Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 58 of 58
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #41  
    just clean the screen
  2. #42  
    i find turning on and off the screen works.
    lukehale likes this.
  3. #43  
    I wish somebody would come up with a hardware fix for this... I find that removing the touchstone back cover and charging via the USB wall outlet "relieves" some of the phantom taps... but then they would return with a vengeance.

    Maybe something inside the Pre needs realigning or something?
  4. amjz's Avatar
    Posts
    451 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    #44  
    this problem happened to me and it's annoying! Anybody knows how to fix this?
  5. #45  
    I'm currently experiencing these Phantom Touches. I've always used OEM chargers, although I do occasionaly charge via USB Cable plugged into a computer.
    My problem seems to have developed, it started off being a very random amount of touches and would stop for a few days after a restart. I'm now getting these touches almost every time I use the phone. I can no longer charge it via the touchstone as it can unlock it's self and do what the hell it pleases!!
    My question is: Will doctoring my Pre make any difference?! It seems like a hardware problem to me, don't really want to go through a doctoring if I can avoid it.

    I was hoping I'd be able to hold out till the Pre 3 arrives in the UK (if it ever happens) but this issue is stopping me from using my phone!
  6. amjz's Avatar
    Posts
    451 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by richardtank View Post
    I'm currently experiencing these Phantom Touches. I've always used OEM chargers, although I do occasionaly charge via USB Cable plugged into a computer.
    My problem seems to have developed, it started off being a very random amount of touches and would stop for a few days after a restart. I'm now getting these touches almost every time I use the phone. I can no longer charge it via the touchstone as it can unlock it's self and do what the hell it pleases!!
    My question is: Will doctoring my Pre make any difference?! It seems like a hardware problem to me, don't really want to go through a doctoring if I can avoid it.

    I was hoping I'd be able to hold out till the Pre 3 arrives in the UK (if it ever happens) but this issue is stopping me from using my phone!
    take it from me doctoring will not solve this problem, repleacing digitizer will solve this.
  7. #47  
    there is a thread about the issue being voted for being best titled ever

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ng-itself.html

    its definitely a hardware issue and its symptoms and the strength of them may get modified by different chargers, charging and -- when it comes to me -- govnah freq (and therefore voltage).

    its always a (short) improvement to switch the device off an back on.

    i see it as a sign of the pre "aging". the pre develops a certain vulnerability to the effect. my pre minus once developed it heavily but since it kind of stopped again (which does not mean it wont come back, it will) and since warranty is long over i can live with it (or better the probability of it strinking back) until i get my veer.

    doctoring has no effect at all except for the fact that the screen gets recalibrated during bootup.
  8. #48  
    setup an unlock pin to workaround the fact that you cannot trust it on ts
  9. itZmePre's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by gnark View Post
    setup an unlock pin to workaround the fact that you cannot trust it on ts

    Not always a trustable solution... I set a PIN on mine when this started happenning. My phone touched the part that says "emergency call" and then the "call" button and then ended the call. I ended up with 911 operator calling me back. They were understanding and said it happens a LOT with touchscreen phones.

    I got the Sprint repair center to replace mine for their new $35 "repair charge" even though it was a release day phone and way out of warranty.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by itZmePre View Post
    My phone touched the part that says "emergency call" and then the "call" button
    oha true, thanks forgot about that one. i just remember i was kind of entertained when i observed it trying to unlock itself for a couple of minutes when it used to be really crazy, guess i was lucky it missed the sos function...

    anyways phantom touches are not a problem right now since many many weeks for me.
  11. #51  
    I ended up doctoring my phone as per Palm's Support script. They've now given me a number to ring to see about getting it repaired. Hopefully they'll do it for free, otherwise I suppose I'll just live with it until September when I get my upgrade!
  12. itZmePre's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by gnark View Post
    oha true, thanks forgot about that one. i just remember i was kind of entertained when i observed it trying to unlock itself for a couple of minutes when it used to be really crazy, guess i was lucky it missed the sos function...

    anyways phantom touches are not a problem right now since many many weeks for me.

    I did end up eventually installing the patch that removes the "911" from the emergency call so you have to actually hit the digits. That combined with a PIN was my final workaround until I could get it replaced.


    Quote Originally Posted by richardtank View Post
    I ended up doctoring my phone as per Palm's Support script. They've now given me a number to ring to see about getting it repaired. Hopefully they'll do it for free, otherwise I suppose I'll just live with it until September when I get my upgrade!
    They will replace it free. The Palm replacement options are not awesome though. If you ship them your handset at your expense they will ship you a new one "free" within 5-7 business days
    The other option is a $25 fee and they place a hold on your credit card for the full value and then ship a replacement. Then you box up the old one and return it for the refund ($25 fee still applies)

    I was able to express my dislike for these options to Sprint a Rep nicely enough to have them give $25 account credit for the Palm fee (then I decided to just pay the $35 Sprint "repair" fee for refurb replacement)

    Hope that helps
    -- Kevin
  13. #53  
    Well I've just sent my phone off. Only cost 5 special delivery. I'm now on an oldish Nokia... Missing the QWERTY keyboard!!
    I don't think they offer the $25 option in the UK. I'm ok with getting a refurb Pre, it only needs to last to September realistically.
  14. sullyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by stephsieger View Post
    This has been happening to mine for a little over a week. My Pre has "ghost dialed" several people in my contacts list when I am no where near it. I thought at first it was only when on the Touchstone, but then saw it happening while it was sitting out in the open on my desk. You can see the finger press marks on the screen when it starts to go crazy and if it happens to hit an app or a contact it will continue on and place the call or send the message. Not cool to call the president of our company at 10 PM on a Saturday night! (Note: I was asleep at the time and heard the ringing tone as it was dialing him! End call! End Call! End the stupid call!!) I've taken everything out of my quick launch tray and keep the launch pad on the screen with the utilities in it so there is little or nothing it can do to others. I haven't used the USB tether since I first received it 3 weeks ago, so I don't think that's the issue with mine. I am wondering if it is electro-static so will be trying anti-static wipes on it today to see if it helps.
    A year and a half since this was posted. And just as funny now as it was back then, I'm sure; got to laugh to keep from crying. My Pre Plus is doing this same crazy business with the 'phantom touches'; it started last month, on about the same day the warranty ran out. Upon closely inspecting the device, I found a hairline crack running from the USB socket to the edge of the screen. Not sure if that's the cause. My phone has never been dropped. If someone has discovered the reason for this, give me a holler. I'll continue to read this thread (and others like it) until I find something useful. But it sure would be nice if someone would say something other than 'take it back to the store.' I'm curious as to how the whole anti-static wipe worked out for you. Did it it faze the 'taps'?
  15. sullyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by richardtank View Post
    I'm currently experiencing these Phantom Touches. I've always used OEM chargers, although I do occasionaly charge via USB Cable plugged into a computer.
    My problem seems to have developed, it started off being a very random amount of touches and would stop for a few days after a restart. I'm now getting these touches almost every time I use the phone. I can no longer charge it via the touchstone as it can unlock it's self and do what the hell it pleases!!
    My question is: Will doctoring my Pre make any difference?! It seems like a hardware problem to me, don't really want to go through a doctoring if I can avoid it.

    I was hoping I'd be able to hold out till the Pre 3 arrives in the UK (if it ever happens) but this issue is stopping me from using my phone!
    I hear you, brother! I'm in the same boat. 'Two and New' ain't till December ... seven long months to go! Yep, I too had to stop using the touchstone for that same reason ... 'cause it kept dragging the lock upward, and then launching the camera app and doing flash photography all by itself. Initially, I moved some harmless apps to the quick launch tray; I also created an entire page of harmless apps, and I'd make sure I left it on that screen before I'd put it on the charging stone. But I got tired of watching it work itself to death. I've used the Art of Glow app to record the touch patterns. I plan on posting a video to YouTube if I can 'catch it in the act.'
  16. sullyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by itZmePre View Post
    Not always a trustable solution... I set a PIN on mine when this started happenning. My phone touched the part that says "emergency call" and then the "call" button and then ended the call. I ended up with 911 operator calling me back. They were understanding and said it happens a LOT with touchscreen phones.

    I got the Sprint repair center to replace mine for their new $35 "repair charge" even though it was a release day phone and way out of warranty.
    Yeah, I also had that pin-lock idea and encountered the same issue -- I'd, first, cringe, seeing it press the button all by itself, and then fly out of my seat to cancel that 'emergency call'; I sure as he!! didn't want to have explain myself to the 911 operator.
  17. sullyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    #57  
    If I could get my hands on a Pre2 right now, I'd probably be okay with that. December is when I'm 'two and new'; I was going to try to get a Pre3 then. But if it's on AT&T, it's a no-go here. Between now and then, a lot of upgrades would have to be made to improve AT&T's coverage. Verizon has the best talk and data coverage here. However, we have absolutely no 4G on AT&T or Verizon. Surprisingly, the iPhone 3GS runs pretty well on AT&T's 2G Edge, only 8 seconds slower at loading web pages than my Palm Pre Plus on Verizon 3G. If I get really ****ed off about the Pre, I may go iPhone 4 (or 5?) or Galaxy S II or Google Nexus S. And I must include this: I love webOS and I loved my blasted Pre ... until the Touchscreen stopped working right; I didn't even mind that the keyboard's keys would stick and miss a lot.
  18. #58  
    911 calls aren't too cool. But my Pre is trying to buy Amazon mp3's.
    Last edited by BLSpre; 07/23/2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: mistyped
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions