Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    thx
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    My tips were geared toward power users or those who are away from their chargers throughout the day. When I'm at the office my phone stays on the touchstone.
    Ok, I'm confused. Is it that, keeping GPS turned on will drain my battery even if I don't have any applications running? Or will GPS turned on drain my battery more when I actually use one of the location-based applications?

If it's simply a question of draining more battery when using location-based applications, then I suppose there's no harm in leaving GPS turned on, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by corolla90 View Post
    Ok, I'm confused. Is it that, keeping GPS turned on will drain my battery even if I don't have any applications running? Or will GPS turned on drain my battery more when I actually use one of the location-based applications?

If it's simply a question of draining more battery when using location-based applications, then I suppose there's no harm in leaving GPS turned on, right?
    There is a lot of argument around here about this. Many people feel having GPS on only matters with programs that use it.

I disagree, I think having GPS on tries to keep some signal live at all times (how else would it geotag photos as fast as you can open the app and snap pics?)
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Trust me, I sat around my house for countless hours playing around with my pre. Leaving GPS on regardless of your use of location based apps, will drain your battery. Of course following all the steps of my post can take away from the user experience, I'm just trying to help the community cope while Palm remedies battery issues.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    This was the best battery saving move I've made yet...

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...56#post1722956
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Fresh moves lol
    Appreciate the tips OP - thank you.

However - I bought my phone for these features. As the customer I expect them to work, without me having to turn things on and off all day. Plam needs to improve the battery life, or lose customers.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Thanks OP for the info. I've been able to get more life out of my battery and I'm not inconvenienced in any way. With emails set to "manual" it made quite a difference. A full charge will get me through about 24 normal hours of use now.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Awesome tips, thanks! I've had issues with mine dropping juice like non-other so anything that helps with the life of the battery will help, cheers!
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Hello,
    Those are some great tips indeed. It is also great news that a extended life battery has been announced. All the better, it does not require a enlarged cover.
    Cheers,
    JJ
    Good stuff here, awesome thread!

Thanks for the effort
    Yeah, palm needs to fix this. But those of us that had the original iPhone, we remember this problem all too well. They'll fix it with an update. The phone is great and I'm having way better experience than with AT&T (terrible dropped call frequency). I'm glad I'm back to Palm!
  14. jodidiu7
    Quote Originally Posted by eli783 View Post
    1. Turn off Palm Backup.
    Palm Backup is a service that backups your contacts, tasks, calendars and memos over the air, completely free of charge. Even though its a great built-in feature, its one that is energy consuming.
    For those who don't know how to navigate through the menus, follow the steps below.
    1. In launcher go to the "Settings" Page.
    2. Scroll down and click on Backup.
    3. Slide the slider to off.
    Great tips. but when I turn off the Backup it says it will erase my info. ??
    Top two battery saving tips...

(1) Turn off DATA. There's one way to do it that I forget, and then there's a patch that adds it to the drop-down menu. Very slick!

(2) Don't scroll if page up/down is available!! It's not available in the browser until you install the Browser Multi-Mod patch. After you've got that, you can use the spacebar and period buttons for page up/down. ENJOY!

And yea, screen brightness is another biggie, but that was already mentioned.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    good list champ
    i think that its very important to have just one email account !
    The big battery users are:

Data
    Screen

I was overseas for a week at easter and so had data turned off. Battery life was just like any other mobile phone. Off the charger at 8 am and still at 75%+ by 6 pm. Still used for calls and texts. Some video and photos.

Back home, data back on and back to the battery running down after 5 or 6 hours of average usage.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    The Palm profile backup is performed only once a day. IMO, it does not consume energy at all.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    If you are savey enough you can also install a Patch (CPUScaler) to scale the CPU down to 125Mhz when not in use....and set it back to 500mhz when you are using the phone.

This really saves power for me.

Also the Homebrew app "Quick System Tasks" lets you turn on and off GPS and DATA very easily and quickly from the notivication bar at the bottom.

No more hunting through menus to turn it on and off.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast