a few hours later, the battery is sucked dry. If I just leave it on Airplane Mode, the battery level is fine.

Solution? I guess it's to power down and take out the battery.

Or do other Pre Plus owners not have this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by ckuttner View Post
    Here's my related question: I'm reposting this from everythingpre.com, which seems to not have any active users:

Is it just me, or is there a serious design flaw in the Pre Plus? Recent air trip was one of a number of experiences like this: if I turn off the power and leave the battery in, when I turn the Pre on a few hours later, the battery is sucked dry. If I just leave it on Airplane Mode, the battery level is fine.

Can't say that I have this problem. I am a frequent flyer. I have never experienced this issue.

On the other hand, I have on occasion forgotten to turn off the Pre+ during flight (gasp!), and I would come back to a drained battery. I have always assumed the battery drain was from the unit hunting for a signal at 50,000 ft.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

I have a Pre classic (original). I have had no battery probs on an airplane, either OFF or in Airplane Mode. I did leave it on once, because I did not press the power button long enough. Could that have been your problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKes View Post
    I have a Pre classic (original). I have had no battery probs on an airplane, either OFF or in Airplane Mode. I did leave it on once, because I did not press the power button long enough. Could that have been your problem?
    Good question, JohnKes, but no, I really did get to the Power-down dialogue and shut it off completely. This has happened also when I've powered down over a weekend.
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Does your work have a wifi network? if it does, make your Pre connect to it when its in the area automatically.

This will save ooodles of battery life.
    Is there a patch for this? If not, how do you set the phone to do this automatically?
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey123 View Post
    Is there a patch for this? If not, how do you set the phone to do this automatically?
    No patch, standard function. Connect once to a network and you get this function.

I had this problem too. Went paintballing yesterday and as my phone was going in a locker I decided to turn it off. I put it in at 9.30am with the battery on 68%. Took it out at 1pm and turned it back on.......battery was at 0% and died a few mins later.

Very annoying.
    thanks for great tips

It had never occurred to me to actually turn the Pre off in an airplane. I put it in "airplane"
    mode and turn off the screen. I don't think I ever turn it all the way off unless it crashes so badly that rebooting isn't good enough.

I have never had a problem like you describe, either. I fly fairly frequently, and the Pre doesn't use much power in flight unless I play Angry Birds or something for the whole trip. I have the extended battery, and it lasted a week with light use in "airplane mode" when I was outside of cellphone range (on the ground) and wanted to use it as an alarm clock.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    It had never occurred to me to actually turn the Pre off in an airplane. I put it in "airplane"
    mode and turn off the screen. I don't think I ever turn it all the way off unless it crashes so badly that rebooting isn't good enough.

I have never had a problem like you describe, either. I fly fairly frequently, and the Pre doesn't use much power in flight unless I play Angry Birds or something for the whole trip. I have the extended battery, and it lasted a week with light use in "airplane mode" when I was outside of cellphone range (on the ground) and wanted to use it as an alarm clock.
    My best times were from using some of Jason's patches. I'll kill radio, GPS, WIFI, and leave only the phone on, when I am expecting a call. The only time it gets confused is if you try to manipulate the data modem when the radio is off. It effectively sends the thing into roam only mode and requires you to change some extra settings, lol.
    However, if I am at work (and have a different phone), I turn off everything but Wifi. This way my google account still emails me on my Pre if I get a call to voicemail.

I haven't ever noticed any difference with brightness. This reminds me of all those companies across the country trying to save energy by removing the flourescent tubes from their drink machines. The funny thing is, while it may save a little, most of the power was bring sucked by the ballast (transformer) which they usually left as is, meaning it was on whether the bulb was inserted or not . I know everyone says that even on laptops it makes a difference, but with older fl tubes, the inverter is going whether the screen is on and bright or on and dim, yes? I have it turn OFF quickly and let the ambient sensor handle the brightness. If the pre is LED lit I can't comment, I don't know enough of how those work.
    this is awesome. very nice tips and tricks. i like it so much. thanks for such a nice forum and also such a nice tips.
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    I haven't ever noticed any difference with brightness. This reminds me of all those companies across the country trying to save energy by removing the flourescent tubes from their drink machines. The funny thing is, while it may save a little, most of the power was bring sucked by the ballast (transformer) which they usually left as is, meaning it was on whether the bulb was inserted or not . I know everyone says that even on laptops it makes a difference, but with older fl tubes, the inverter is going whether the screen is on and bright or on and dim, yes? I have it turn OFF quickly and let the ambient sensor handle the brightness. If the pre is LED lit I can't comment, I don't know enough of how those work.
    Grab Dr. Battery or Battery Monitor and look at the actual battery current being used with screen brightness set low and then high. Spend some time (5-10 mins) with the tools and see how your overall battery draw varies based on brightness. You'll need to interact with the phone to keep the screen on - but don't run any programs if you can help it to keep the numbers clean.

If you do this you should find that brightness does make a difference.
    Download Mode Switcher.
    Just ordered a new battery for my pre. Is it necessary to cycle the battery (let it drain then fully charge it) multiple time when i get it to help extend how long it holds a charge?
    Quote Originally Posted by MekkelRichards View Post
    Download Mode Switcher.
    Totally agree with this recommendation, especially when configured like described in this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...you-think.html.

The basic idea is that you use mode switcher to force your EVDO data connection off until you need it. This is not without caveats and it can take a little getting used to when you wait for the data connection to establish. But IMHO it's a pretty good tradeoff.

I take the Pre off the charger around 7am. Before the above thread, I couldn't get to 4pm without the battery completely dieing. Now, I get to 2am and still have about 20% remaining. That's more than doubling my battery life! My son, now gets 2-3 days on a single charge on his pixi, where he used to struggle to get through the day.

Personally, I think the above thread needs to be highlighted in the first post. $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    Seriously....? I don't understand people and this tip. Yes, I understand it saves battery life but seriously......IT'S A WEB CONNECTED PHONE. That's what makes the Pre what it is. I know peoples' needs are different, but if battery is that bad they can't make it through a day then I don't know why they still have a Pre.
    Sure, but what appears to chew up the battery is the phone staying connected to the net even when you're not using it. Specifically, synergy. If you have a *lot* of synergy accounts, the phone is using data basically all the time. And that chews through battery really fast.

What mode switcher and data on demand does is allow you to have better control over synergy's consumption of data. If you want it, you can still have background data collection by setting up mode switcher to turn on data every 2 hours. IMHO, it's a good tradeoff.

Would I prefer a battery that lasted longer without having to do this hack? Of course! But I think that WebOS is a little aggressive in its use of data. And the ability to slow it down a little bit costs little from the experience of using the phone but gains a lot in battery life. As I said above, I think it's a good tradeoff. Personally, I wish that HP would bake this kind of functionality into the OS. All they'd really have to do is make data mode work like wifi sleep mode (which is already baked into the OS).
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 04/05/2011 at 08:45 AM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  19.    #499  
    I will add Mode Switcher All Day battery life! to the opening post. Good idea.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    A lot of great info here. Thanks to everyone.