Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 24 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Gps is off, not logged into facebook app or any im application
    Quote Originally Posted by iJason View Post
    so would you suggest I wait a few days and see if the battery improves before going back to verizon?
    More like a week or two. All cellphone batteries require some cycling (i.e. full discharge - full charge cycles) before reaching their maximum capacity, but there's something with these Palm batteries that makes it much more noticeable with them than other batteries. Add to that the fact that webOS is a veritable power hog and you got yourself a whole bunch of people getting a bad first impression.

When I got my Pre in October, my first battery charge lasted me for all of two hours. These days I can make it through most days on one charge (and that is with me using the internet a LOT on the go), and have a spare for the days that one battery just won't cut it. My last battery switch was on saturday, or rather 1am on sunday morning.

A few quick battery save tips:
    Check your email sync times in the email application. Some people get better battery life with items syncing 'as they arrive', for others that is a battery hog extraordinaire and a sync time of 15 or 30 minutes provides relief. Try out different settings and see which is better for you.
    Only sign into your IM services (under 'buddies' in the messaging app) when you're actually going to use them; being constantly online at GTalk and Y!M will drain your battery like nobody's business.
    Try to crank down your screen a little. With great color comes great drain. I have my screen brightness at around the one-third mark and my screen is still more brilliant than an iPhone. At full brightness, your display is more beautiful and brilliant than the sun, but also pulling more energy per hour than the sun is putting out.

Apart from that, you will notice your battery drain magically going down once your honeymoon period with the device is over and you stop constantly playing with it. Then again, I've had mine for over half a year and still can't stop playing with it.

FYI, the main reason why the Pre's battery drain is so much worse than other smartphones is the fact that its PowerVR GPU is not currently being used to render UI animations; all that scrolling that you see is done by the CPU, which is horrendously inefficient at it. Once the GPU is enabled - the update that will do that is scheduled for this summer - you will see your battery life improving by a whole bunch.
    I must be lucky. My ATT Pre+ has been unplugged since 7:30AM, and it's now 5PM (9.5 hours). And I've got 47% left.

Here's what I've done with it so far today:
    About 40 total SMS texts.
    Installed about 25 patches (none of which are hardware related like cpu control) and launching Preware a bunch of times.
    Restarted luna like 4 times.
    Used the web browser for maybe total of half hour.
    Sent a few moderately length emails.

I'm also on original battery. I'm not sure if this helped my battery life but I leave no apps opened. After I'm done, I flick them off, unless I know I'm gonna be using it for the time being (like SMS conversation for a few minutes).
    Quote Originally Posted by iJason View Post
    so would you suggest I wait a few days and see if the battery improves before going back to verizon?
    I am suggesting that you can probably improve battery life, but that going back to Verizon isn't going to help unless you can identify something that isn't actually working. The fact is that I got no more than 5 hours on a charge for the first week I had the phone because I pounded the crap out of it. I couldn't put it down.

Once I started using it less like a crack addict, I still didn't get more than 8 hours of reasonable usage. I spent the money to get a 1400mah battery for touchstone use, and a 2600mah battery when I'm not at my desk. The big battery gives me 24-48 hours of fairly heavy use, and I don't mind the extra size.

But all smartphones have insufficient battery life. A trip to vz will only be useful if there is a problem. Step one is to use the battery saving tips and make sure there isn't anything going on in the background to suck the battery. Once you are sure there isn't anything contributing to drain, you can try asking VZ for another battery - but I would be surprised if it helps...
    Quote Originally Posted by staeit View Post
    This. Unfortunately we (and by we I refer to the general consortium of Engineers responsible for all the lovely devices used today) have not found a way to keep the quality of battery life on par with the quality of smartphones those batteries power. That said, I have found that my [stock] battery can last all day, especially if I actually use it more like a phone than a tiny computer. I have yet to hear of a smartphone with *amazing* battery life - if you use any phone like a little portable PC it will die within maybe 8 hours for devices with the longest battery life. However if your phone dies within 4 hours even with LCD display off, wifi off, gps off, etc. then you might have an issue. Until I order the Seidio 2600 mAh battery (something I definitely plan to do) I will probably 'haul' my charger (just the USB cable) around with me, seeing as I am by a computer all day anyways.

Um the Droids battery lasts all day and it multitasks and has a bigger screen.

Let's stop making excuses and enabling Palm, the Pre has bad battery life because it has bad battery life, not because all Smartphones can't make it passed 4 pm.
    @GSH... I didn't know that about the GPU. Seems pretty silly that they aren't using it yet... but that tells me I can save battery by using the patch that has keyboard shortcuts for top/bottom and pageup/pagedown from the keyboard... I'm going to give that a try and see if I notice any improvement. My flicking finger was getting tired anyway...
    I have had my phone for 2 months I am still using the stock battery that came with the phone I am getting 16 hours of battery life with normal use making a few calls, text I have yahoo and live messenger logged in all the time, I surf the web through out the day. I am very happy with the stock battery

just have to give it some time I was getting 5 hours of charge when I first got my phone
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    It's a shame they put so much effort into making phone do everything, yet give it battery life that makes it capable of doing nothing. I love all the "solutions" above...turn this off, turn that off, don't use your phone as a PC, disable chat...basically turning a smartphone into an ordinary phone. What's the point? I'm also sick of hearing "but the iPhone is the same". How ignorant is that? Hey they suck, so we can suck too! YAY! :FAIL:
    I'd suggest that you read this thread, and the other threads with links in the top posts... that will get you started and that thread is a good place to ask questions. I found that following those suggestions, overclocking (which seems to improve battery life) and not using my pre every minute of every day have brought me to acceptable battery life...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...life-tips.html
    Don't worry about it, it's such a silly thing that a lot of people forget / don't think about it in the first place. Just shows you how pre(!)mature webOS really is ATM. But those of us that were real early adopters just have to live with the fact that all early adopters always get the shaft... it's just in the nature of things.

But as I said: I think it was Dion that said at the developer day that the OS update giving us smoother UI transitions and scrolling by finally enabling the GPU for the UI (using hardware-accelerated CSS transforms) is slated to arrive "by fall", which I take to mean that it's going to be in the OS update after the next one, or the next 'major' update, i.e. 1.5 sometime in July if we're lucky, or August otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by blz2 View Post
    It's a shame they put so much effort into making phone do everything, yet give it battery life that makes it capable of doing nothing. I love all the "solutions" above...turn this off, turn that off, don't use your phone as a PC, disable chat...basically turning a smartphone into an ordinary phone. What's the point? I'm also sick of hearing "but the iPhone is the same". How ignorant is that? Hey they suck, so we can suck too! YAY! :FAIL:
    OK, if your Pre sucks so much, why don't you just leave instead of posting about how much this Palm Dumbphone sucks? Talk about FAIL. I won't even go into how it would have to be 'failure' as "fail" is a verb as I'm pretty sure you don't care, just like the other 100 million internet users that get the idea that they're too good for regular grammar by virtue of using the internet.

I also love your logic: in order not to fail, a device must be better than the iPhone. If it's just the same, it fails. But the iPhone rocks just being the way it is. Zuh?
    Quote Originally Posted by blz2 View Post
    You are almost correct. I agree that "we suck like our competitors" isn't a decent product strategy. But, tuning things doesn't turn it in to a dumb phone. In fact, most of the suggestions you will see should be the defaults from Palm, IMHO.

I don't have any need for the WiFi connection, when the phone is asleep. I don't need BlueTooth on when I'm not using BlueTooth. I don't need location services on when I'm inside. Launching Google Maps will have a dialog pop up to see if I want them to turn on while the app is open.

Just because a fighter jet has afterburners doesn't mean you want them running all the time. Better to save the fuel and stress for when you do.

Same with a smart phone. The Pre is so configurable and flexible (especially with Preware) that each of us can tune it to be what we need, and not waste power on stuff we don't. As I said, I think Palm's default settings are a big part of the issue. Another favorite for me is that I use the patch that doesn't have the browser automatically refresh the page every time I maximize it. I still can't figure out why ANYONE would want that behavior, and it uses battery. When I switch to an open page, I want to see that page, not sit there while it refreshes. If I want it refreshed, I'll tap refresh, just like a PC.

That patch has saved me some battery, and I can't figure out why Palm would have the default behavior that they do.

So at the end of this rant, I think the phone is freaking smart, freaking fun, and freaking useful. We all fiddle some to protect the battery, and we all have to learn some stuff so we can tweak it to our liking... That makes us smart users for a really smart phone.

But yes, Palm was crazy to use the same anemic battery they used in the Centro. What the heck were they thinking???
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    btw whats a luna restart
    Battery life is also dramatically impacted by signal strength. If you're in a high signal area you'll get much better battery life. My work is in terrible signal area. I have a touchstone at the desk and leave the phone there most of the time. I also carry a spare battery.

IMHO battery life is one of the major drawbacks of the Pre. I think it's impacted by what I perceive to be signal strength flopping on the Pre that isn't on other sprint phones that I've had. For an example of the signal flopping that I'm talking about look at this (*). You'll see the Pre's signal go from 5 bars to 1 bar to 0 bars and back to 5 in a few seconds. This drains battery like *crazy*. I really wish that this would get fixed.

(*) I think I got the right video. I can't get to youtube from work and (as mentioned) I get terrible signal here, so I'm having a hard time verifying it's the right one. I will edit later if it's wrong video.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    OK, if your Pre sucks so much, why don't you just leave instead of posting about how much this Palm Dumbphone sucks? Talk about FAIL. I won't even go into how it would have to be 'failure' as "fail" is a verb as I'm pretty sure you don't care, just like the other 100 million internet users that get the idea that they're too good for regular grammar by virtue of using the internet.

I also love your logic: in order not to fail, a device must be better than the iPhone. If it's just the same, it fails. But the iPhone rocks just being the way it is. Zuh?
    Touched a nerve there didn't I? At what point did I say the Pre sucked? At what point did I say it had to be better than the iPhone? I'm not the one with the excuse "...but the iPhone is the same" every time someone points out a flaw. That would be the ******* on here. You however, are obviously brainwashed by your Pre and can't possibly acknowledge the fact something might not be 100% satisfactory (ie, battery life). Guess what, the battery is terrible, I don't care how you try to cover it up. I like my Pre, what I hate is the fact that I can't be away from a power source for 5 hours.

thanx for the gRamer leson, i fele so inlighted by ur amazeeng enteligents. duh har har
    I am on day six with my new Pre Plus from Verizon. I took my phone back to the verizon store thinking that something was wrong with it because the battery would die after 2-3 hours of playing with my new sweet toy. The rep told me I should return it and buy a Droid for $300 before the mail in rebate, but i persisted and just wanted him to get me a new battery. So I got the new battery and it did the same thing. So i just decided to get the extended life battery, but the past 5 days now my battery life is getting better and better. I think someone need to train the reps at the carriers about the phones they carrie.
    LOL welcome to the club gotta keep that charger on deck...
    One thing worth noting is it could possibly be a bad battery. My friend had this issue, similar to the 1st post. Although not quite to that degree. I lent him my spare battery and he got much better battery life. Just a thought. I would also say bad signal definitely does suck the battery dry. Anyway I would suggest giving the spare battery a go.
    I have a stock battery and it's flipping awesome!...But, unfortunately, I had to turn off pretty much every ga darn thing on the phone just to get good battery life. I turned off gps and location services. I turn off data when I don't need it. I roam when I know I won't be getting good signal. The phone needs to be able to shut down things that I'm not using. I don't want to keep doing it for Palm. I paid way too much for this phone for me to be assisting it to manage my darn battery life. And the darn thing doesn't even auto scroll with the text I'm typing. I have to keep using my finger to scroll and I'm getting ****ed, so I'm gonna stop typing now.
    ROTFL - its a bit off-topic, but just two days ago I received a long-distance call from a dear friend using a pay phone to tell me his iPhone had died and he wouldn't be "checking in". Without thinking I asked him if he had tried removing/replacing the battery. After a long pause he reminded me that the battery is sealed in the iPhone and he can't get at it. He sounded just a little bit that I didn't appreciate the gravity of his "situation". He is headed over to the Applestore today.

BTW, I also recommended he consider driving to the nearest Wally World to get a dirt cheap pre-paid phone and charger for the rest of his travels. Last time I checked neither 911 nor AAA's 1-800 operator really care how cool the phone is you are using to call them.
    i find i can get about 6 days worth of power if i turn on airplane mode.

but with it off... bout 6 hours...