View Poll Results: Did This Tutorial Help You?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!!!

32 28.07%
  • No...

59 51.75%
  • Other (please post and explain)

23 20.18%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    mine snapped as well my two left side corners. see my other post on how i fixed it with super glue and it seemed to help. Its a t6 torx actually and not a t5. I am going to exchange it as soon as they get a new one in, i had a really bad gap which is now gone but very wabbly screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Just take a small pin and gently remove the sticker (without damaging it). Then after you can place it back and it will never look like you did. This is not really voiding your warranty.
    Do you work for Sprint or Palm? Can you list your name for a reference in case someone manages to damage a sticker they can say "so and so assured us it's not really voiding our warranty."

Sorry, but I don't agree with your interpretation.
  3.    #43  
    No, I am not from Sprint or Palm. However, the whole reason why they put the sticker there is to see if you opened the device. Wether if they know that you took it off or not, you still are not doing what they don't want you to do. If I so happen to have to take my Pre in for an estrange and they asked me if I opened the device , I will clearly tell them exactly what I did. That is tighten the screws. Most likely, I would be able to still get a replacement because I didn't cause the defect and I didn't do what they don't want me to do. However, it is very unlikely that they will care to check but I will still take full responsibility for what I did.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeitz View Post
    mine snapped as well my two left side corners. see my other post on how i fixed it with super glue and it seemed to help. Its a t6 torx actually and not a t5. I am going to exchange it as soon as they get a new one in, i had a really bad gap which is now gone but very wobbly screen.
    To fix the rest of the wobble you have to add two little dots of hot glue (hot glue won't leave marks if you take it off). If you need a pic of how the dots are look at my After video. This will add leverage, as described in the tutorial.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Dear lord, I thought my tiny little wobble was a prob ... watched the video ... I think Im just gonna keep my otherwise perfect phone and let you guys with the real problems get the new ones
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    The screws solution is nice, but I refuse to add the hot glue to the side of the phone. Looks so phony (no pun intended).
    You know, this really is a great community.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I'll just to the screws to stiffen it up just a little. I refuse to add the glue though. Good write up though.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    You know, this really is a great community.
    x2 - agreed.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    The screw tightening lessens the twist. If you tap on the top or bottom and it moves up and down, I would suggest doing the hot glue.
    By twist here, are you referring to the Oreo twisting issue?
    but why? They are under warranty. Take it back and get a new one. lol
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I actually took the sticker off and put it back on with a pin. I had to return the phone anyways because of light bleeding through. I fixed the slider issue, but I think putting too much downward pressure on the screen caused light to bleed through the edges. I pretty much stripped the screws too... it was a major hack job. I am surprised they took it back. haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellie View Post
    but why? They are under warranty. Take it back and get a new one. lol
    For some going through the process and re-setting their phones is a hassle especially when it's just a minor issue like a small Oreo effect slider. If one can tighten it up a bit to minimize the issue they'll do it.

Does anyone know where to get a T6 torx screwdriver for cheap? I went to walmart but they didn't have any. Sears? I know eBay has some but I rather get it locally.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by niospecv View Post
    Does anyone know where to get a T6 torx screwdriver for cheap? I went to walmart but they didn't have any. Sears? I know eBay has some but I rather get it locally.
    Try Home Depot. They sell a Husky brand set that has several Torx tips for $6.

Be careful, though. I tried to tighten one of the screws yesterday and broke it. I mistakenly used a T5 instead of a T6 though. (The Husky kit has T4 through T10.)
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by rrob13 View Post
    Be careful, though. I tried to tighten one of the screws yesterday and broke it.
    That's really strange. I've read several posts where people are breaking their screws. I remember reading one post where someone took their Pre to the store and the store rep broke the screws.

What are these screws made out of, plastic? What are the screws being screwed into, a plastic case? How could a metal screw break off if it's being screwed into a plastic case?

Usually a metal screw will strip out the plastic case instead of breaking. I'm not about to disassemble my Pre to find out, I just think it's strange to hear of all these screws breaking. If they were plastic screws, I could understand it.
    They are metal screws and they are being screwed into a metal frame. The Pre is suprisngly built with strong materials. There is a metal frame between the two plastic halves. This frame is what you are screwing into. Once it's finger tight STOP. Remember these screws are really thin and with a torx head it's easy to get enough torque on them to snap them.

The top half is what's too loose that's causing the oreo twist. If you look in between the two halves you will see a guide in the upper left corner of the phone that is what's supposed to prevent the oreo twist. The problem is that the bottom half is tighter on alot of these than the top half so your top half isn't hitting the guide. This is why the leverage works. I am trying to figure out a solution that isn't visible at all from the outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    They are metal screws and they are being screwed into a metal frame.
    Well then snapping off the screw heads means they are either being overtorqued or they were cross threaded on install, or made of weak metal.
    @niospecv I just went to the local Sears. Stood right there and tightened the screws =)
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jauderho View Post
    @niospecv I just went to the local Sears. Stood right there and tightened the screws =)
    did the tightening of the screws really make a differance.I just went to walmart and opened 3 pre's all kinda loose like mine,one was worse. I am still prone to believe they are supposed to be a little loose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Well then snapping off the screw heads means they are either being overtorqued or they were cross threaded on install, or made of weak metal.
    I'd go with overtorqued or weak metal, but they are thin, so I dont' see how it wouldn't be easy to overtorque them.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast