Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I send a few texts, check a few webpages at work and that's really it. Occasionally listen to a podcast.
    I've just taken my phone off the Touchstone and I'll try to keep track of each time I use it.
    I have Battery Mon already and just verified that it has 100% displayed and actual.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Since I posted the above an hour ago, I've done the following:
    Had to download SimpleGPS to fix my Application updates.
    Deleted.
    Downloaded new Govnah
    Reboot
    Reboot
    Checked some pictures in Photoshare

I'm now at 92%. I guess it's not as bad as I thought. Might be a signal issue at home, might be time to start bugging sprint about about an Airave. I get minimal bars at home, the one that looks like 0 bars are lit up. That's the primary reason I run Wifi, sometime i drop into 1xRTT at home.
    Last edited by potatoboy; 06/02/2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Updated
    Mine seems to last about a day on moderate use. Strange how some people have a high drain yet other people don't. I have bought an ipod touch (which I dropped the other day but have had it replaced) so I don't have to use the music player and that has helped it.

Looking at getting an extended battery though.
    Quote Originally Posted by potatoboy View Post
    I'm now at 92%. I guess it's not as bad as I thought...
    Yeah, I remember the "dumbphone" days where I would shut my phone off every night and I'd have to recharge the battery maybe a couple of times a week. Now, in the world of smartphones, mine stays on 24/7 (reboot scheduler is set to reboot every morning at 4am) and I generally charge mine every night. It lasts me all day at work just fine through probably a couple hundred text messages sent and receive (just got 3 while typing this, lol) and sometimes webpage access, music downloads, occasional streaming radio, stuff like that. Generally I keep the screen a little on the dim side, and I use the screenstate governer set for 500-720MHz. I really can't complain about the battery life considering that this is essentially a handheld computer that does an amazing amount of tasks. Continue to keep us up to date.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I've thrown it on the charger a few times out of habit and haven't really been keeping track of everything since then. I've had a few smartphones before, so I know what to expect. I really think that I might just be running into some signal issues at times and the phone is struggling to lock in. That's probably my battery issue at home.
    Open Phone. Tap on the top left (Verizon Wireless, Sprint, ect) then preferences, then turn Data Usage off. I know this shuts off your 3G/1xrtt, but when I was in school 7am-2pm I shut data usage off and my battery went from 100% to 97%. Usually it's around 70% when data is on. So basically, when your somewhere for a long time where you're not going to use internet, take 10 seconds to shut that off, and save your battery life.
    That is true... i basically do this every night and places where i like u said i will be there a long time and i dont need data then i would turn it off... so no emails, no fb, no mms, no data...
    For those who toggle settings to reduce battery consumption based on certain things may want to check out mode switcher to help automate some of that stuff unless you are accustomed to manually changing the stuff. I just recently got the app installed on my pre but so far am only using it for the default profile for config and app launching on boot up.

This morning I took my phone off the touchstone and batter was at 100%. Set it down in front of me and picked it up 15 minutes later. Battery was down to 95%.
    If the 100% was not actual percent but rather the reported percent this is to be expected since the reported percent is 100% for anything greater than 95% so that the average joe consumer doesn't get confused why their device is discharging while on the charger when the battery is charged. Which is part of a safety cycle (discharge to 95% and top off) to prevent over charging of the battery if it isn't removed at the time it fully charges.

The thing that concerns me is that the Sprint tech said that if i'm still having issues then because of the homebrew items I have they'll do a full reset of the phone and see if I'm still having battery issues. I didn't try to explain that several of the items on my phone should actually be helping increase my battery life, but I think if I did it wouldn't help. I don't want to have to spend a week on a stock pre again

Looking for advice on the next step:
    Head to another sprint store? Try to see if palm will send a battery? What do you guys think?
    We can get you squared away and hopefully happy without the need for dealing with sprint or palm. I have been working with people for the last year to identify what consumes the most through detailed analysis of their usage patterns and daily routine. From that adjustments can be made to certain things to get more out of the stock battery or if that is not possible good alternatives to extended battery or spare stock battery can be chose. I have quantified several key things consumptions and have an excellent success rate at factoring things out.

Since I posted the above an hour ago, I've done the following:
    Had to download SimpleGPS to fix my Application updates.
    Deleted.
    Downloaded new Govnah
    Reboot
    Reboot
    Checked some pictures in Photoshare

I'm now at 92%. I guess it's not as bad as I thought. Might be a signal issue at home, might be time to start bugging sprint about about an Airave. I get minimal bars at home, the one that looks like 0 bars are lit up. That's the primary reason I run Wifi, sometime i drop into 1xRTT at home.
    Signal is one of the biggest factors in consumption if the signal is really low or spotty (bouncing on off roam, between 2g and 3g, and periods of no signal). To identify just how much this is a factor I use a process of elimination from usage patterns and daily usage details provided to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sjholland87 View Post
    Mine seems to last about a day on moderate use. Strange how some people have a high drain yet other people don't. I have bought an ipod touch (which I dropped the other day but have had it replaced) so I don't have to use the music player and that has helped it.

Looking at getting an extended battery though.
    Nearly all of the time it boils down to a difference in usage load. Typically those reporting high drain fit in the heavy user category and those who report low drain fit in the light user category. Most people's idle drain rate on the stock battery will fall between 2% and 6% depending on how much background activity is taking place and if they avoid certain high drain background tasks that aren't needed. Depending on each individuals device and circumstances etc some of the battery saving tips can be skipped. But anyways those things can be determined by analyzing the usage patterns and daily routine of the individual.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    In the first page of this sticky, it says to change settings to check email every 2, 4, 6 or manually or as it arrives is best if available.

Was that a typo? I have Gmail and thought that setting to check email as it arrives uses the most battery. anyone?

Darren
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by csrredcoat View Post
    In the first page of this sticky, it says to change settings to check email every 2, 4, 6 or manually or as it arrives is best if available.

Was that a typo? I have Gmail and thought that setting to check email as it arrives uses the most battery. anyone?

Darren
    I only get about 4 e-mails a day on my Gmail account, so having it check every 4 hr = 6 events a day, which is more access. All of my ad e-mail comes into my Yahoo account. I get about 20 a day, so checking every 6 hr (4 times a day) is plenty.

Darren
    Agreed with JohnKes--unless you get a whole lot of email, as it arrives is usually more efficient because it doesn't go check the server unless something is there, whereas using a set frequency will ensure that it will go check the server every so often (even if nothing is there).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    If the check as arrives is the most efficient, then why would you use anything else?
    If the check as arrives is the most efficient, then why would you use anything else?
    If you get constant emails, it's not as efficient.

For instance, if you get 5 emails an hour, then checking every 15 minutes will only actively pull from the server 4 times in that same amount of time.
    good idea
    I was thinking that checking as it arrives would mean the pre was constantly checking or connected to the server thus using more battery. I am glad as this has always been my favorite choice.
    OK folks - have gone through everything in this thread and all the others trying to figure out what was going on. (The rest of this is essentially a duplicate post just made in another thread but really more appropriate here):

I can only tell you what I wound up doing after experiencing a *VERY* hot battery, (uncomfortably hot just setting at the dinner table in my shirt pocket). I had the wife touch it, (misery loves company), then totally shut it down. For the following week I experienced a battery discharge rate far beyond what I was used to after a couple months experience with my Verizon Palm Pre Plus. Thought about taking it in, but this Verizon Store likes to replace phones with a refurbished one and you keep your current battery - I was convinced the battery is the problem.

I think I've read about everything there is in these forums, (old and new posts), and tried all of the tricks for "managing" battery life. Still convinced it was the battery itself, I ordered a fifteen buck replacement battery (Palm BP1) just like what was in it off of Verizon.

The battery arrived in today's mail and is now in the phone, fully charged.

Over the past 3 hours (it has not touched my TouchStone again after reaching 100%), I have had 2 short phone calls, a couple of text message exchanges, responded to 3 emails, took 3 pictures and sent copies to myself on another account, updated my FaceBook status, performed a minor edit to a page on my blog and about 10 minutes of minor web surfing. After all that, my current battery capacity is...

Drum roll please...

95%

Your mileage may vary, but that is what happened to me and what I've chosen to do about it. Good luck with yours!

~~~

Edited: One thing I forgot to mention, when the new battery arrived today I was *very* careful to compare new/old to assure the packaging was the exact same form factor and all of the numbers matched. I've been burned via "mail-order" long before there was an Amazon.com -
    oldgeekster,

I'm glad that it was only the battery. Not sure what may have caused your device to get as hot as it did, but if the battery exceeded the temperature listed on the warning label it may very well have damaged the battery and would probably be why you observed the significant change in consumption. Though I would be surprised if it randomly happened again but if you want there is a patch that warns when the battery temperature gets to a certain point which could come in handy in the odd chance something like that were to creep up. It sound like you are on par with the better end of drain rates i have observed over the last year from reports of user experiences on the precentral forum.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the tips
    wow cool staff. thanks for sharing
    My phone gets *hot* when its been charging all night.

Its battery life has gone in a few weeks from nearly a day (8am thru 8pm) to not reaching the 8hours life!
    ((even with 2g, no push for mail, no location activated,... well, i've used nearly all tips i've seen here in precentral...))

I was thinking in sending it to be repaired or looked up, and took off the sim-card and put it in my old-iphone (yes, the one i do NOT prefer to pre).

The only thing I did, was using the pre as the old palmOs (calendar, agenda, tasks,..) for one day...
    BUT, when I was going to give it in, i saw it had, after all day long, a 97% battery, and TODAY, after 48h of not having the phone-card in its insides, and not being charged, it has nearly 70%!!!!!
    (now i'm eager to see how many days it lives without the sim-card)

So... how can that be'???

I'm not in a low range phone-net (?) place, so the pre is not searching all day long....

anyone can give me any suggestion of what to do??
    After all those who have had problems when sending their pre's to repair,.. i'm a bit scared in doing so...
    And after seeing that my battery HAS life... the asking for a new one does not seem to fit the problem... or it does'??
    Last edited by kabbisa; 06/18/2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: changing "phone-card" to "sim card". (thanks pip smith)