Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I've tried running my pre at 125mhz but it was rather unstable. Since writing the original post I picked up seidio 1400mah batt. While not a huge difference in batt peformance, there is a decent enough gain in batt life to make it see worth while
    can anyone give me any advice? recently my battery life took a turn for the worst after installing uber kernel. battery monitor reports reports that during use i'm using about 20% (sometimes more) per hour when i am on 3G.

For some reason it is a lot less when I am on wifi (about 8% during use) even when I am in areas of good 3G network (i thought wifi drain more power when in areas of good connection?)

my GPS is off, i decreased the frequency of refreshing on my twitter and facebook apps and set email to manual. my phone was even plugged in and it was losing percentage. i'm confused!
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    If battery life is your primary concern, honestly, just get a 'dumbphone' and be done with it. These devices are remarkably capable, and have lots of features in them that are great to use, but they do eat up battery.

That being said, if your phone is dropping 20% per hour, something is seriously wrong.

--Matt
    it is not my primary concern. you're right. the phone has so many capabilites. i rotate to batteries and was happy with that. but with this current turn of events its just crazier than usual. just trying to troubleshoot.
    Try turning off bluetooth when not using might help too!
    Quote Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
    My overnight battery discharge rate is all over the place.

The other night I lost 50%. Most nights average about 15%.

I'm going to try a couple of nights with Airplane Mode ON but with WiFi turned on.
    I bought a touchstone which is right by my bed. I keep my phone on and on the touchstone. When I take it off in the am it is fully charged. I also have a touchstone at work on my desk.

Using the charging cable overnight allows use of the phone but charging also.

I agree with most on this thread that, why should I not use the great features on my Pre to save battery life? I have just figured out how to charge my battery more ofter. Do wish Palm would figure out how to increase battery life without turning off services!
    Thanks for the list I am going to try all of them and see how it goes!
    I really had no terrible battery issues until the last 36 hours. It seems to be draining 2% every 10 minutes right now. It drained from 70% over night, and it was out when I woke up 1 1/2 hours late this morning. I tried playing with wi-fi yesterday, but it won't seem to go on. To me that seemed to be the issue, but I'm not sure. I also downloaded the Sports Live on Saturday night. One of those 2 is the culprit. I suppose, I could delete the app and see how it goes. Kinda sucks though since I paid $5 for it 2 days ago.
    Used the recommended listing options and hopefully will see an increase on my plus. Running the 1.4.5-113 UberKernel at 1Ghz and it's doing great for battery life besides the other background issues such as...

• Location services - Turned off
    • Background data collecting - Turned off
    • Frequent email checking - Set to "As they arrive"
    • Backlight dimmer - Set to 30 seconds
    • Data roaming - Turned off
    • Voice Network - Set to my carrier and not automatic
    • Bluetooth - Turned off
    • Backup - Turned off

These were all turned off/changed (email set to "As they arrive") and hoping to see a great improvement by the end of the day. Hopefully the list I provided as my defaults for my Plus helps others here on the forum.

Thank you for the useful tips guys, I really do appreciate it and will customize my wifes Plus as the same.
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    Reducing the brightness is a great help. I'm at 30%, and it's still plenty bright enough.

Mode Switcher can also work wonders for your battery life (among many other things):

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...you-think.html
    Car charger was the best investment I ever made (precentral store)
    ultimate battery life tip: uberkernel fixed at 1ghz using govnah. when my pre+ is in my pocket and checks email instead of trying to do so at 125mhz or stock 600mhz it does so at 1ghz. the processor is either running at 1ghz or at 0 (full idle). iow: your goal should be for your processor to get back to idle (0mhz) asap. my device runs cooler, longer and faster. it also charges cooler and faster. some pre can't handle 1ghz, you can get some benefit using any fixed speed govnah setting (720, 800). devices and usage patterns vary....
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Good list.
    Thanks for tips this is really useful for me.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I just doctored my phone yesterday, twice, due to poor battery life and have done nothing else to the phone. I am still at appx. 10%/hr. drain doing nothing with the phone except maybe a text. I have GPS, data roaming, messenging turned off. Email is set to as it arrives. I have full EV and appx. 3 -4 bars. Could a bad/old battery be the issue?
    Yes it could. You have 10% drain of what?
    10% out of a new mugen 1400mAh = 140mA drain
    10% out of a old stock palm battery e.g. 800mAh = 80mA drain

To answer that question try Dr.Battery
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Yes it could. You have 10% drain of what?
    10% out of a new mugen 1400mAh = 140mA drain
    10% out of a old stock palm battery e.g. 800mAh = 80mA drain

To answer that question try Dr.Battery
    Thanks...Dr. Battery solved it I believe. 50% battery health Calculated left: 592 mAh from 1183 mAh. Me thinks I need a new battery!
    Quote Originally Posted by sciteach View Post
    Thanks...Dr. Battery solved it I believe. 50% battery health Calculated left: 592 mAh from 1183 mAh. Me thinks I need a new battery!
    Since 49/50% is the lowest possible reading in the chip you may even have less than that.
    You will think you have a new pre with your new battery.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    For GPS I use the patches to automatically turn it on when I load Google Maps and it turns it off when I toss the card. There's one for Sprint Nav too. Can't get any easier than that.
    If I use a different app that requires my location I just load GM first as a trigger then the other app, swipe the cards when I'm done and back to a much better battery life.
    Turning off data when I know I won't be browsing for hours at a time is a huge saver too..
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123