Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Here's a good one ; the BN Pre (1st night) battery went dead, put it on charge, it wouldn't charge, took battery out & it looked like the battery gained 5 lbs on ea side of it.
    It looks like the battery was getting ready to explode. The Pre Battery,
    heard about this but never saw this before, it's now one more experience in my life.
    What is a "the BN Pre"?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    BN=Brand New
    BNIB=Brand New In Box
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info
    Hi,

two things to add here:

1. When I received my Pre I noticed that the battery resembled the Centro batteries a lot, indeed were identical in shape and size.
    But, as the Pre's fashionably black battery didn't give any technical data whatsoever, I didn't dare do anything about it.
    Then I bought a spare battery via Boxwave's "Pre" web page. When it arrived, it did have its specifications printed on the battery (Boxwave's store: "specifically designed for your Palm Pre"), which were identical to those on one of my Centro batteries... which at second glance is no surprise: The battery also sports the line "Regulatory Model Number: Palm Centro"!

I took a closer look at the photo on ...
    Pre Replacement Battery / Palm Pre Replacement Battery - Standard Capacity
    ...and while I can't actually read anything, there is clearly the same line there, and not "Palm Pre", so I wasn't sent the wrong battery by mistake!

2. There appears to be ONE difference, which is not, however, in the batteries but in some strange way in the devices - I think.
    Maybe someone can solve this mystery for me?

I go trekking a lot - no mains power supply; so, for all my Palms since the Tungsten T, I used a portable charger with four rechargeable AA cells; for the Pre this didn't work; so, fearing that it had in some way broken down I connected it to the Centro - no problem.
    During a long weekend out, instead of the charger and a number of AA cells I took my five Centro/Pre cells with me and used them all in the Pre; now neither the Pre nor the Centro respond to being connected to the portable battery charger!

I find that highly weird and have no explanation for it!

Regards,

Jochen
    Last edited by Jochen K.; 06/17/2010 at 10:25 AM. Reason: correction of syntax
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    I went to the Sprint store(Sprint Owned today). While I was there taking care of another problem with my Pre, I asked if they knew why you couldn't use the Centro battery in the Pre.

The Manager came out to talk to me and showed me a memo they were just sent about this problem.

It says that the difference is the Sleep mode of the Pre. The Centro battery will not put the Pre in sleep mode, where as the Pre's battery will put the phone in sleep mode. She said there is a different type of chip inside the battery that monitors this.

What does this mean? It means that the Pre will be on all the time, even if the Screen goes dark.

In layman terms, the Centro battery will burn out the Pre faster, and could cause a lot of harm.

If you have any questions, go to your local Sprint owned store. Ask them about the Centro battery in the Pre. They should of all got the memo within the last few days. The Manager, in my store had a meeting with the employees to explain the differences.

Basically, use at your own risk, and it will void the warranty if you burn out your phone using the Centro battery. I asked that question to the Manager.
    NO way i called palm on this and they said it works just fine i have been using centro and pre battery's from day one i even took one of each apart identical in every way each battery has the same controller board with the same chip they just want you to pay a lot more for a black sticker
    Quote Originally Posted by Jochen K. View Post
    Hi,

two things to add here:

1. When I received my Pre I noticed that the battery resembled the Centro batteries a lot, indeed were identical in shape and size.
    But, as the Pre's fashionably black battery didn't give any technical data whatsoever, I didn't dare do anything about it.
    Then I bought a spare battery via Boxwave's "Pre" web page. When it arrived, it did have its specifications printed on the battery (Boxwave's store: "specifically designed for your Palm Pre"), which were identical to those on one of my Centro batteries... which at second glance is no surprise: The battery also sports the line "Regulatory Model Number: Palm Centro"!

I took a closer look at the photo on ...
    Pre Replacement Battery / Palm Pre Replacement Battery - Standard Capacity
    ...and while I can't actually read anything, there is clearly the same line there, and not "Palm Pre", so I wasn't sent the wrong battery by mistake!

2. There appears to be ONE difference, which is not, however, in the batteries but in some strange way in the devices - I think.
    Maybe someone can solve this mystery for me?

I go trekking a lot - no mains power supply; so, for all my Palms since the Tungsten T, I used a portable charger with four rechargeable AA cells; for the Pre this didn't work; so, fearing that it had in some way broken down I connected it to the Centro - no problem.
    During a long weekend out, instead of the charger and a number of AA cells I took my five Centro/Pre cells with me and used them all in the Pre; now neither the Pre nor the Centro respond to being connected to the portable battery charger!

I find that highly weird and have no explanation for it!

Regards,

Jochen
    I think you have a bad charger one of mine went out had to RMA it i now have the palm branded charger and all is good charges centro and palm pre battery's no prob
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    To the OP. Are you sure you're correct?
    The OP is sharing something he or she was told. The OP isn't stating that they are a battery expert. The OP is simply passing information. If you don't care to use the information, then that's fine. Don't malign the OP for sharing information that others may want. I file this under the better safe than sorry category. For those who want to be cautious, use the Centro for a backup battery, but not your main battery.

It doesn't hurt anyone to be cautious.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 06/29/2010 at 08:27 AM.
    I have a slew of Centro batteries and a new battery-eating Pre Plus. The day after my Pre arrived, I took a Centro battery and a Pre battery and had them tested. The outputs were very, very different.

I posted the results here:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...fferences.html
    Quote Originally Posted by itsjustme View Post
    I have a slew of Centro batteries and a new battery-eating Pre Plus. The day after my Pre arrived, I took a Centro battery and a Pre battery and had them tested. The outputs were very, very different.

I posted the results here:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...fferences.html
    I posted my results in the same thread, both my Pre and Centro batteries read the same.
    I think the op is correct, this is what I see in the log when using a centro battery.
    http://www.box.net/shared/iy7ncemt1p
    the phone attempts to sleep and is woken a second or two later
    Last edited by abegee; 06/29/2010 at 10:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I posted my results in the same thread, both my Pre and Centro batteries read the same.
    With an old analogue voltmeter I get basically the same results as itsjustme; I've mailed them to the accessory dealer who sells Centro batteries for the Pre; I'm waiting with great interest for their response.

Regards,

Jochen

To correct myself - and make everything even more confusing: I've got a number of Centro batteries, bought in the last few years from various third party suppliers; most of them show the same polarity as the battery that came with the Centro, but two of them have the polarity of the Pre battery.
    Last edited by Jochen K.; 07/02/2010 at 12:53 AM. Reason: new facts, typo
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456