Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kabbisa View Post
    My phone gets *hot* when its been charging all night.

Its battery life has gone in a few weeks from nearly a day (8am thru 8pm) to not reaching the 8hours life!
    ((even with 2g, no push for mail, no location activated,... well, i've used nearly all tips i've seen here in precentral...))

I was thinking in sending it to be repaired or looked up, and took off the telephone-card and put it in my old-iphone (yes, the one i do NOT prefer to pre).

The only thing I did, was using the pre as the old palmOs (calendar, agenda, tasks,..) for one day...
    BUT, when I was going to give it in, i saw it had, after all day long, a 97% battery, and TODAY, after 48h of not having the phone-card in its insides, and not being charged, it has nearly 70%!!!!!
    (now i'm eager to see how many days it lives without the phone-card)

So... how can that be'???

I'm not in a low range phone-net (?) place, so the pre is not searching all day long....

anyone can give me any suggestion of what to do??
    After all those who have had problems when sending their pre's to repair,.. i'm a bit scared in doing so...
    And after seeing that my battery HAS life... the asking for a new one does not seem to fit the problem... or it does'??
    What do you mean by phone card? Are you referring to the sim card?
    If you are I'm considering taking mine out to see if I get the same results as you.
    Last edited by pip smith; 06/19/2010 at 03:12 AM.
    yes, sorry... phone-card = sim card!!
    kabbisa,

Certainly some odd battery thing happening there assuming your usage pattern and daily routine didn't change or change much. How often do you full charge cycle the battery (go from fully charged to auto power off)? If it has been awhile a few weeks or more that may partially have something to do with why things went strange. A full charge cycle will recalibrate the battery capacity thing as over many charges that can drift and make it like the battery doesn't last as long. Also routine reboots will help with anything like a memory leak or data transmission issue that would cause the device to work harder when using it and work when it should be in an idle state. Outside of this you can use a known good device with a known good battery and swap the batteries and see if things are normal on your device and see if things are not normal on the known good device. In that case something may have gone wrong with the battery. The carrier repair location should be able to confirm if the battery has gone bad. If so I would think it be a simple exchange the bad battery for a good battery. As long as it is just the battery having gone bad.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    kabbisa,

Certainly some odd battery thing happening there assuming your usage pattern and daily routine didn't change or change much. How often do you full charge cycle the battery (go from fully charged to auto power off)?
    No, my usage pattern has not changed, i suppose... Maybe longer conversations, but not longer than when the phone was new!

The full charge cycle of the battery is happening daily... I'm off by 8am and return home at about 8-9pm, so my pre got home and went dead (or went dead while i was getting home).

This last few weeks, i saw the pre went to a 20% batt at 2pm... so i began taking the cable with me to recharge it at midday.

I must say i had a very-very old sim card, and, as i began not receiving calls (only the notification -with full phone-net!), i asked for a new sim card.. asuming it was the problem, but with the new one the battery is exactly the same... So, the problem is not the sim-card.

What i have noticed is that after all night long charging, the phone is hotter than it should be... as it was over-charged(?)

Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Also routine reboots will help with anything like a memory leak or data transmission issue that would cause the device to work harder when using it and work when it should be in an idle state.
    I have not rebooted the pre... but when it reboots because of the battery .. is not the same process??

Because i was thinking of giving my pre to repair, i did delete all data. When re-booting, i had to give my palm profile as the first day.
    It was wednesday night. Thursday morning i saw the pre with its 97% batt and thats why i want to make a complete cycle without the sim-card.
    Today Saturday the pre is still at 49%.. no charging, no sim-card. Evidently the usage is not the same... but, i still use it (my calendars, my contacts are there, i can look the email if i have wifi,... )

So, i'll wait, and try again with the sim-card... maybe it had a memory leak or data transmission issue that was repaired while the deleting all data...
    What i have noticed is that after all night long charging, the phone is hotter than it should be... as it was over-charged(?)
    I wouldn't think it would over charge. The design is supposed to prevent that but I would not expect it to get too hot from charging though it is expected to be warmer than normal especially if in active use during charging. If the battery is heating up to over 50C then I'd be worried. High heat approaching 60C battery temperature will cause harm to the life and capacity of the battery. The longer exposed to that kind of heat the faster the battery will wear out. Perhaps that may be a factor. I'm still only guessing as I'm perplexed with what you describe so far.

I have not rebooted the pre... but when it reboots because of the battery .. is not the same process??
    As far as I'm aware yes this is the same thing. When in auto powers off from extremely low battery I'm pretty sure it is as if you select the shutdown to swap battery option. And when the charger is connected it is as if you pressed the power button to boot after making a battery swap.

So, i'll wait, and try again with the sim-card... maybe it had a memory leak or data transmission issue that was repaired while the deleting all data...
    Let me know if it is back to normal when you try it with the sim card in. If not it may be needed to contact tech support or go to a repair location to see what they think.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    i'll do, stoneryno. I suppose the battery won't be long to get exhausted (it was down to 28% this evening.. i've been navigating for a while with the phone).
    Well, i decided to give it a second cycle... and this time its duration was a bit shorter:
    - no sim, no charging, using pre as a palmOs > from Sunday 9am thru Monday 11pm .. about 35hours.

Tomorrow i'll try with the sim card, but surely enough i will buy a new battery...
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I definitely make sure to put my phone in airplane mode if I on the road and hit a dead spot - I've had my phone sucked dry in nothing flat when it goes into that roaming / trying to find a signal mode...
    Robert @ Mobile Cash Quest
    Your shot @ $5,000 is just a FREE App Away!
    Mobile Cash Quest - Scavenger Hunt for Palm Phones where you race other Palm owners for real prizes!
    Well, i decided to give it a second cycle... and this time its duration was a bit shorter:
    - no sim, no charging, using pre as a palmOs > from Sunday 9am thru Monday 11pm .. about 35hours.

Tomorrow i'll try with the sim card, but surely enough i will buy a new battery...
    today has been the day... i started my pre at ... 8? 8.30? and yes, had several calls during the morning, but not other uses and the battery went dead at 19 (having notified the 20% battery remaining at 18)...

So it has been better but not as better as it should be .

¿what would you do in my situation??
    today has been the day... i started my pre at ... 8? 8.30? and yes, had several calls during the morning, but not other uses and the battery went dead at 19 (having notified the 20% battery remaining at 18)...

So it has been better but not as better as it should be .

¿what would you do in my situation??
    I don't recall which model you have: pre/pre+ pixi/pixi+. Just make sure for the first option to use the same model to eliminate any variables due to slight variation due to carrier etc.
    A couple options:

First option: Swap batteries with a known good device that has a known good battery and see if the know good device has the same results as with yours using your battery. At the same time put the known good battery from the known good device in yours. Make sure device settings and test method are as close to identical as possible. Screen brightness, same number of email etc account connections and settings, and perform the test on both in the same spot to eliminate as much as possible signal variation between the two devices. The easiest test would be a really long phone call like an hour or two or better even stay on a call to go from completely charged to auto power off. And compare the results. Keeping the batteries swapped recharge both fully and repeat. Do make sure that both are indeed 100% charged to avoid skewed results for both times. The reason for the repeat test is to verify the results of the first test just in case one or both of the batteries calibration was off. Which is why staying on the call until auto power off would be better as the full cycle will do the calibration. However if the time requirement is to much to do the full cycle on a call then make sure that both batteries get the full cycle prior to testing with the shorter hour or two call. If you want to be real thorough full cycle the batteries in their own devices perform the call test. Then swap the batteries and perform the call test and compare results. That way you have a base line for each device to compare to and also compare to each other with the swapped batteries to see any difference.

Option two: Take the device to your one of your carriers repair locations and have then perform tests or whatever on the battery and device to see if anything has gone bad. Hopefully it is just the battery that needs to be replaced. Note they may ask you to remove any 3rd party stuff especially patches etc because they may think it a possible cause. Though in all likelihood is not a factor unless there is something designed to run in the background that is running the CPU or device radios a lot. Which I assume nothing like this was added just prior to your original posting about the battery issue.

Option three: Do option one and then do option two reporting discoveries from option one. I don't know if the details from option one would help with option two or not. Of course this is assuming any significant difference is discovered in the amount of talk time results from the testing.
    Thanks, StoneRyno.

As option one is not possible.. i'll send my pre (it is a "normal" pre), to the carrier hoping they find whatever is happening.
    As i said, i maybe buy an extra battery and use it to see if it does the same as the one i use now...

((option one is not possible as i know no-one else with a palm webos device!))
    Extended Batteries on EBAY are and they last for a day and a half!!!!
    If it turns out they determine nothing to be wrong extended battery or swapping between two stock batteries would be viable options. I personally have the seidio 2600 and get about 2 day on a full charge. I know it isn't recommended but I prefer to wait until I get the warning the battery is really low and will shut off soon or even let it auto power off before recharging (average ~20mA per hour drain if I don't use it at all). Yes I know it means I will buy replacement battery more often but for some reason if I don't let it run down low and charge to full when it reaches 20 or 30% after only about a week of topping off it is like the calibration is way off and drains like 2x faster or more (average 40 to 50mA per hour drain if I don't use it at all). Add in my typical daily use: averages 65 to 75mA per hour drain if I don't play any 3D games, stream music, or GPS navigate for an extended time. If I do any of that stuff my average goes up to around 100mA per hour drain. But that sort of use is really heavy for me most every day my usage falls in the 65-75mA range.

With all that said I can try and help analyze your usage patterns and see what activities you do the most etc can do to adjust things for more efficient consumption. This can be in place of or in addition to spare or extended battery. This of course assuming we don't hear that there is a battery or hardware problem. But then still we can do the analysis if you so desire regardless.
    My Palm pre got some serious water damage and i have been reading up on different things people have done as far as reviving the pre. One said that it fried his battery and when he went to the store and put a new battery in it turned right on, but would not respond prior when old battery was inside on the charger. Reason i am asking is because i took mines to the verizon store and told them, he simply plugged it in with and without the battery, but did not try a new battery. I don't believe him if the palm pre battery is fried and the phone will not operate on just charger what he did would not disprove or prove that the phone is fried. PLEASE SOMEONE CHECK THEIR PALM PRE WITHOUT A BATTERY AND LET ME KNOW BECAUSE MINES AIN"T DOIN SH%&
    If you plug in without the battery in and press the power button you should get the screen light up with a rounded corner battery icon with a question mark inside it. This is all it will do until a battery is in place. If not your out of luck and my guess is the device is fried. Most of the time exposure to water especially if submerged (even if only a few seconds) a device will be ruined. Water short circuits most electronic components within seconds. However some rare cases people get lucky and experience no issues. But the key is making sure the device is thoroughly dry using a variety of methods. However even in a case like that the warranty is void due to exposure to water. Which is why I always recommend equipment protection insurance. So hopefully you do and aren't totally messed.
    I leave my Wifi and GPS on all the time and use the Seido Chub battery... my phone lasts me all day... I love it!
    got my battery to go from lasting 10 hours to lasting 40 hours...

all i did was turn off wifi and data, since i dont need to check my email all day...i use the internet or gps maybe once or twice a day, so i turn on wifi or data ONLY when i need to.. (found the patch in preware to add a toggle in the top menu.) other than that - i leave it off.. it makes a HUGE difference i couldnt believe it...and i text and use the phone a decent amount...

just thought i would share. but happy i have a "normal" phone now. it doesnt bother me to toggle on data when i need the internet...(two screen presses)..consider it if you dont need emails all day long

also, leaving my phone on overnight used to kill about 15% with no usage (12am - 8am)...now it kills about 2-3%.
    Last edited by oren217; 07/12/2010 at 11:15 AM.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Yes turning a smart phone into a dumb phone will save a lot of battery.
    It just defeats the point of having a cloud based smart phone.

I've never had to do that. I have Wifi on, Data on, a couple polling email
    accounts with steady traffic, and I regularly get 60 hours on standby.
    As I type this, I see that my phone has been off the charger for just over
    11 hours, and battery is only down to 90%.

ian
    how do you only use 10% over 11 hrs, when i use 15% over 8 hrs when im sleeping n not even using the phone?? that makes no sense unless your settings are different... i dont have any overclocking patches on my pre either.....
    Quote Originally Posted by oren217 View Post
    how do you only use 10% over 11 hrs, when i use 15% over 8 hrs when im sleeping n not even using the phone?? that makes no sense unless your settings are different... i dont have any overclocking patches on my pre either.....
    Likely a number of variable not just settings. In the last year plus the pre has been out I have compiled data to find that most users report between 2% and 8% while idle. Factors that will impact drain rate outside of settings:

Cell signal strength
    Data connection bandwidth (slow connection means data radio used longer)
    Background processing (anything that performs routine processing)
    Anything that wakes the display (more occurrences more increase)
    Battery and CPU temperatures (the higher the less power efficient)

There may be other variables too but these are likely the most common differences outside of device and app settings between seemingly like users.