Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by djdalaney View Post
    I do have it off normally, but I didn't for this test. I have one account and it updates when new items arrive.

Yeah I do all that, except I didn't know about facebook, but I'll change that now too. People must hardly use their phones to get that low or something.
    Essentially ... either disable all the cool features of your phone, or get a bigger bulkier battery. The Pre consumes battery like crazy, just due to the way it is designed and it has a very small battery.
    the stock battery flat out sucks. I too can barely make it home from work with out the phone completely drained.

solution: get the seidio 1350mAh battery. Fits the current form factor and now I can make it about 14hrs vs. less than 8hrs with stock.
    I do have it off normally, but I didn't for this test. I have one account and it updates when new items arrive.

Yeah I do all that, except I didn't know about facebook, but I'll change that now too. People must hardly use their phones to get that low or something.
    If you're in a building that blocks radio signals, your phone will constantly attempt to reconnect, which will drain your battery.

I basically turn off everything but the Phone radio, and I only turn stuff on when I need it. The WiFi sleep settings i changed to "Turn WiFi Off" -- so when my screen goes off it no longer tries to keep the connection, but when the screen comes back on it connects in just a few seconds.

I also turned off all the Push settings - mail, facebook, gtalk, everything. If I want to use it I'll just turn it on manually. I don't like my phone doing anything I don't tell it to. I think the setting your on, the one that pushes mail to you as soon as it arrives in your inbox, is probably the worst when it comes to battery drain. When I had that on (along with WiFi on constantly) I would go to bed with 100% battery and wake up with something like 40-50%.

You can also try turning the brightness on your screen down. Mine is at 35 and still looks pretty darn bright. A patch just came out that inverts the brightness of the keypad vs the brightness of the screen (lower the screen brightness and the keypad gets brighter). You can find it here.

Typically I'll go to bed now with 100% battery and wake up with 95-98%.

Smartphones are portable computers that crunch a LOT of 1's and 0's -- battery drain will always be a problem. Learning good power management, I have found, is the key to getting the most out of my smart-devices. Of course, there are a few tricks to each device that have to be learned, and there are a few threads here at P|C that were really helpful. You should do a search.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    When I first got my Pre, it used battery fast. I set my Yahoo acct to download every 6 hours, because I get a lot of mail throughout the day. I set my Gmail acct to "as they come in" because I get only a few per day. Playing with the Contacts uses a lot of power because every little change you make initiates communication with Google Mail Contacts. Weather Dashboard drained my battery while my Pre was on the Touchstone! I had to fiddle with the settings to Refresh Every 4 Hr, Wake Device = Off.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cooliosam View Post
    the stock battery flat out sucks. I too can barely make it home from work with out the phone completely drained.

solution: get the seidio 1350mAh battery. Fits the current form factor and now I can make it about 14hrs vs. less than 8hrs with stock.
    The Sedio 1350 battery fits without having to get different back cover right? Does it still charge on Touchstone?
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Yes, it should.
    Quote Originally Posted by cooliosam View Post

I have that battery, and it rocks and works with touchstone... I also have the 2600 and steve is going to retrofit the cover for that to work with touchstone too. I love my Pre.
    I downloaded a patch last night that allows me to turn off data connection(Advanced phone Menu if you're wondering), and that made a huge difference.Then I can just turn it back on when I need it. It was at 2% drainage with that off and even with pretty heavy use for about an hour or so today(Music, web, etc.) I have 55%(vs about 28% yesterday, Data connection on). Just a little suggestion for everyone who doesn't need 3G all the time. Thanks for the tips everyone, I think I'm going to get the 1350mAh battery soon.
    For the longest time, I had IMs on all the time without even noticing. I use them once in a blue moon, which would probably change once they include MSN. But going offline in Buddies helped my battery life immensely without really affecting me, so maybe you should go for it. If I had friends on ytalk or gtalk or whatever, I think I'd probably still go for it though, or if they came up with MSN support...
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    For the longest time, I had IMs on all the time without even noticing. I use them once in a blue moon, which would probably change once they include MSN. But going offline in Buddies helped my battery life immensely without really affecting me, so maybe you should go for it. If I had friends on ytalk or gtalk or whatever, I think I'd probably still go for it though, or if they came up with MSN support...
    Mine's offline as far as I know, but I just deleted the IM account since I don't have any friends on there anyways. I'm kind of wondering if I still recieve texts and stuff though with my data connection off. It seems like I do, but sometimes I'll turn data back on and I'll recieve a bunch all at once.
    My battery life is pretty terrible. I've have this phone for almost a week and it really hasn't changed. I have the AT&T Pre Plus. I have wi-fi on(doesn't really make a difference in battery life, on or off), screen state set to 500mhz and 800mhz, and all I was really doing during this monitoring was texting one person and the phone was locked besides that. I've been seeing people get below 1% drainage per hour and mine is at over 7%? It was even higher, around 12% drainage per hour earlier. Could there be a problem with my battery? I can barely make it through the school day on a charge with pretty light use. I can't post the screenshot of my battery monitor though, because I don't have 10 posts yet.
    The battery life of a smartphone like the Pre is never going to be great. You battery life will stabalize after about a week or so, and should improve. You can also go here for tips. http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...life-tips.html
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Now that I have about 10 days of use, I get about 10% drain an hour during the day. So I can get about 8 hours of use before requiring a charge. Still much weaker than my 2 year old iPhone 3G.

At night, from say 9pm - 6am, my battery will go from 100% down to only 85-87%...obviously zero use during that time.

What I have on:

One IM account logged in 100% of the time.
    Exchange: As items arrive
    Gmail: 6 hours interval
    Yahoo email: As items arrive
    2nd Yahoo: 12 hours interval

I have to echo most Pre+ users...the battery life is definitely the weakest part. However, I can make do as I have my Touchstone at my work desk at all times. It works for me.
    I actually had much better battery life today. I took it off the touchstone at around 12:30 and it's at 69% right now, although I was doing less texting than normal. I suppose it could be that alone. Also, does anyone else have the problem where screenstate doesn't ramp down the frequency when you manually turn the screen off with the power button? I looked around in the uberkernal thread, but I didn't see an answer.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I notice that on mine too.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Active IM is a battery killer. I had to turn it off as I have signal issues at work and the IM programs start freaking out. IM+ needs to update their app to provide offline mode like on WM.

Right now I just stay logged into Yahoo and Aim via SMS.

switching to sms IM I went from being at 60% at noon (from 8am) to 80%.

My afternoon usage is much higer and I'm playing around so I'm not sure of full day use yet. But throwing it on the touchstone for 30 minutes midday keeps me going nicely
    can anyone give me any advice? my battery life just took a turn for the worst. battery monitor reports reports that during use i'm using about 20% (sometimes more) per hour when i am on 3G.

For some reason it is a lot less when I am on wifi (about 8% during use) even when I am in areas of good 3G network.

i removed all overclocking features recently. my GPS is off, i decreased the frequency of refreshing on my twitter and facebook apps and set email to manual. my phone was even plugged in and it was losing percentage. i'm confused!
    Quote Originally Posted by olufadi1 View Post
    can anyone give me any advice? my battery life just took a turn for the worst. battery monitor reports reports that during use i'm using about 20% (sometimes more) per hour when i am on 3G.

For some reason it is a lot less when I am on wifi (about 8% during use) even when I am in areas of good 3G network.

i removed all overclocking features recently. my GPS is off, i decreased the frequency of refreshing on my twitter and facebook apps and set email to manual. my phone was even plugged in and it was losing percentage. i'm confused!
    I can help identify what thing(s) are consuming the most but I will need some info on settings and usage.

How long since last full cycle of the battery? (from fully charged to auto power off or the device is about to shut off from low battery warning)
    estimated screen brightness level
    estimated amount of time the screen is on (if only a lot of very short times like 15 seconds give or take give a best guess)
    talk time
    time browsing the web, streaming music, video usage, GPS navigating etc (please indicate amounts for all that apply)
    number of email accounts and frequency of email retrieval (if as items arrive how frequent do you get notified of email).
    Are you connected to any IM services, if so how many and how long?

If i have missed any other usage please do add it. Once I have all this info i can use my experience in detailing consumption from various things to help you adjust things etc to get your battery back on track or offer advice on alternatives depending on your usage patterns.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by fed123 View Post
    I got my Verizon Palm Pre plus less than two months ago and have been very happy with it. I would charge it to 100% before gong to bed, then put it in airplane mode overnight. The next night when I was ready to charge it again. it would still have a little more than more than 50% battery life left. I only use the phone for a few calls and emails, and occasionally the wifi hotspot. I have yet to use the internet, no photos, youtube or other videos. Yesterday for the first time I downloaded two apps, the flashlight and my virtual keyboard. I've been experimenting whether to use wifi or 3G when at home but haven't seen any real difference.

From one day to the next my battery started draining rapidly for no apparent reason. Last night I charged to green (100%) put the phone in airplane mode, and woke up to a charge so low that the time on the phone was wrong. The phone also seemed to be a bit warmer than usual.

I ran over to Verizon and after a battle got them to swap out my battery. They tried to tell me that with multitasking the Palm battery life is short. But not only have I done little multitasking, at $39.00 a pop I will be spending $250 a year just changing batteries! Can't tell just yet how the newly installed battery will perform.

Something has clearly changed. What is the normal battery life with this phone? I expected to get at least 365 charges out of these batteries, at least one a day. I have gotten less than 60. At the rate I was losing battery the phone would have to be on permanent charge. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Fed, I am experiencing something similar. Have had it very nice over this past couple of months then last Thursday, noted my phone was uncomfortably hot in my shirt pocket. Took it out and yeah - it was HOT - so shut it down to cool off. Since that day I've been experiencing the battery draining about 5 times faster than I am used to seeing. Will be over at my local Verizon store describing/demonstrating it and asking "what are we going to do about that?" on Thursday.

Did yours get hot while off the charger too?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Here's my setup:
    Sprint Pre
    UberKernal
    Govnah
    Conservative
    Min 250
    Max 800
    Sample .5
    Up Threshold 80%
    Down Threshold 20%
    Step 10%
    GPS Off
    Wifi - On when at a node
    Brightness 5%
    Off in 30s
    No cards running
    Preset Reset had just restarted the device 4 hours earlier at 6am.

This morning I took my phone off the touchstone and batter was at 100%. Set it down in front of me and picked it up 15 minutes later. Battery was down to 95%.

Wifi was on at the time, and but signal should have been very small, i was about 4 feet away from the access point.

I had been to sprint last week because of battery life and they said the battery tested fine, but to me I still seem to be draining way faster than I'd like.
    The thing that concerns me is that the Sprint tech said that if i'm still having issues then because of the homebrew items I have they'll do a full reset of the phone and see if I'm still having battery issues. I didn't try to explain that several of the items on my phone should actually be helping increase my battery life, but I think if I did it wouldn't help. I don't want to have to spend a week on a stock pre again

Looking for advice on the next step:
    Head to another sprint store? Try to see if palm will send a battery? What do you guys think?
    A 5% loss in 15 minutes isn't unheard of. How does your battery hold up for longer periods of time?

As an example, just this morning, i took mine off the charger around 6am. Got to work at 6:35am and I was around 95%. I text quite a bit during the day and it's 11:43 now. My battery is at 63%. So almost 6 hours and I've lost 37% battery life or an average of 6.1% per hour. That's not too bad as I've sent and received loads of messages. I would recommend installing the battery monitor app and letting it run in the background. Set it to poll like every minute or so. What other things do you do with your phone all day? How long does your phone last before having to recharge?
    Last edited by Donmeister85; 06/02/2010 at 10:54 AM.