Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223242526 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    With DIY modification. I know of one person on the forums who has been modding the 2600 battery door for that.
    Interesting. Does he sell the modified doors? Does he give instructions? I'd like to get/make one of those.

Weird thing. I got a new (refurb) phone recently, and the new one gets much worse battery life than the old one did. It's all the same settings and stuff, as best as I can remember. (That is, I did my best to reproduce all the settings when I got the new phone.) I had been just barely satisfied with battery life on the old phone, but on this one is was unacceptable, sometimes running out over the course of a long evening away from a charger.

So I bought the 2600 battery, which lasts for more than a day. (I took it off the charger around noon, and now, just after midnight, it reads 55% with light use. I was in a low-signal area much of the day, though.)

I turn the brightness of the screen down a lot, but turning off data/email is a non-starter for me. I got this phone primarily to have a mobile email device, the phone is really secondary to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    Interesting. Does he sell the modified doors? Does he give instructions? I'd like to get/make one of those.
    It's probably been a couple months or more since I seen the thread. But if you search for it I believe the thread will answer these questions. I only recall there being a thread on the topic.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.

Weird thing. I got a new (refurb) phone recently, and the new one gets much worse battery life than the old one did. It's all the same settings and stuff, as best as I can remember. (That is, I did my best to reproduce all the settings when I got the new phone.) I had been just barely satisfied with battery life on the old phone, but on this one is was unacceptable, sometimes running out over the course of a long evening away from a charger.

So I bought the 2600 battery, which lasts for more than a day. (I took it off the charger around noon, and now, just after midnight, it reads 55% with light use. I was in a low-signal area much of the day, though.)

I turn the brightness of the screen down a lot, but turning off data/email is a non-starter for me. I got this phone primarily to have a mobile email device, the phone is really secondary to that.
    I had an internal battery connection failure and Sprint provided replacement Pre...likely a refurb. Battery life on both was unacceptable to me and the strategy of turning off most of the features for which I bought the Pre was a non-starter. I bought a 2600 extended life battery and problem solved. I used to charge frequently and live in a marginal reception area. Now I charge every couple of days.
    "You can fool some of the people all of the time and you can fool all of the people some of the time -- actually, those are very good odds!"
    I just turn off all but the phone radio, turn brightness all the way down and use jstop to kill background programs.

If I need data I turn it on as a per-need basis. But I only do this when I don't have a charger available for a long time, otherwise I keep it on the TS at work and at Home and sometimes in the car
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Is it true what Palm/Sprint say about keeping WiFi ON will save battery since when the Pre goes to grab an email and its on WiFi (like at home) it will use WiFi which uses way less power than 3G and will offset the idle time when WiFi is on but not connected?
    Anyone test this?
    will you still recieve text messages in the morning that you missed the previous night? Or will it be just as if you never recieved any, and what about the calls ?
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKy View Post
    YES!
    Where do you find the menu to do that? ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreyah1228 View Post
    Where do you find the menu to do that? ?
    One way is to hit the Quick Reply button, then click Go Advanced. On that page click on the Smiley icon's drop-down menu;there you will find the thumbs-up. Or, click on the Smiley from the gallery on the right of the reply box.

http://i34.tinypic.com/dcy0bt.jpg

If you use the Quote feature, click on the Smiley you want from the gallery on the right. It will not show the smiley,only the wording (such as thumbsup) when you click on it, unless you use the preview button.

Hope this answered your question.
    Free Airave from Sprint has saved me since moving to Deadzoneville, Iowa.
    I'm not entire sure but I definitely remember reading something about apps background update draining battery at somewhere in the forums.. Is it correct? And exactly what does background update do?
    I'm not sure what you mean by background updates. I'm going to assume you mean apps that poll at a user configured interval for stuff. Example twitter clients. The shorter the interval the more consumed but varies depending on the app and too many variables to quantify. However a general rule of thumb is to set the interval to longer intervals and see if there is any significant change in drain rate. But to test the drain rate you will need to use battery monitor and controlled testing to avoid anomalies occurring during testing such as an incoming call in one and not the other tests. Each test should be ran for a long time 8+ hours. And run at least 6 tests at a single setup to get an average drain rate for both the mA avg value and the drain per hour % line). Then change the one thing (example the poll interval for the twitter client) and repeat the 6 8 hour tests. Record the averages and average them and compare to the original test. Repeat for as many single changes you want to make. It is best to not combine more than one change in a single test since it won't be clear if all changes are needed to gain the reduction in drain rate.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Yes that's what I meant by background updates in apps.. I know to set intervals to as longer as possible.. However, there are some apps that do not provide interval settings such as Newsroom, Featured Apps, and few others.. After the 1.4.5 update and I doctored it (with webOS dr 1.4.5 version, of course).. The battery drainage is noticeable more than usual; for an example with 500/800 screenstate, the currently average drain rate is 5.something.. Before the update/doctor, the average drain rate was 2.something.. I admit, I tested it only once.. So I will give it a shot and test it few more times when I have the time..

I just decided to try and turn off all background updates in apps that provided no interval settings, to try and see if it makes any differences.. The background updates are nothing big deal for apps, it will update everytime I open up an app, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyrInFL View Post
    I had an internal battery connection failure and Sprint provided replacement Pre...likely a refurb. Battery life on both was unacceptable to me and the strategy of turning off most of the features for which I bought the Pre was a non-starter. I bought a 2600 extended life battery and problem solved. I used to charge frequently and live in a marginal reception area. Now I charge every couple of days.
    I'm astonished by all the people who get a couple of days off any battery on this thing. I have the 2600, and I might have gotten 2 days (barely) with the prior phone. With this one, I use more than half the charge in a typical day of use. Maybe it's because I sync to 3 email accounts?

Quote Originally Posted by neit_jnf View Post
    I just turn off all but the phone radio, turn brightness all the way down and use jstop to kill background programs.

If I need data I turn it on as a per-need basis. But I only do this when I don't have a charger available for a long time, otherwise I keep it on the TS at work and at Home and sometimes in the car
    Yeah, this is a non-starter for me. I bought the gadget to have a mobile email device, and it can be slow to download. If I can't leave the data connection on the phone is basically a failure. On the other hand, I almost never use it as a phone.

Does anyone know if you can turn off the phone without turning off data, and if that would save any juice?
    Quote Originally Posted by GridIron21 View Post
    I just decided to try and turn off all background updates in apps that provided no interval settings, to try and see if it makes any differences.. The background updates are nothing big deal for apps, it will update everytime I open up an app, correct?
    Most people see an initial increase in drain after an update or fresh doctor of the device. I assume it will level back out to what it was before. Also most apps update when they are opened or have an option or way to update the info like a refresh button. So depending on how you prefer to use those apps you may be fine with turning background polling off.

I'm astonished by all the people who get a couple of days off any battery on this thing. I have the 2600, and I might have gotten 2 days (barely) with the prior phone. With this one, I use more than half the charge in a typical day of use. Maybe it's because I sync to 3 email accounts?
    Really heavy users (average of 100mA / hr drain) aren't going to see two days from it. To get two days out of it your usage has to be around an average of 50mA / hr drain. Some battery savings tips can get you to or close to the target depending on your daily usage pattern.

Does anyone know if you can turn off the phone without turning off data, and if that would save any juice?
    You can if your data is a WiFi connection. Simply turn on airplane mode and then toggle the WiFi radio back on. The phone radio will stay off.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    i live in an area where signal strength is an issue and i noticed that my battery gets drained soooo fast wether i have apps openned or not
    You can if your data is a WiFi connection. Simply turn on airplane mode and then toggle the WiFi radio back on. The phone radio will stay off.
    Yeah, I guess. I very rarely have access to WiFi, mostly only at home, where I have a laptop for email and internet connectivity.

Oh well, thanks anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by morngkilr View Post
    i live in an area where signal strength is an issue and i noticed that my battery gets drained soooo fast wether i have apps openned or not
    Poor signal kills the battery no matter what device you have. Some may have a power save mode to reduce the frequency of searching for signal but outside of that a constant connected but very low signal will burn through much faster. When I'm at my summer home I bounce between sprint and roaming constantly and it eats up all of our devices twice as fast as when we are in our home town. We have a blackberry, an android of some sort, and a dumbphone.
    I love my Pre Plus, battery life has increased since I have had it. Due to the fact I am not longer turning the screen on every ten minutes to play with something stupid. I will say that I miss how long I could have my dumbphone, Samsung myShot, off the charger. The battery in that thing last for almost two weeks without it losing one bar of battery. It was amazing.
    Until battery tech catches up with computer tech that kind of time between charges is a pipe dream for smartphones since they are essentially a pocket computer. The reason a dumbphone's battery lasts so long is because basically the only thing that needs power is the carrier radio. Which of course is why with smartphones thre are threads like this helping users determine what things they can do to help maximize battery life while not degrading their user experience too much. Some peope won't mind turning things on and off when needed. For those like me who don't like to do that we get extended batteries until battery tech catches up and we can have 10,000mAh is a battery the size of the stock battery. My hope is battery tech catches up soon because smartphone are getting more and more powerful.
    Until battery tech catches up with computer tech that kind of time between charges is a pipe dream for smartphones since they are essentially a pocket computer...
    I am currently in the position of being without my Pre (away for repair with a broken power switch) so I have gone back to my old Treo 680 and have been reminded what it is like to have a smartphone with a long battery life. Ok it's not several weeks but I did just go the whole weekend (after leaving my charger at work) without changing and it still had plenty of useful juice this morning.

I have this thing configured to collect emails every 15 minutes and I'm running goosync to keep my diary in sync. Admittedly it's not using 3G or wifi but I have those turned off most of the time anyway on my Pre so it is not clear what the major difference is. I guess the Pre is just being more talkative on the data channel and the processor certainly uses more juice but should be idling most of the time. If I can comfortably manage 3 days with my Treo I really should be able to go a full day with my Pre but I can't