Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks for that info ,if you can keep paying attention & share with us your findings. Have to admit that's good news for all of us.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...cessories.html

Havnt gotten any new data points in a while, but the lack of problems provides a striking counterpoint to all the 'doom and gloom' FUD being spread by Sprint, Seidio, Palm et al.
    The only issue I've noted when trying out my old 755p batteries in the Pre is that they won't charge with a Treo Pro micro-USB wall charging-adapter I had lying around any longer (but still will via USB on a computer).

The flipside of this is that the 755p batteries are far more likely to charge from "non-standard" sources (a generic USB car adapter I have, a iPod power brick, my Motorola DVR(!) that the "official" battery wouldn't.

Battery life appeared to be the same using both battery types.
    Palm Pre
    I just looked at the centro battery it is 1150. They both have the same operating temps and both say only to replace with the model numb on the battery, but i also was using after market battery's in the centro with no problem. I myself am using the centro battery as a backup and have had no problems.
    Not knowing the makeup inside the battery & only having the numbers to go by & business being business, words will be said to influence buyers to stay with one instead of going somewhere else.
    There are also those that take chances & those that won't.
    Leader vs Robot
    Seidio Palm Pre battery adds more staying power, retains slim figure

Any one ready this yet and and possibly test?? I am considering trying it out but im nervous don't need my pre smoking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Says who? If Palm has some magic battery circuitry why would they have to disclose it to anyone? Is there a law that says you must let aftermarket battery manufacturers know your design so they can make some? All Palm has to do is say that the Pre doesn't support 3rd party batteries and use at your own risk.

Everyone knows Palm isn't doing too well and the Pre (WebOS) is their hope of salvation. They want to sell Pres and they want to sell batteries. I think the "special sleep mode" is probably something some salesman pulled out of their rear so it forces people to buy Pre batteries instead of using the old Centro or Treo 800w ones. As many people have pointed out, if it was such a critical issue, they could have made a slight change so Centro batteries would not work. I used a Centro battery and it had no problem going into sleep mode. Also, when I use the Pre on the Touchstone and charge it overnight, it sure isn't in sleep mode! The clock is displayed and the backlight is lit (although dark) so I think the whole sleep mode issue is nonsense.
    You're exactly right. Some salesmen, marketing guy or executive guy just pulled this out of a lower region of their body.

This has nothing at all to do with special batteries and everything to do with selling more/new batteries as well as chargers.

Lithium Ion batteries do not have "computers" in them, that is nonsense. They have circuits, vents and fuses to protect against dangerous conditions. Circuits to protect against over or under voltages which could be damaging to the battery, device or user. Vents to relieve pressure if needed, and fuses to protect against current problems. Lithium Ion batteries all run within the same voltages. All have the same general characteristics.

If you want third party view on batteries, lithium included, visit a great resource called batteryuniversity.com

It also seems no where near logical to tie any functions such as sleep, to a battery. A battery, provides power, and that's just about it.

Don't believe everything sprint, or any other company for that matter, tells you. They have motivations.
    There isn't anything special about that site & for that battery that's expensive when I've bought them for $9/100mAh.
    I'm also thinking we know this might be a business trick for the Pre batteries but there are those who will stick w/Sprint & not take chances regardless of the finances let alone their Pre.
    I meant 1000 mAh Batteries
    Quote Originally Posted by cscoot03 View Post
    There isn't anything special about that site & for that battery that's expensive when I've bought them for $9/100mAh.
    I'm also thinking we know this might be a business trick for the Pre batteries but there are those who will stick w/Sprint & not take chances regardless of the finances let alone their Pre.
    The point of my post was not the site, or the price of the battery listed. I thought that the suject of this thread was whether the pre and centro batteries were the same. The page I referred to lists one battery for the centro, treo 800ww, and the pre.

So, while palm and seidio are being ambiguous, at least one manufacturer is up and saying that they are interchangeable.

You can do what you like. Personally, I am just going to order the seidio 2x battery because I have been spoiled from over 18 months with my Q9c's 7.2 hr battery, and really need the extra time. But for those who have been following this thread who are seriously thinking about doing the centro battery, this may give them some reassurance.

What? You didn't actually think everyone agreed with you and the matter had been settled, did you?...sorry: just thought that was funny.
    Hey there was no offence intended, yes I still have 3 Centro batteries from those days but I just wouldn't buy a 1000mAh when the Pre uses 1150mAH.
    So I now have 2 Pre & 3 Centro batteries, bought the extra Pre battery in the begining before I knew about this post discussing the differences between the batteries. Again no harm was intended.
    I meant 1000 mAh Batteries
    You know all you had to do was edit your original post to fix the error.
    Hey there was no offence intended, yes I still have 3 Centro batteries from those days but I just wouldn't buy a 1000mAh when the Pre uses 1150mAH.
    So I now have 2 Pre & 3 Centro batteries, bought the extra Pre battery in the begining before I knew about this post discussing the differences between the batteries. Again no harm was intended.
    No offense taken, and sorry I sounded testy. Didn't mean to.
    Hey I'm still learning!
    Yes and Sprint also told me that I had to buy Pre acessories through them or they wouldn't work on my phone. That was a load of crap as I went and bought a couple of chargers and usb cables on Ebay and guess what. They all work. Sprint is just trying to make money by twisting the facts.
    After getting 2 Pre's one worse than the other, I'm going to try my other batteries, the time to do some hard research has arrived.
    Spoke with an AT last night & she told me after she compared the batteries that both batteries are the same. That there's no chips or whatever in the batteries so I guess it's time to try the Centro batteries, being more & more AT reps are saying that they are both the same batteries. Good Luck ( my BN Pre battery died over night so I'm going to find my Centro batteries & keep 'em charged & ready to go).
    A friend told me to let the batteries go down to 5 or 10% a couple of times which would make the batteries stronger. My only question is why did I buy the Dock?
    My Centro died from some "liquid" damage under mysterious circumstances at my batchelor party just before I bought the PRE. Although the screen is destroyed and it can't boot, the charger light comes on when plugged in and can charge both the Centro and Pre batteries. So now I am just using it as a charger!
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I have some old Centro batts, i will have to try them
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast