View Poll Results: Did This Tutorial Help You?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!!!

32 28.07%
  • No...

59 51.75%
  • Other (please post and explain)

23 20.18%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Nah, it doesn't move at all when I push down on the top or bottom, and there is basically not gap at all. Mine has the twist/wobble issue only. I am going to try re-tightening the screws and see if that help. I just need to find a Torque T6...

Also, did you remove the sticker for that top right screw first? How did you go about doing it? I'd like to avoid voiding my warranty during this process if possible.
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    You may want to consider converting that .doc into a PDF... That document was like 3 pages long, and it was 16mb... To save people the trouble, I went ahead and converted it to a 141kb PDF...

(Original document courtesy of Rennat)

http://www.mitalis.com/Palm-Pre-Final-Fix.pdf
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Wow! No wonder why people are complaining about their sliders. My gap is flush, tho I do have the same twist looseness shown in the video. I was thinking about getting a replacement, but I see that I've got nothing to worry about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preman View Post
    There is a way to do this fix without labels or tape. But it requieres bending the bottom of the screen upwards.
    Considering that there are Pre screens cracking "on their own" without anybody knowing why, this suggestion makes me cringe.

How many brave souls are going to bend the bottom of their screen upwards? Please post before and after pics.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dookie View Post
    Nah, it doesn't move at all when I push down on the top or bottom, and there is basically not gap at all. Mine has the twist/wobble issue only. I am going to try re-tightening the screws and see if that help. I just need to find a Torque T6...

Also, did you remove the sticker for that top right screw first? How did you go about doing it? I'd like to avoid voiding my warranty during this process if possible.
    That should work fine for you. Make sure you tighten the screw very slowly and evenly (make sure they are tight also. This is why you are doing the whole procedure. You don't have to use a t6 torque. I just used a regular flat screwdriver (forgot what size says in tutorial). Infact, it may be better because it won't strip the whole screw if you try too hard.
    As to the 'void your warranty' goes they don't want you to open it. However, just make sure you preserve the sticker so you can put it back on afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitalis View Post
    You may want to consider converting that .doc into a PDF... That document was like 3 pages long, and it was 16mb... To save people the trouble, I went ahead and converted it to a 141kb PDF...

(Original document courtesy of Rennat)

http://www.mitalis.com/Palm-Pre-Final-Fix.pdf
    Thanks ALLOT! I was really busy at the time and wasn't able to make a PDF. This will make it allot easier for others. (Updated first post download)
    Last edited by Rennat; 06/22/2009 at 08:53 PM.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    Considering that there are Pre screens cracking "on their own" without anybody knowing why, this suggestion makes me cringe.

How many brave souls are going to bend the bottom of their screen upwards? Please post before and after pics.
    Please don't listen to him. Bending you screen WILL ruin your phone. He may have been talking about pushing it up like the glue does, not bending it up.
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    hi i was reading your thread on your fix for the wobble. currently my pre does not have any gap but the top screen rotates maybe like 1 or 2 degrees counter cloockwise from the bottom. do you know of any fix?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunky424 View Post
    hi i was reading your thread on your fix for the wobble. currently my pre does not have any gap but the top screen rotates maybe like 1 or 2 degrees counter cloockwise from the bottom. do you know of any fix?
    I never really noticed an issue with mine. Mine wobbles a little if I twist it like an oreo and there is a slight gap on the right side that's a little larger than the left side but I'm not worrying about it.

I'd rather have a little play in mine to give it some "breathing room" which may help to prevent the screen from cracking. When you start tightening things up you may be adding stress to certain points which could cause problems.

I don't know if they use torque drivers in the assembly process or not but as long as my phone isn't falling apart, I'm not going to mess with it.
  9.    #29  
    Yes, Big Dookie (above) has the same problem as you. If you tighten the screws it will lessen the twisting effect. You can use ether a troque T6 screw diver or a regular flat 1.5 mm screwdiver. Any questions about warranty? Just read 3 posts above.
    - John Wayne
    Do you know where i can find a new screw.. i snapped one of mine when i was tightening it and i didnt feel like this method was helpful
  11.    #31  
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wooww! Man! You must have been tightening it waaaaay too much! I said not to tighten it to much! How had were you trying? Were you using the right screwdiver? This should NEVER happen to these screws unless you were REALLY trying hard to...

Thankfully, I am pretty sure that Home Depot should have some. Take one down with you and try to match it. Not sure what size it is.

I still can't believe you...
    - John Wayne
  12.    #32  
    Oh, could you take pictures and post them here? I would really like to see what you were doing...
    You don't have more than 10 posts (you can't post links or pics) so just write the URLs like this: www[dot]precentral[dot]com....
    - John Wayne
    i wasn't trying that hard really, i used the t5 bit.. im getting fed up with this hardware
    Quote Originally Posted by jjlucsy View Post
    Wow! No wonder why people are complaining about their sliders. My gap is flush, tho I do have the same twist looseness shown in the video. I was thinking about getting a replacement, but I see that I've got nothing to worry about.
    I was wondering about this too. Mine looks nothing like what was shown in the 1st video.

This makes me wonder if the factory that Palm contracted to build these things was putting them together wrong for the 1st batch or two.
    That before video is disturbing. I'm glad mine is not like that. Mine looks like it has even less gap than Rennat's after video as well.
    might have to try this...mine seems to be near falling apart at times...
    just watched the video though...if you dont mind the hot glue dots, seems to work great! good work!
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Really don't like any of these suggestions, and I'm not willing to remove that sticker. I've already had to return the phone once, so I don't want to have to take a chance to have to return it again. Loosening and tightening at least three of those screws doesn't help me...
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdawg62184 View Post
    might have to try this...mine seems to be near falling apart at times...
    If it does I would suggest doing it now...

Quote Originally Posted by cdawg62184 View Post
    just watched the video though...if you dont mind the hot glue dots, seems to work great! good work!
    It took me a few tries (I use hot glue because you can easily take it off) and once I got it right, you can hardly see them when it's closed. I also forget that they are there allot and overall, the phone's hardware seems to be 10 times as better.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrymm View Post
    Really don't like any of these suggestions, and I'm not willing to remove that sticker. I've already had to return the phone once, so I don't want to have to take a chance to have to return it again. Loosening and tightening at least three of those screws doesn't help me...
    By tightening only 3 that basically ruins the whole purpose. That is exactly what the factory did to make it loose. The whole purpose of doing this is not to tighten them, but to EVENLY tighten them. Infact, it possible that now (by tightening only 3 screws) your phone is worse. Just take a small pin and gently remove the sticker (without damaging it). Then after you can place it back and it will never look like you did. This is not really voiding your warranty. They put the sticker there to make sure you don't open the device. Sense we did not open the device, we are not (technically) voiding our warranty.
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    By tightening only 3 that basically ruins the whole purpose. That is exactly what the factory did to make it loose. The whole purpose of doing this is not to tighten them, but to EVENLY tighten them. Infact, it possible that now (by tightening only 3 screws) your phone is worse. Just take a small pin and gently remove the sticker (without damaging it). Then after you can place it back and it will never look like you did. This is not really voiding your warranty. They put the sticker there to make sure you don't open the device. Sense we did not open the device, we are not (technically) voiding our warranty.
    Actually only tightening those three helped a LOT. mine had some massive side to side movement, and now it's barely a wiggle. Still not touching that sticker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast