Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    i've had the Pre a copule of weeks now and i can't really tell if my battery is behaving how it should or not because i have no way of benchmarking what is considered 'normal' or 'acceptable'......

for example, i surf the web and have Pandora for a good 90min straight every morning, no calls, no txts, no emails and the screen set to slightly above low.....and always in evdo land...my battery drops down to 65-70%...... is this good? lol no idea.....

i've gotten these same results too, whether the wifi is on or off and not connected to any networks.
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    I got my Pre on release day and my battery life has improved over the course of the past six weeks.

The first couple weeks I got the phone it seemed that I was constantly charging it. I make all the suggested setting changes, disconnected the Hotmail account due to the bug at the time (which I have routed to forward through my Gmail account), etc. It seemed that the battery life wouldn't get any better.

Now after six weeks, I charge it when I get home at night and then take it off the charger with a full charge around midnight. In the morning I check emails and a few different websites and have at least 85% battery life. I work in a EVDO wasteland and can make it through the day without recharging and getting home with moderate use with around 40% life left, which puts it at around 18 hrs or so on one charge. Use a jawbone bluetooth headset with it as well. I also have the option of charging it at work if needed.

My theory is that if you use the suggestions on extending your battery life, it will take a few weeks before the battery "seasons" and gets to its full potential as well as by that time you have gotten most of the "playing with the phone stuff" out of your system with it being new and everything, you will find that the battery life will get better. Also you will get set to your normal daily usage and then you can judge how the battery life is.

At that point you can decide if the extended battery is worth it for your needs or if you can just make it with a car charger, etc.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by antmon1 View Post
    i've had the Pre a copule of weeks now and i can't really tell if my battery is behaving how it should or not because i have no way of benchmarking what is considered 'normal' or 'acceptable'......

for example, i surf the web and have Pandora for a good 90min straight every morning, no calls, no txts, no emails and the screen set to slightly above low.....and always in evdo land...my battery drops down to 65-70%...... is this good? lol no idea.....

i've gotten these same results too, whether the wifi is on or off and not connected to any networks.
    I have played pandora for like 3 or 4 hours on occasion while at work when working in the back room. Typically this drains 50% of the battery. So toss in surfing the web while pandora is playing that sounds like what I would expect to happen. Do note however seeing similarity between mine and yours isn't a good indicator as if we are seeing normal battery life. I'm not really convinced that my battery life is acceptable. 90% of the time I can make it through the day. On occasions there are variables outside of the amount of use that drain the battery much faster than my common experience. Not to mention having to turn off and on certain things to avoid unacceptable drain from them where I didn't have to do that with my blackberry.

Two of those things are GPS (won't be annoying if apps asked to turn it on and then ask if you want to turn it off again after use) and tweet notifications. With either one on, but not both at the same time, the battery will drain from 100% to powering off in about 12 hours with not using it at all. With them off the same scenario it lasts 20 hours. That means the battery drains about 40% faster (8%/hr vs. 5%/hr) when using either of those things. Keep in mind other report about 2%/hr as what is normal for them. My bro sees just under 3%/hr if he only texts his usual daily amount, only uses maybe 20 minutes of talk time, and little to no use of other apps or features. He doesn't use it for email, IM clients, or facebook. He and I are nearly identical in how we use our mobile. However with my normal every day use my battery drains not quite twice as fast as his. Having compared in detail many of the aspects from signal range comparison to setting them identical in everything from account connections to power saving related settings etc mine still drains faster than his in every scenario from no use to heavy use.
    It has been a common topic on these boards...battery life. I thought I'd share a rare POSITIVE report with you guys.

When I first got my Pre, the first few days were pretty bad concerning battery life. I would get 10-12 hours tops with decent usage. Less than 8 with heavy usage. After that first week, my battery started to get better as I started to play around with my Pre less(I used it more for tasks than to explore). I'd guess I was averaging 16 hours with decent usage, less than 12 with heavy.

I don't know if it was updates, me changing settings, or what...but in these past couple weeks, my battery life has been increasing! I haven't had my phone die on me in...well since those first few weeks! I'm never worrying about my battery dying, I can surf the web, play music, go on youtube and not have to worry that I only have 33% battery left...

As I type this now, I took my Pre off the charger 15 hours ago and I still have 56% left! I find that crazy that my battery will last about 32-34 hours on one charge. I haven't really been doing too many taxing activities, mainly texting, couple phone calls, minimal web surfing, decent Pandora/MP3 use. Even when I am using the phone often, my battery still lasts a good 18-20+ hours, which is more than enough to get me through the day and back to my charger.

Just thought I'd share my positive experience with my Pre's battery life, hopefully yours will increase over time as well.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Battery life is definitely releated to signal strength. If I am working in an area with goo signal, after 12 hours I still have about 60% battery left. Weak signal area, I'm lucky if I see 6 hours.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    a goo signal helps, but does cause a mess
    Quote Originally Posted by tcassio View Post
    Battery life is definitely releated to signal strength. If I am working in an area with goo signal, after 12 hours I still have about 60% battery left. Weak signal area, I'm lucky if I see 6 hours.
    What this person said, and you are likely playing with it less now.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post
    What this person said, and you are likely playing with it less now.
    That's what she said. I'm so sorry for thread jacking. I had to.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelet View Post
    That's what she said. I'm so sorry for thread jacking. I had to.
    I understand.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    OP, can you take my test at the other POLL thread?
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I've been noticing better battery life as well. Sitting over night last week used 2.6 % per hour, now it's closer to 1.0.

Can't say if it's updates, conditioning or what but happy with the results.
    I also noticed this just yesterday, when I got the best battery life I've ever seen on the Pre. I left it unplugged most of the day w/ WiFi and GPS on, syncing Facebook, Exchange, Google, etc., and was surfing up until 11:00 p.m. when I threw it in my bedside drawer. When I woke up, the indicator was in the yellow zone, but when I first bought the phone it definitely would have been dead as a doornail under those circumstances. Sorry I can't quantify all this more precisely--I wasn't really expecting it--but I definitely noticed a difference.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I forgot to charge my Pre the other night. When i woke up I still had 30% battery left. So your 30+ hour estimate is about right. It's definitely improving with wear-in as well as me not playing with it every 30 minutes.

I'm happy with the battery life.
    SPRINT NAVIGATION!....Tried it for the first time and within 45mins phone was almost dead.you need to have a car charger if you want to use it.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    It's been inconsistent for me. I saw exactly what you saw, and the battery was getting really hot. Other times I have used Nav and I did not get the same rapid discharge (nor was the batter hot). Not sure why this is.
    NAv uses a bunch of stuff. You have the GPS running the Net for map updates and then the merge of the 2.
    I would think it's most likely the highest of all drainage of any app.

I think the variance comes into play with the refresh of info and how offend it needs to search for the 2 different signals
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I can confirm this, the navigation is great but the draw on the battery is huge.
    Can anybody confirm that tip given in this video to save battery life by NOT closing apps all the time?

youtube.com/watch?v=03ehLEypkDQ

I know all the usual tips here say the opposite. Just want to make sure, cause it could be that the processor is really draining battery by always completely reloading often used apps.
    Wasn't any different on my Pearl, which also had Telenav.
    Quote Originally Posted by briggsie View Post
    SPRINT NAVIGATION!....Tried it for the first time and within 45mins phone was almost dead.you need to have a car charger if you want to use it.
    i get about 2hours with sprint NAV
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast