Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I posted this deep in another thread, but I figured it may help more people if it was in the troubleshooting forum. As a former serial Pre brickmaker, I think I've gotten a sure fire way to get the webOS Doctor working if it hadn't worked for you previously:

1. Pull the battery from your phone, then replace it. Do not turn it on.
    2. While holding the Volume Up button, plug the phone into a wall charger. You should get a big USB symbol on the screen.
    3. Reboot your PC. Do not connect the phone yet.
    4. Run the webOS Doctor program. Click Ok/Next until you get to the part where it wants you to connect the phone.
    5. Connect the phone. It may take a few minutes for the Next button to become active if it is the first time you are doing this as the drivers have to load.
    6. It'll take about 20-30 minutes to complete.

It worked for one person, hopefully it will help others...
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I had the same need, to run a HARD reset after a crash that got stuck on the "PALM" flashing screen. A little more detail on the setup.

1. Pull the battery. Plug into power supply and push the volume up button.
    2. A qustion mark will show up (?).
    3. While holding the volume up button, insert the battery. NOW the USB symbol will show and the WEBos Doctor program will find the phone, and re-install the system files and clear all EPROM memory.
    Thanks!
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    This method still isn't working for me. I suspect it may be due to me using Windows 7 64-bit. I will have to wait until later this afternoon to try out XP.

EDIT: I also noticed that windows 7 64-bit does not find a driver to install.
    Last edited by cleanser; 06/22/2009 at 11:26 AM.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanser View Post
    This method still isn't working for me. I suspect it may be due to me using Windows 7 64-bit. I will have to wait until later this afternoon to try out XP.

EDIT: I also noticed that windows 7 64-bit does not find a driver to install.
    Good to know. I know it worked on an XP and a Vista 32-bit machine. I haven't messed with Windows 7 yet, so I'm curious, does it show up as an unknown device? Just wondering if a driver could be found and if it'd work then...
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Ok I have mised alot here , what is OSweb doctor?
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I found some drivers in the palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre_p100eww/webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar WebOS image. (copy n paste, my post count is too low)

I was not able to attach them do to file size so just download the entire image and extract it with something like WinRAR. You can find the installers for the drivers in the folder /resources/NovacomInstaller_x64.msi , there are x86 and x64 versions there.

I installed the 64bit version and it was recognized and shows up in device manager, but the next button remains greyed out.

EDIT: The device shows up as Palm Novacom (bootie) in device manager...
    Last edited by cleanser; 06/22/2009 at 01:46 PM.
    Both 64bit and win7 are unsupported by novacom. I believe the x64 version is incomplete/non-fuctional in some area when compared to x86
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    @rcleapor: webOS Doctor is an official Palm program that will do a hard reset on your Pre. The Palm link is http://www.palm.com/ROM. Remember it is a hard reset, so you'll lose everything. Back up if you can.

@cleanser: did you try restarting the PC? I know that it wouldn't work for me if I had run webOS Doctor once before (whether it worked or not) and tried running it a second time. If you haven't, just make sure to disconnect the phone from the PC before doing the restart and waiting until you get to the grey Next before connecting it. I'm sure Jason is right about the unsupported part, but my curiosity/need to see it work is getting the best of me...
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Yes I followed your exact steps after the driver was installed. I rebooted, ran the webos doctor waited until it told me to plug in the device and i plugged it in with the giant USB image on the screen and it was a No-Go.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I can confirm your method works perfectly within XP 32bit. Flawless too..
    Here's another thing: If the doctor is dying early on in the process, (before 15%) It's likely your Java Runtime version is too old!

Go to http://www.java.com/ and download the latest JRE. It will fix the problem!

If you get to at least 65%, even if it dies, the phone will work properly once you reboot.

The remaining 35% is all checksumming operations. Just pull the cable, reset the phone, and it should boot. The typical reason for failing past 65% is bad MD5 sums from modification of rootfs without updating the MD5's. (they are in 2 places!)
    Before I started all of this I went to (Java.com link) and downloaded the latest JRE update 14 iirc. My flash still fails at 14%. Anyone have any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by cpuguy06 View Post
    Before I started all of this I went to (Java.com link) and downloaded the latest JRE update 14 iirc. My flash still fails at 14%. Anyone have any ideas?
    My replacement phone (first one went swimming with me) crashed after a failed profile download and I get stuck at the same 14% on the reflash. I took it to a sprint store and they said it'd have to be replaced.
    just tried in win 7 32bit with no go. got to the "next" screen, button never became clickable. drivers did install, but for some reasonit always failed on one driver even before the palm locked up on me.

Oh well, back to the sprint store i go.

p.s. also it seems the program is stuck in vista comapatability mode. check bock is greyed out
    Does this completely restore the phone to factory defaults? Remove any rooting, ssh, mods to existing .jsjsjs $files$, $etc$.?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I did a remote wipe just before i took it to the sprint store to get an exchange (which those *******s didn't do) because of my cracked screen, and it turned off my phone after i sent it, i wasnt thinking and like 15 minutes later i went to check my phone and it was off and pulled the battery. Well now I've tried webOS doctor on 2 vista and 2 xp pro machines, all 32 bit machines. Nothing works right. Java is up to date, and i followed both directions posted above and no luck.

Anybody know what else can be done?
    so returned phone, got another one, but this tiem i got it to work with win 7

I followed the information in the dev wiki to get novacom to work. well kinda. anyway i got novacom to recognize my device, sshed to it, rooted it all is well. Made a mistake in vi to where my launcher would not come back up. So its time to try web doctor again. This time i am at least making it to where the "next" button is updated. however pre would not be recognized by the pc as a usb drive or anything else. even though the phone works fine...minus no app launcher

I will post late if it made it any further

UPDATE: went though its procedure and no dice. phone is still the same. oh well.
    Last edited by scoobdude; 07/10/2009 at 02:07 AM.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Got it working on windows 7 64 bit! Now that i spent 3 days on it and my replacement phone is right next to me, i got it to work lol. Vista 32 and Xp 32 would not work for some reason.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    thanks man! I was getting worried... I have to return this one and I may have modified it a little It works awesome!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast