Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 23 ... LastLast
    While I'm a relatively new Pre user, I've been following the community for much longer. Nearly everything is automated now.

Head over to Preware . It has instructions on how to install it. If there is a patch in Preware, it has a high likelihood of being stable. Some rules still apply though, if patches affect the same files they may not play well together.

Also from preware you can enable the beta feeds and install the WebOSInternals' UberKernel which gives you control over the processor speed and contains some other enhancements. Some are clocking their Pres up to 800 mhz with only one or two reports of bricking due to overheating. YMMV There are other kernels too: SuperPreKernel and compcache(experimental)

I can't speak for a GSM version having better battery-life, but I never worry about battery. I have my BT radio turned off (never use it) and I'm regularly withing wifi range so those two things help a lot. Generally the 3G radio is the largest source of heat and battery drain. There's a patch to be able to lower your screen brightness a little more. I'm sure that helps some too.

You did know about the PDK and 3D games right? Sprint Pres still see TMC errors with them, but I understand that Pre+ does much better since it has double the RAM.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    i've noticed that twice this week my battery has gone from 16-18% to 0% instantly with a message about the phone powering off soon. I havent seen the 10% warning for awhile now, it just seems to jump straight to 0% soon after going below 20%
    lswartz33, I have the same problem!

strange...it started with going from 5% to 0,7-0, 9-0, at the moment it goes from 13%-0%. Seems to become worse 2-3% per week.

definitely, the battery is faulty, as the pre turns off 1-2 minutes after goin down to 0%.

I wonder if this is the result of overclocking?
    Quote Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
    suggest that you do the following..
    1. do a webosrepair - Not a full delete. See if there are any files missing.
    2. Then you do a proper shutdown and reboot... I believe some of the services are running and are eating battery power.

Please can you tell me how to do the WOS repair? I have the same problme except mine goes from sometimes 45% to 0% in seconds. This weeks its been going down to 2% but the 40%-0% issues comes and goes.

I have Doctor on my PC but I'm scared to run that in case it wipes teh whole phone.

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by lswartz33 View Post
    i've noticed that twice this week my battery has gone from 16-18% to 0% instantly with a message about the phone powering off soon. I havent seen the 10% warning for awhile now, it just seems to jump straight to 0% soon after going below 20%
    I haven't seen any percentage between 0 and 30 in months. My normal usage means it rarely hits 30% before I recharge it, but any time it does drain to 30%, it instantly drops to 0% and warns me that it'll shut down soon.

It's extremely irritating.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    100% at 6 30 am.. 4% at 1 10 pm...

wifi off
    bluetooth off
    no email account on phone
    even turned off data for a hour
    screen brightness low

I'm getting tired of this ***** does anyone have a clue?
    Are you signed into gtalk/im? Facebook app?
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    357 Global Posts
    I'm having the same issue. I just got my pre plus yesterday and this is not leaving a good first impression.
    depending on what you do with your phone... it could kill your battery by checking for GPS location, an in-line game, etc.

But honestly, you are getting almost 8 hours there. How much of that is actual talk time?

I always suggest that people get the 2600mah battery. If you can't stand the size, then try two of the 1400mah batteries and an external charger.

Tell us more about what you are doing with your phone..... how much talking, etc.
    Global Posts
    357 Global Posts
    no talk time for me. Just a few sms messages and emails and I've already had to charge it 2 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by iJason View Post
    I'm having the same issue. I just got my pre plus yesterday and this is not leaving a good first impression.
    That's the great thing about launching on a new carrier, we get to hear a new wave of the same old age complaints. Hate to break it to you, but it doesn't get much better. Hope you picked up that Touchstone, it's not quite as annoying to have to plug your phone in as soon as you get in the door if you can just plunk it on the touchstone. Also, I've got two standard batteries...plus I keep the 2600 in my bag, too. Just in case...
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM

A couple of thoughts, because we all wish that all smartphones got better battery life.

First, there is a thread in here with a zillion battery saving tips. Definitely use that.

Second, the battery gets better after you've cycled it a few times.

Most importantly, the thing is so fun to mess with, that you will find yourself pounding the internet, loading games, etc and generally killing the battery. I was getting about 5 hours max for the first week - but then I realized I never put it down, and I downloaded dozens of apps, and tons of preware stuff. Now I use the 2600mah battery a lot, and I have stopped using it "quite" so much when I'm sitting right in front of my PC (which is most of the day).

In reality, the Palm battery is about the same as an iPhone or Android, and none of them are very good. If you can't stand the weight, I suggest getting two of the 1400mah batteries that will work with the touchstone back, and carry the external charger to keep the spare full.

But that's after you've read the sticky thread on battery saving tips. It has tons of good info.
    Exactly! I bought another "Palm" battery and an external charger. I use FB Chat (via the FB Chat patch), use twitter and FB apps all the time...and of course I'm overclocking. A second battery is a must!! I usually get 6-8 hrs of battery life a day, so the extra battery comes in handy.
    Global Posts
    357 Global Posts
    so would you suggest I wait a few days and see if the battery improves before going back to verizon?
    this phone is so fun to play with, i think we need to keep the battery life in perspective... also the biggest drain on the battery comes from having a poor signal, and constant switching between 1x and evdo(3g)
    I have found if I sign out of my fb/gmail chat and aim. I get almost double the battery life if not more.
    no talk time for me. Just a few sms messages and emails and I've already had to charge it 2 times.
    Check out the battery saving stuff. Like having wifi sleep when the phone does. Make sure you don't have twitter, FB, etc etc checking for updates, google latitude sitting inthe background, etc etc.

The gps stuff can really suck the battery when you are inside and it keeps searching your ceiling for a satellite lock.

Start here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...life-tips.html
    Global Posts
    357 Global Posts
    I have my facebook notifications set to manually so there should be a drain there. I also close out all my cards when I'm done.
    so would you suggest I wait a few days and see if the battery improves before going back to verizon?
    why would you take it back to verizon... there is nothing wrong with your phone. the battery life will improve some... but this is a smartphone that does a lot of stuff. the battery life will never come close to that of a dumb phone.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    we all wish that all smartphones got better battery life.
    This. Unfortunately we (and by we I refer to the general consortium of Engineers responsible for all the lovely devices used today) have not found a way to keep the quality of battery life on par with the quality of smartphones those batteries power. That said, I have found that my [stock] battery can last all day, especially if I actually use it more like a phone than a tiny computer. I have yet to hear of a smartphone with *amazing* battery life - if you use any phone like a little portable PC it will die within maybe 8 hours for devices with the longest battery life. However if your phone dies within 4 hours even with LCD display off, wifi off, gps off, etc. then you might have an issue. Until I order the Seidio 2600 mAh battery (something I definitely plan to do) I will probably 'haul' my charger (just the USB cable) around with me, seeing as I am by a computer all day anyways.