Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 20 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    With all due respect, turning data off, on a smart phone renders
    it a *dumb phone*. What's the point? Might as well just trade it in
    for a 7-eleven throwaway.

There's a lot of ideas in this thread, some good, some bad but
    I've got a question for anyone else who drops in here.
    Can anyone match my standby battery performance?
    I run
    Data on
    Wifi on (and spend most time in Wifi environments)
    Wifi on when phone sleeps (because Wifi radio is more efficient than EVDO)
    GPS off
    2 *polling* email accounts set at 30 minutes (which contrary to popular myth
    and the recommendations of this thread, uses less battery than "as items arrive")
    Backups on

I can get 60+ hours of standby on the stock battery between charges, with the above settings.
    I've done it several times with 1.3.5 and 1.4 (and now 1.4 + 800Mhz patch).
    Anyone else?

Obviously drain goes up when I'm in poor coverage areas or using
    the phone actively, but that's going to be the same for everyone.
    I think my settings are pretty much optimal, and my results prove that.

ian
    Daemon,

For some people they may not be using data all the time like some of us do who like all of the cloud type features where we are in constant connections with various different data usage related things. So for that group of people who aren't using data all the time turning it on and off is a good idea. As for the battery usage scenario you describe you are one of the more lucky users who get the better end of drain rates. With my 2600 I see about 70 to 100 hours if I leave my pre idle with your scenario and GPS on. With use I get just over on average 50 hours. My worst case scenario with use has been shy of 48 hours. The idle drain rate seems to fluctuate day to day. Some days it will drain at 1% per hour give or take 0.2% other days as much as over 1.5% but not nearing 2%. The same usage on the stock battery for me seen about 15 hours before auto power off since I would not be able to charge it when that would happen due to the nature of my daily routines. Of course that is why I got the extended battery I wanted to not have to worry about how much I used it.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    until they come out with a better and possible the same size batt for the pre,i'll continue using my stock batt. There is no problems draining your batt completely,before recharging. I've been doing it since I got my phone.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I'm not sure which of these did the trick, but I am now getting much better battery life. I ran the WebOS Repair Utility, which repaired several files, and turned on Auto Garbage Collection in JStop. Since 1.4 I had been getting a drain of about 10 - 15 % per hour and now I get around 5%. I also reboot every night using Reboot Scheduler, although I was doing that before.
    If i leave my calendar and text messaging open as cards will this put a drain on the battery?
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Test messaging app might, if you're signed into an IM service like Yahoo, AIM, Google Talk. Sign out when you're not active. Regular messaging shouldn't.
    Calendar shouldn't although it syncs in the background anyway.

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by jc924 View Post
    I'm not sure which of these did the trick, but I am now getting much better battery life. I ran the WebOS Repair Utility, which repaired several files, and turned on Auto Garbage Collection in JStop. Since 1.4 I had been getting a drain of about 10 - 15 % per hour and now I get around 5%. I also reboot every night using Reboot Scheduler, although I was doing that before.
    I supposed depending on what RU repaired it could be a long shot that it had an impact but I would be inclined to think it coincidence. What is this auto garbage collection in Jstop thing you mention? Rebooting may just be coincidence too unless you had issues like frequent memory leaks resulting in too many cards erros alot and taxing the cpu keeping the device warm.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtonk View Post
    This is my favorite line from this whole thread. :-)
    +1
    thank milominderbinder
    Last edited by thanminhtu; 04/07/2010 at 10:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by del420 View Post
    well i stopped trying to figure out ways to make my battery last longer, it just stinks. i did figure out a way to go all day without hitting a wall outlet. I went to sprint and got the travel charger. you charge it up and you good to go. It will charge your phone two or three times before you have to charge it again. you can even hook your touchstone up to it and charge your phone at the same time. also the charger is a bit smaller than the pre. its been making my life a whole lot easier. you can do that or carry around an extra car battery. lol
    What's the name of the travel charger? It is rechargeable right?
    monoprice.com
    you can make your own travel/car charger combos. just make sure they put out 1A per unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    until they come out with a better and possible the same size batt for the pre,i'll continue using my stock batt. There is no problems draining your batt completely,before recharging. I've been doing it since I got my phone.
    Your battery drain will not be different if you drain your battery low often but your battery lifetime will be reduced. The battery in your Pre would prefer to be recharged often to keep the battery lifetime long.
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
    Thanks for the info guys!!!
    I have had my pre for a week now. Battery life was about 8 to 10 hours with light to moderate use. Well today I decided to let it drain completely to where it shut itself off. I have GPS on, email updating every hour. I don't have a great signal in my house. Well 4 hours after a full recharge after draining battery completely, I'm still at 97%. This is with light use. I downloaded a few apps from preware, checked my email and surfed the web a little. Still, a lot better than before.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I believe I need a new battery.

I've tried and applied most of the tricks in this thread, but my battery just won't last more than 8 hours or so with very moderate use.
    Quote Originally Posted by feahr View Post
    I believe I need a new battery.

I've tried and applied most of the tricks in this thread, but my battery just won't last more than 8 hours or so with very moderate use.
    I would definitely look into at least control test comparison with another pre, but if another pre is not an option (ex nobody else you know owns one), trying another battery in yours would be a way to test to make sure it is the battery. 8 hours on the stock battery wouldn't surprise me if the use it is getting matches up with that. Certain things like talk time, watching video, and streaming music are the greatest consumers. 4-5 hrs talk time, a little more than that for video, and music ranking in 3rd. So say you talked for an hour on various calls, watched video for an hour and listened to music say for 3 hours that would be enough to drain down to say less than 20% left being conservative in the estimate.
    Thanks for the information on battery life! I just got my Pre+ and based on the reviews was very concerned about battery life. This thread helped alleviate a few fears and gave me a few tips to try!
    I heard that a startup company called PreNuke has a plutonium powered battery in beta-testing. Should be released to consumers soon.
    Too bad. If we could get FTL first, then we could go into the future, grab a permanently charged quarck powered battery and bring it back here now. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Blipstein View Post
    A bit of an extreme example, no? I'm pretty sure much better battery technology will be around sooner than traveling faster than light
    I never did see a response to the last question posted: How do I turn off data but still have use as a phone? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdoss View Post
    I'm not quite sure, but at work I also had a huge drain on my battery. The battery monitor indicated it was draining at nearly 30% per hour, with no apps open. The only thing I can think of is I was running shoutcast earlier. The only thing that slowed the drain (actually to a halt) was turning on airplane mode. Of course, I don't want to do that. What could cause that? Also, how do you turn off data?