Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ON PC THAT WILL BE ACTING AS SERVER
    1. Download Orb here. (works with Vista or XP)
    2. Once you've downloaded Orb to your home PC, go to mycast.orb.com and setup up a free account. Now you can install it on your PC.
    3. Once installed Orb Automatically uses 4 default Windows folders which looks for content in, you can add/remove these locations in the configuration:
    [Video]
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Videos
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\Documents\My Videos
    [Photo]
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\Documents\My Pictures
    [Music]
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\Documents\My Music
    [Documents]
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\My Documents
    4. There will be Orb icon in your Systray, right click on it and click on "Configuration" should look like this.
    5. Go to "Advanced" tab and make sure the "Add-ons" section has at least everything checked except for "Contacts" unless you want that. And Windows & Real/3GP Ports are on 80 & 554 respectively Should look like this.
    6. It's important that you make sure your router/firewall is forwarding ports 80 and 554 (TCP) to your server.

ON PALM PRE
    1. Open web browser and go to mycast.orb.com to Login like this.
    2. Go to the bottom where it says "Settings" and click on it, should look like this.
    3. Should take you to Speed Settings which you should change to "Use fixed speed" I set mine to 156 KB/s. Click "Save" like this.
    4. At the top click "Stream" and select "3GP-AAC/RTSP fromat (.3gp)" no other setting will work currently. Click "Save" like this.
    5. At the top click "Layout" and select "Home Theater" and click "Save" like this.
    6. It should now look like this and isn't that much better?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I used to be able to stream live TV on my WM phone. Are you able to stream live TV on the Pre? I followed your instructions and still not able to do it.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by fireone23 View Post
    I used to be able to stream live TV on my WM phone. Are you able to stream live TV on the Pre? I followed your instructions and still not able to do it.
    I dont have a TV card so I wouldn't know but what error message are you getting?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    It works but I still wish there was a way to skip to a specific spot in a video. Without that ability it is pretty useless to try to watch a movie or any video longer than a couple minutes on the go because you can't pick up where you left off. For music streaming it's ok except that you still can't minimize the card and switch to another app and keep the stream going. My WinMo devices were able to do this.

I'll probably just use Pandora or locally stored MP3s for listening to music on the Pre until we get an Orb app that works better than the streaming does.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by erod550 View Post
    It works but I still wish there was a way to skip to a specific spot in a video. Without that ability it is pretty useless to try to watch a movie or any video longer than a couple minutes on the go because you can't pick up where you left off. For music streaming it's ok except that you still can't minimize the card and switch to another app and keep the stream going. My WinMo devices were able to do this.

I'll probably just use Pandora or locally stored MP3s for listening to music on the Pre until we get an Orb app that works better than the streaming does.
    Yeah I believe that's why there trying to come up with a Pre specific app. But considering it's free and gives you access to all your Audio, Video, TV & Streaming Channels, Documents and Contacts I really can't complain too much. The app will just make it better.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    How safe is this "Orb"? Went to the site and I have some security concerns, such as opening a port on the firewall to allow access.
    ˙soə ɹoɟ ƃuıʇıɐʍ ɹəllıʞ "ʇɔuıʇsuı" uɐ ʇuɐʍ ʇsnɾ ı ˙ɹəllıʞ "əuoɥdı" uɐ əq oʇ "ēɹd" ɹoɟ ƃuıʞool ʇou
    Thank you so much. I had tried to use Orb, but wasn't able to on my Pre. This opens up a lot of possibilities for me.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Posted at "06/25/2009, 01:57 AM"

Thank god for Mt Dew and Cheetos.

nice work write up.
    I will have to try that at home. Recently I upgraded my main desktop/media center PC to Win7 RC1 and never got around to reinstalling Orb since it was no-go when I switched from my Touch Pro. I'll have to remote in later or wait until I get home and install it.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Thanks for the write up. I especially like the home theater display mode.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Thanks I rarely leave my pc on but this is an added option for me while im at work so I can watch movies! since there is no flash for hulu support yet! *wishing he left his pc on today*
    I have used Orb with my Mogul phone (winmo 6.1) and it worked great. I had it streaming to the windows media player app.

Orb is a very reliable piece of software that can magically hook you up with all of your media from an always on computer. It really does a terrific job of allowing you to access your media.

the best part is, it will stream media of all differents codec types. All of my avi movies are ripped in divx and xvid and it streams them like they were made for this program.

If you are worried about it being reliable, have no fear. You can trust orb.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Thanks for the help.
    I have a dumb question. Can Orb stream MKV and/or XviD files in a format viewable by the Pre?
    Lovely!

Now if only it used the music player instead of the video player...it plays the music through the video player, which means you can't run it in the background.
    Orb can stream ANYTHING your computer can view.

If your computer can view it, ORB can view it. Put it this way; If Windows Media Player can open the file and play it. Orb can play it.
    Amazing. Not the most pretty way to watch a movie, but free is free. If I squint, it almost looks good. Thanks!
    Thanks for the info.. I need to stream the web cam wich is was working with my Touch pro but no Luck with the Pre Any work around ?
    thanks
    So my pre recognizes the content and it views the pictures but if I click on a song or video and after a delay it gives me an error "there was an error playing the file" The ports are set correctly, if they weren't would I not see the media? But I do see my media on my computer, any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by iamfrontosa View Post
    So my pre recognizes the content and it views the pictures but if I click on a song or video and after a delay it gives me an error "there was an error playing the file" The ports are set correctly, if they weren't would I not see the media? But I do see my media on my computer, any ideas?
    You skipped a step, as did I.

4. At the top click "Stream" and select "3GP-AAC/RTSP fromat (.3gp)" no other setting will work currently. Click "Save" like this.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast