Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I recently noticed major issues with my battery life. I could take my phone off the charger at 9:30am and periodically make phone calls and receive emails from my aol and exchange accounts. And by 4:30pm, I was getting the familiar bell advising me that my battery was down to 20 percent.

Last night, I decided that I was tired of poor signal quality in my apartment. I would never loose a call but my signal would go from 1 bar to 3 bars, to 5 bars and back to 1 bar all within a 30 second period. I decided that I was going to do the "Roam only" hack making the phone stay on the roam all the time. After about a 10 minute hack, I went to bed last night. Today I woke up took my phone off the charger, made more calls than average as the stock market is going crazy...

Around 4:30 I decided to check my battery and: 54%

How could this be? Well, when in roam only you go from being on 3g to 1x and I suspect this was what caused the difference. I remember when the iphone 3g was first released, if 3g was turned on, your battery was dead in like 4/5 hours but if you turned 3g off it went to around 12. This was later corrected through software updates...

I found this to be a major improvement....

Just my 2 cents...

Best Regards!

Joe
    Sounds good. You might want to be careful with being roam only all the time, as Sprint could cancel your service if you're using the majority of your minutes while roaming.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    I swore I saw another hack that would allow you to set the phone to stay on the 1G network, which might also help.

1G vs 3G aside, if the phone is having a hard time staying on the Sprint network, that will also kill your battery faster, which could be part of the reason why switching to roaming helped you out.
  5.    #5  
    Yes, you can - just dial ##3836# and you can select to be on 1x all the time.
    This is the main issue I think with battery life. Lousy Sprint coverage causing the phone to constantly switch between 1xRTT and EVDO and Roaming mode. Try getting an airave at your house - it should fix the problem there.

I wish the Pre were on VZ or AT&T. Oh well, soon...
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Testing the 1x battery drain now. I'll charge it tonight and see how long it lasts. I'm constantly going back and forth between Evdo and 1x due to the buildings.
  8.    #8  
    My past experience leads me to believe that by switching to 1x, one's battery life will double. This has been the case with other phones in the past....
  9.    #9  
    Of course, it reminds me of when apple sent out a statement saying for optimal battery life on the new iphone 3g (a year ago), one should disable 3g, wifi, bluetooth, and gps. I could not help but think to myself - why did i buy the new iphone if I cannot use all the features... Nevertheless, 3 months later, apple released a software update to correct the issue and I am confident that palm will too...
    Also, you may want to try to get an Airave from Retentions. I hear that helps a lot with poor reception at one's house. Not used it myself.
    hey...great hack! i work in rockville, md & my bars are all over the grid all day. ill give this a try. & give some feed back.
    ohio state SUCKS!! & michigan state will never measure up!
    p.s. lakers SUCK too!! GO PISTONS!!
  12.    #12  
    The hack works great and it is not as complicated as it looks... I guess this is one way of having a Pre on Verizon Wirelesses network, for the 2/3 of price. Just make sure you are on the "Simply everything" plan if you keep your phone on Roaming all the time. If you have a 500 minute plan, sprint will not allow you to use a total of more than 500 minutes roaming (including nights and week end minutes). The work around to this is using the Simply Everything Plan... they dont have this regulation on this plan.
    Your data limit is like 300mb in roaming mode, so be careful.
    Does not help with 3G coverage; you only get 1xRTT on the AIRAVE.

Also, I've been using the 1xRTT hack on the ##EVDO# screen. I have noticed a huge increase in battery life.
    Well since the update my battery life has gone from about 4pm time to put it on the charger at my desk to well its 5:20 pm now and I am still showing 80% and although the newness has made my use a bit less I believe that the connecting to wireless at my office has made the big difference too
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Sounds good. You might want to be careful with being roam only all the time, as Sprint could cancel your service if you're using the majority of your minutes while roaming.
    +2 they will... and they can do it with out notice.
    I'm looking at the screen. Can someone tell me what the differences are between 1xRtt, EVDO, Hybrid and the Rev 0 ? I would love to know to see what works best for me.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RLovelett View Post
    Does not help with 3G coverage; you only get 1xRTT on the AIRAVE.

Also, I've been using the 1xRTT hack on the ##EVDO# screen. I have noticed a huge increase in battery life.
    how is this done?
    Type the code in the phone app and then select from drop down.
    Very cool! I may have to try it out!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast