View Poll Results: Did This Tutorial Help You?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!!!

32 28.07%
  • No...

59 51.75%
  • Other (please post and explain)

23 20.18%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I tried electrical tape for mine, but it didn't last long. It just lost its connection to the surface.
    I had a Best skins Ever left over that I didn't use on my old device. I cut some of that material off doubled it up and stuck it on the underside of the lcd half of the phone. My Pre doesnt' wobble anymore. The top half is definitely catching on the guides.
    Up until yesterday I've not had an issue with twisting. There was very slight give side to side less than 1 degree and very little gap maybe 1mm or less. I was transferring files over to it, pre was sitting on the keyboard tray of the desk (maybe 3 feet from the carpeted floor). Somehow it fell off and now it twists 3 to 5 degrees to the right when looking at the screen side. No change in the opposite direction from how it was when I 1st got it. The most noticeable thing is the gap between the screen half and the battery half. It is now loose and gives to 3mm or 4mm wide. Where as before it was tight and had only about 1mm give. The screws mentioned in this guide are so tight that they can neither be tightened or loosened. Looking at the slider bar you can see on the right slider the little think that moves along the bar moves up 3 or 4 mm along with the twist. Any solution for me in this case? Or am I screwed and now have to live with it or can it be repaired (I have insurance) at a sprint store that has technicians. I know on my blackberry they replaced parts for free because i had the insurance. I'd consider a free replacement under warranty as it must have been very slightly defective to have such a severe result of such a short fall to a soft surface. However I'd like to look for alternatives to replacement since as of right now there is no backup solution that backs up everything so I will lost practically everything on the device outside of contacts and calendars.
    For the sake of all of us, can someone please take a photo of what screws to tighten. We all have this phone that is so advanced and we cant get some pics up here?? I was also wondering if anyone has tried using locktite on these screws? That would definetly stop them from ever loosening up, that is if the untightened screw is the problem for the wobble.. Thanks. Also, which way does your guys' pre rotate? Mine goes to the right if im looking at the screen. It twists, then a click and twists some more. The twist is perfectly fine but then the click probably more than doubles the degree of it.
    Last edited by jjlanotte; 07/09/2009 at 09:20 AM.
  5.    #65  
    There is. If you downloaded the tutorial you would see that there is a pic. You tighten the four screws on each corner. There are two others in the lower middle that are used to keep the main CPU on. Don't tighten those. Before doing this make sure you have read through the tutorial once or twice.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Are you sure it's a T6? It doesn't seem to fit and turn the screw very well.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    It's a T5....positive on this fact. I had to go to Sears to buy one because the smallest I had was a T6.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    The guide is great and all but why not just get a replacement?? My phone has no "gap" at all and no wobble...
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by niospecv View Post
    For some going through the process and re-setting their phones is a hassle especially when it's just a minor issue like a small Oreo effect slider. If one can tighten it up a bit to minimize the issue they'll do it.
    Um after a full reset and after signing back into my palm account 5 mins later my phone was just like it was after the reset. That's not a valid reason with this phone..

That's like me selling you a car that smells like **** on the inside... Instead of asking my to fix it issue or give you your money back you just roll the windows down...
    Last edited by helidos; 07/15/2009 at 12:21 PM.
  10.    #70  
    I have never said to use a T6 or a T5. Just follow the tutorial and don't lessen to those who say T6.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    great tutorial....and wow, i've read so much about the slider probs, but yours has to be the worst by far....

mine is no where near this (your before) shape....just a little bit of wiggle if i intentionally try to move it and there are no gaps...

i think i'm going to try the screw tighten alone for now and see how it goes.... but defin saving this pdf should i run into a problem in the future...

thanks!!!
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
  12. KAM1138
    Hello Everyone,

Well, I didn't hold out much hope, but I tried tightening the screws, and there was absolutely no positive effect. I admit I'm grasping at straws, and don't see how those screws affect the sliding in the first place, but I gave it a shot. I can only speak for my phone, but this did nothing whatsoever. I didn't try any glue.

Upshot is that I've got a nice set of small Torx Screwdrivers now.

KAM
  13.    #73  
    Your very welcome!
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    thx
    My Pre was very solid until a small drop of about a foot onto a table top. Appeared to do no damage at all, except now there is slight gap on the left side with some creaking (the volume control area is the worst) which is not huge, but definitely different than the right side, which has no creaking or movement at all. If I tighten only the screws on that side, will this fix the problem? At first glance, I don't see how it could, because it appears the gap is due to space below the screen half of the phone; since it slides (and the gap disappears when it is open), the screws on the bottom half of the phone don't appear to be related to this gap. Or am I missing something? Anyone have a problem that is closer to what I describe? I can live with it for sure, I just hate the fact that it was fine and I dropped it so minimally.
  16.    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    My Pre was very solid until a small drop of about a foot onto a table top. Appeared to do no damage at all, except now there is slight gap on the left side with some creaking (the volume control area is the worst) which is not huge, but definitely different than the right side, which has no creaking or movement at all. If I tighten only the screws on that side, will this fix the problem? At first glance, I don't see how it could, because it appears the gap is due to space below the screen half of the phone; since it slides (and the gap disappears when it is open), the screws on the bottom half of the phone don't appear to be related to this gap. Or am I missing something? Anyone have a problem that is closer to what I describe? I can live with it for sure, I just hate the fact that it was fine and I dropped it so minimally.
    The screws won't help that much in your case. They tighten the back to lessen the twist by a fraction. Also if you only tighten 2 then it might make it worse because the whole porpuse of doing it is to bring the whole back down equally.
    Now if you want to get rid of the gap and all of the twist then just add the tinyest dropt of hot glue on the sides. Hot glue won't damage the phone, leave any marks, and it will stay on if you apply it right but will be easy to take off. To show you how it would work tap down the top of the phone so the is no gap on the top. Now try twisting it, hardley does. Now let go and try, lot more twist. So if you lever up the back just a tinny bit it will make the gap/twist inivisable.
    Now when you apply the hot glue it may take a few times to get it right. It should be right on the line were the outer and inner part meet. It shouldn't go out to far or in. If you do get it right you won't notice it allot. If you have questions just ask!
    I really don't have any twist. Just a gap, and a creaking when I press down on the left side of the screen/top. I was in a Sprint store the other day and the floor model actually had the same gap I have on one side, but on both sides. I'm not sure it's a problem, but it's certainly different than it was before I dropped it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preman View Post
    Another easier way is just to cut (depending on your wobble) 4-5 of those small mail labels or black tape. Cut them 1/4 wide (top of pre to bottom) and 1/2 side to side. Put one on top of the other and than:

Open you pre keyboard
    Slide the labels/tape on the BOTTOM end of the SCREEN centered to the middle button
    Push the labels in gently with a credit card (I used my old att sim "card") until the lables to not show.
    Now press down gently on the bottom of the screen so the lables/tape will stick to the bottom of the screen.
    Now close the keyboard and it should NOT wobble.

If it does you will need to add 1-2 more lables. Do this an it WILL WORK, and it's not hard at all. I would also tighten the screws on back WITHOUT taking the sticker on the top right of the back of the pre. With the lables you no longer need to remove that sticker.

And if you ever need to take it for repairs just remove the lables or tape and your done.

TRY IT, TRY IT, IT WORKS!
    I need to get a 1.5mm torx driver tomorrow for the screws, but I went ahead and used some electrical tape based on your suggestion. Used a single piece on the lower center of the bottom of the screen. Made a big difference in my side to side wobble. Thanks much for the suggestion!!!
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I'm just getting a replacement.. for $200..... you can expect to get a phone that doesn't require a MacGruber fix.....
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    So I just got Pre #3. The first one's mic/speakerphone died, and the second one I managed to return as the wiggle was too much and just getting worse. So #3 arrives, and it's wiggle is just as bad. Well after reading through here I decided to try the electrical tape squares underneath the screen. and Lo' and behold!! They work like a charm. Of course as I was setting the tape squares, I discovered that the keyboard on this one is all warped... so looks like I might be going for #4 here soon.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast