Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Likely the phone radio. If you have bad coverage wherever you are, try the roam only patch, and set to roam only when in those locations. I have to do this when at home, or the battery dies over night if it's not in the charger.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Instead of creating a new topic, I'll just revive this one. For the past four days, I would turn my phone off at night (battery level ranging from 60%-90%) and turn it back on in the morning to find the low battery level warning. I switched batteries at first, but the problem persisted. Not sure what's going on here. Going to exchange it. 4th time's the charm... I hope.
    At the risk of extending this thread further I have noticed that my Pre battery life has bombed over the past couple of weeks. I used to get through a full day (6am-11pm) with maybe 20% left but now my Pre is dead by 8pm unless I recharge during the day. My usage hasn't changed and there have been no firmware updates in this time. I don't switch off (or even to airplane mode) so it must be something else.

I have just, today, removed a bunch off apps to see if that helps but I can't see how.
    I did fiddle with location services a short while ago to enable google location service (as the GPS mostly doesn't work for me - UK O2 contract) but that is now set to prompt me so I don't see how that will cause problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    Sorry my friend the battery super sucks in general..And don't even use chat homie your battery will die within 1 hour. I'd give you 100 bucks if im lying!!
    I'll take $100 thanks.

PM me for my Paypal. Oh, and STHU
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    I got my Verizon Palm Pre plus less than two months ago and have been very happy with it. I would charge it to 100% before gong to bed, then put it in airplane mode overnight. The next night when I was ready to charge it again. it would still have a little more than more than 50% battery life left. I only use the phone for a few calls and emails, and occasionally the wifi hotspot. I have yet to use the internet, no photos, youtube or other videos. Yesterday for the first time I downloaded two apps, the flashlight and my virtual keyboard. I've been experimenting whether to use wifi or 3G when at home but haven't seen any real difference.

From one day to the next my battery started draining rapidly for no apparent reason. Last night I charged to green (100%) put the phone in airplane mode, and woke up to a charge so low that the time on the phone was wrong. The phone also seemed to be a bit warmer than usual.

I ran over to Verizon and after a battle got them to swap out my battery. They tried to tell me that with multitasking the Palm battery life is short. But not only have I done little multitasking, at $39.00 a pop I will be spending $250 a year just changing batteries! Can't tell just yet how the newly installed battery will perform.

Something has clearly changed. What is the normal battery life with this phone? I expected to get at least 365 charges out of these batteries, at least one a day. I have gotten less than 60. At the rate I was losing battery the phone would have to be on permanent charge. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Seems like your battery life *used* to be great. I get a day w/ my Sprint Palm Pre but I'm a heavy user. (so I need to charge it during the day to get me through each day)

Maybe the VK is the culprit? If you had great battery life before you installed those apps, they try uninstalling them and reboot. The battery itself can't suddenly degrade that fast unless it was badly damaged (overdischarged or overcharged or exposed to high heat, etc)

If your battery life is still bad after getting rid of the VK app, then try removing the flashlight. I have the flashlight app (Jason's app that uses the LED) and used to have VK but never saw the kind of drain you are experiencing.
    If things are still bad, try Jason WebOS Repair Utility...and if that doesn't help, try WebOS Doctor.
    also, these batteries last a while. I still use my years old Centro batteries in my Pre. Around 500 cycles (or more) should be achievable, especially if you frequently top off your battery. Li-ion batts do not like to go through full charge/discharge cycles.

If your battery is truly damaged, try sticking it in the freezer overnight (put in ziplock bag first) and this will revive it so you get some more life out of it. NO JOKE! It will revive bad li-ion batts. But your battery is probably fine. It's just 2 months old.

Sounds like maybe your phone just needs a reset. Try that first.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Thanks rogerkang. I'll try that if the new battery drains as fast as the last one.
    Quote Originally Posted by fed123 View Post
    Yesterday for the first time I downloaded two apps, the flashlight and my virtual keyboard. I've been experimenting whether to use wifi or 3G when at home but haven't seen any real difference.
    You didn't say which flashlight. If I remember correctly, at least one of them required that you install a service. Services run in the background, and the uses up battery.

I can't say if that's your problem. As a matter of fact, I can't really even say for sure that you have a problem. Your original success with the battery is really out of the norm.

I might can go a workday without charging, but that's pushing it. I fully charge my Pre every night (it sits on the Touchstone), and usually charged it at least once during the day on the USB cable. Now I have a Touchstone at work, and I charge it off and on all day at work.

It's now a little over a year old, and I have never replaced the battery. However, as I said, I've always had to charge it every night, and usually at least once during the day.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    The flashlight was the free one by inspiring apps. I read the reviews for the flashlight and keyboard. They were positive and no one complained about them causing a battery drain. BTW- is there a difference between rebooting, restarting and resetting the phone. A bit confused on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by fed123 View Post
    BTW- is there a difference between rebooting, restarting and resetting the phone. A bit confused on this.
    Generally no... they are used synonymously.

The only exception is that in the Device Info app, the button at the bottom says "Reset Options" and in that section, you have Restart, Shutdown, Erase Apps & Data and Erase USB Drive.

The first two are in the general restart/reboot category and the last two obviously are not.

Usually if someone is talking about either of latter options or WebOS Doctor, they will spell them out.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Thanks pastorrich1
    Even if you were using the LED Torch app (found in Preware) which uses the background service and the actual camera flash LED as a flashlight, I don't think your battery would drain that much b/c o this simple app and the installed service.
    Since you're using one of the basic flashlight apps that simply turns the screen white (or some other color), it should be off when not in use and nothing should be running in the background anyway.
    It sounds like there may have been some kind of bug during the install and *something* was draining the battery. I hope the restart helped. Let us know how it works out.

Also, I would keep the phone plugged in and charging at night so it is ready to go w/ a full charge in the morning.
    In my experience, two things are eating battery a lot: GPS and 1X (I am on verizon)
    Try to get fix with palm when there is no signal, or GPS is a sleep, or it doesn't work- battery charge percent are flying down as crazy.
    Also, when signal strength going from 3g to 1x, the phone gets hot and your battery is draining also like a sieve...
    mine always dies quick when roaming
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Mine is dead by 1:00pm every day unless i am tethered to a charger. Absolutely ridiculous.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Glad I didn't read this thread before I went over to Verizon and swapped out my 2 month old battery after it went from full green (100%) to 20% overnight in airplane mode.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    I got the new battery and so far the phone is working as it did before the draining began. I guess now I'll never know whether a restart with the old battery would have done the trick. Certainly the restart with new battery has made a difference. Thanks again for the help!
    I've always had a problem with batteries dying on my phone. The only things i have on are AIM, GPS, google services, wifi and email. Will these run my battery down a lot or minimal? What patches can i download or whatnot to make it more effecient? Anything i didnt list that you feel like mentioning that i may have or you know is installed stock feel free.
    Is this a joke?

What kills the battery? Everything you listed! Especially AIM
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.