Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526 LastLast
    Leave your data connection off till you need it
    PalmOS is on a whole different level from webOS as far as what is going on under the hood so to speak. I'm not sure how palmOS worked with the radios so I'm not sure if there is any significant difference between the cell radio consumption. But modern smartphones have more stuff happening in the background. But that is likely on the low end of what contributes to the battery consumption. Just like with an old PC vs a new PC the beefier the hardware the more battery is consumed. This is most likely the main factor in the difference between a treo and a pre assuming both have the same mAh battery capacity. Unfortunately this is why every recent and future smartphones people (will) complain about how cruddy the battery life is. I do like that we have ways to optimize it and/or get extended batteries. And palm seems to be getting better at optimizing things under the hood to improve battery consumption. I'm testing idle consumption rates on 1.4.5 to compare to previous versions and things are looking positive as to improvements. I can't be more specific until I have completed sufficient repeat tests for definitive and accurate results.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    I'm pretty sure the CPU etc has very little to do with it. I can leave my Pre in Airplane mode and the battery lasts days (just like the Treo). It must be the radio that does it and since both the Treo and Pre are using a standard GPRS stack on a 2G radio (assuming 3G is disabled) it must come down to the amount of chatter over that radio.

I'm not saying I expect them to be similar but there must be ways to minimise the chatter or synchronise between apps so that the radio is not permanently on and transmitting.

Still, I'm pretty happy with my Pre and wouldn't change it for anything currently on the market.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I've noticed in the last few weeks that my battery life has dropped dramatically, and I think I figured out why. I noticed today that when my phone is locked, all I have to do is touch the screen for it to come on. The phone doesn't unlock, but the screen comes on. I imagine when it's in my pocket, this is happening all the time, thus draining the battery needlessly.

Palm better come out with some new hardware soon. I'm hanging on by a thread here, and the new Samsung is looking VERY tempting!
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    I'm pretty sure the CPU etc has very little to do with it. I can leave my Pre in Airplane mode and the battery lasts days (just like the Treo). It must be the radio that does it and since both the Treo and Pre are using a standard GPRS stack on a 2G radio (assuming 3G is disabled) it must come down to the amount of chatter over that radio.

I'm not saying I expect them to be similar but there must be ways to minimise the chatter or synchronise between apps so that the radio is not permanently on and transmitting.

Still, I'm pretty happy with my Pre and wouldn't change it for anything currently on the market.
    Airplane mode is whole different ball game too. Everything even the CPU goes into a power save mode or is turned completely off in the case of the radios. The CPU and cell radio consume the most power. The cell radio more than the CPU. But compared to the rest of the hardware the CPU consumes a lot. The faster the CPU the more consumed it is a law of physics so when comparing a new device and an old device the CPU speed is a factor in why the newer device consumes more power. If you have several synergy accounts and email accounts and apps that run in the background all that will add up compared to the treo since many of those things aren't happening on the treo. Perhaps with the treo all hardware is put into power save modes that aren't always active as long on a webOS device. I have been analyzing battery consumption with webOS for over a year now. If all background activity is removed it will last a very long time between charges if left completely idle. Potentially 2 to 3 days or longer. It is all a mater of what one does with their device.

Quote Originally Posted by gdgates View Post
    I've noticed in the last few weeks that my battery life has dropped dramatically, and I think I figured out why. I noticed today that when my phone is locked, all I have to do is touch the screen for it to come on. The phone doesn't unlock, but the screen comes on. I imagine when it's in my pocket, this is happening all the time, thus draining the battery needlessly.

Palm better come out with some new hardware soon. I'm hanging on by a thread here, and the new Samsung is looking VERY tempting!
    I'm not sure how it is possible that if the screen is off touching the screen turns the screen back on. Sounds like something is causing the device to do something it isn't supposed to be able to do. Have you install an app that alters the behavior of the device in this regard?
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Airplane mode is whole different ball game too. Everything even the CPU goes into a power save mode or is turned completely off in the case of the radios. The CPU and cell radio consume the most power. The cell radio more than the CPU. But compared to the rest of the hardware the CPU consumes a lot. The faster the CPU the more consumed it is a law of physics so when comparing a new device and an old device the CPU speed is a factor in why the newer device consumes more power.
    I appreciate you are trying to be helpful but you are speaking to a computer engineer with nearly 30 years experience in the industry and you are spreading misinformation.

Airplane mode certainly disables all the radios (that is its purpose) but it does not wind down the CPU (other that what normally happens when you turn the screen off with no background processes running). I can confortably run all my most CPU hungry apps in this mode which would not be the case if what you said was true. Unless you are running some alternative kernel the CPU keeps ticking at 500Mhz even with the screen off. Certainly this impacts battery life (vs my old Treo) but Airplane mode will not affect it so that just leaves the radio traffic.

If you have several synergy accounts and email accounts and apps that run in the background all that will add up compared to the treo since many of those things aren't happening on the treo.
    And this is exactly what I meant when I talked about radio chatter. It is apps (mostly the built in synergy etc) that cause this chatter and Palm are in a position to be able to optimise these somewhat. I don't expect miracles but I feel there is definate room for improvement.
    Yes I understand that the CPU speed is not changed however there is a power saving mode. According to the specifications of the CPU it consumes 21 mA per hour and 0.08mA per hour in power save mode. Yet on my sprint pre with 1.4.5 and synergy for several accounts and all radios on is only 13 mA per hour and in airplane mode 8mA per hour. On my pre with 1.4.1.1, 1.4.0, and I think 1.3.5.(x?) it was 23mA per hour and 18mA per hour respectively. Versions prior to those it was 30mA per hour and more. By monitoring mA it is observed that nearly all of the time it is as low as 1 but not more than 8 mA (less in airplane mode) with a few small spikes which result in the mA per hour observed in testing devices.

And those aren't the best case results either. It is possible to have 11mA per hour (not in airplane mode) per recorded results from other users prior to 1.4.5. Not everyone is going to have results as good as these since as we do agree the more stuff going on in the background the higher it is. But my point of posting this is to demonstrate where I'm coming from with my previous posts. It seems clear to me there is CPU power savings but webOS isn't staying in it 100% of the time when idle.

The results with airplane mode on compared to all radios on plus synergy for several accounts plus the palm profile it is clear that all this consumes very little more. Note that almost everyday I get no email on my device for the two email account connections setup. The rare days that I do it is no more than 3 or 4 small emails. I'm assuming the small mA spikes are synergy syncs. There would be more for each app polling such as twitter and facebook if used. I don't have any apps polling for the results in this post. I don't know what your devices mA statistics are and all the contributing factors.

Because we are comparing to the treo 680 I thought I'd comparing my devices results (many others have similar results) to it's CPU specifications. The results of idle and power save states seem to be very close. Because of the lower voltage of omap3430 CPU higher speed doesn't consume more power vs the treo 680. I was assuming they were the same voltage which is why I was figuring the CPU consumed more. Question is does synergy syncing consume more for some users? I assume it still syncs on a regular interval. It is the only thing I can think of that is out of our control for reducing consumption.
    Not exactly extending battery question, but it's better than creating a new thread for this question..

Is this battery good, like a standard battery or?

New OEM Palm Pre Plus Pixi Battery Bp1 157-10119-00 - eBay (item 290458655357 end time Aug-27-10 07:38:56 PDT)
    This is why I usually have my Pre plugged into my computer's usb when I am at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmansuarez View Post
    Leave your data connection off till you need it
    Tried this. Before that my Pre lasted abt 12 hours on a single charge. After turning data connection off, I had 80% remaining after 9 hours! WOW! Now I would like to monitor my data traffic.
    Kaidoloor and others, I recommend installing "Quick System Tasks". I love it. it lets me have control of turning off/on any any of the phone's battery consuming features on demand. I think it does the same thing as Mode switcher. I have my data connection off at all times except when I need it, which is rare because I travel a lot and have constant access to Wi-Fi.

"How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"
    Instead of completely shutting off your phone radio/airplane mode, I just turn data off. This way you wont miss any incoming calls, or text messages etc. while still conserving battery. Give it a try. It makes a huge difference.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    i hope the battery will not be damaged if i am loading the pre everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by prophil View Post
    i hope the battery will not be damaged if i am loading the pre everyday
    I assume you mean rebooting everyday, and no that won't hurt the battery.
    If I know I'm going to use wifi for a long period of time, I set the phone in airplane mode then turn on wifi. Missed calls, I call them later. It saves tons of battery charge.
    Airplane mode is really useful. Especially in an underground subway system.
    I haven't read all the posts in here so I apologize if this has been covered, but are there programs to change the brightness range? Besides Brightness Unlinked, that is. I use Brightness Unlinked and it helps, but even on the lowest setting it is brighter than it needs to be when indoors. Other phones I have had and also my iPod Touch, allow me to turn the backlight down until it is off or close to it. I'd like to do that with my Pre to save battery life. Any developers out there want to tackle this?

Thanks
    Brightness, IMO, doesn't really increase battery life enough to where I'll lower it all the way. One of the best features of the Pre is how well it displays color and it's crispness. I have my brightness set between the "n" and "t" of the word "brightness" and I don't get anymore battery than I would if I had it set to the lowest setting.
    There are several patches in the patches feed that can be installed to reduce the minimum brightness possible. Also mode switch can be used to create profiles for helping perform tasks like turning things on and off, changing screen brightness based on certain factors and much more. Certainly worth looking into. Preware can be used to install the patches and download mode switcher.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    Brightness, IMO, doesn't really increase battery life enough to where I'll lower it all the way. One of the best features of the Pre is how well it displays color and it's crispness. I have my brightness set between the "n" and "t" of the word "brightness" and I don't get anymore battery than I would if I had it set to the lowest setting.
    Thanks. With many previous devices and the Pre, I've read that one way to extend battery life is by reducing brightness and it does make sense that it would. You're saying it doesn't help. Now I'm thinking I need to test this and find out for myself.