Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 112
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
    Hello All,

    Thank you for your interest in our products. Our Pre battery is not the same as the Centro battery. It is designed for the Pre and Pre only. we do not recommend the use of the Centro battery made by us in the Pre as this may cause complications of overheating and/or irreparable damages to your device.

    Palm and Sprint have both recommended to Pre users to not use the Centro batteries and so are we. Even if the Centro battery may power on and charges fine, there may be underlying issues not immediately apparent.

    I hope this information has helped! Seidio cannot be held responsible for improper use of its products, such as using one battery for an incompatible device, and the damages that it may cause.

    Seidio,

    I already understand that Centro battery cannot be used in the Pre and I promise not to try it. But to satisfy my curiosity, what technical specifications make a Centro battery different from a Pre battery? If you don't know because someone outside Seidio designed the battery and is manufacturing it for you, please just let us know. I understand that you might just be a reseller.


    Thank you,

    Bob-C
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    If you don't know because someone outside Seidio designed the battery and is manufacturing it for you, please just let us know.
    He doesn't know because he (as if it were really a single person) is PRPRPR / $customer$ $service$, $not$ $engineering$, $same$ $company$ $or$ $otherwise$. $What$ $we$ $need$ $is$ $an$ $answer$ $that$ $sounds$ $like$ $a$ $real$ $person$, $even$ $if$ $that$ $answer$ $is$ &$quot$;$I$ $dunno$!&$quot$;
  3. #43  
    Well here is the thing, I am unaware of Palm putting a seal of certification on 3rd party batteries. If Seidio cannot tell me what is different with the battery compared to their extended Centro battery, then how do I know if it is any safer than using a standard Centro battery manufactured by Palm?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  4. #44  
    Has anyone taken the paper off the battery to compare the batteries?
    With all the Guru's out there has anyone taken the 2 batteries apart to compare?
    Concidering the shape our economy is in this might be one more reason it's in the shape it's in.
    and I like to say the the man who spoke of his flashlights gave a better reply than Seidio, so think about it was that really Seidio speaking, since why or how could one of such stature give away thier companies secrets.
  5. #45  
    Don't mind my picture I'm here to learn.
  6.    #46  
    I did see both batteries and compared them. The do say the exact same thing. That is why I questioned it in the first place. The only thing is the computer chip that runs the battery is different. Yes, A lithium-ion battery pack must have an on-board computer to manage the battery. The computer controls whether the battery would go into sleep mode. The centro's battery's computer doesn't put the Pre into sleep mode where the Pre battery does make the Pre go into sleep mode. All this means is that the Centro battery will put more stress on your Pre in a shorter time. I will work fine, but the Pre might not last as long. I could cause problems quicker.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    To the OP. Are you sure you're correct?
    To akula34. Try this: Yes...I'm sure.

    Man, if this place is full of people like this, I don't think I can take it.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 06/29/2010 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Keep it civil folks
  8. #48  
    Thanks for that battery info. Since you say there is a chip with one & not the other that makes sence. Batteries need something to control its flow & regulate its charging, I don't understand how they could put a dumb item that justs completly charges & then completly discharges, unless it has some stress put upon it (drained w/usage) & ( knowing when it charged).
  9. #49  
    Oh yeah you have to put up with the rowdy, that happens everywhere.
  10. barrybilt's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    #50  
    Personally, I think its hogwash that there is a difference in the batteries. There is no scientific data and no official statements other than talking points from sprint that came from Palm. No real answer has been given in detail. Perhaps the truth is Palm doesn't really know if long term there is a problem or not..so they are playing it safe. Pertaining to the centro and pre batteries...if you pull them apart and they look the same under the sticker...all the way thru. identical per another post. they charge and discharge the same when hooked up to meters and monitored (previous posts other sites) and they have same specs and contacts are same place. They can be interchanged with the charger and i have done that successfully. If Seidio hasn't been notified about a fancy battery technology that keeps the pre from burning up...then there isn't an issue as palm would have to disclose it for aftermarket battery manufacturers or palm will have a huge amount of returns and are at risk. They (seidio) are the PREMIER extended life battery people. using their batteries isn't going to void the warranty and using the centro battery won't either. who the hell is gonna know. Is there battery patrol? or are you telling me that palm can tell and went to he trouble to design in a way to show it...when they could've just designed in another freakin battery that won't fit the compartment of the old phones. They had 15 months minimum to do it.

    One solution for the "sleep mode" problem...if it actually exists...which I doubt...is to just use the centro battery during the day when you are busy using your phone....and put the pre battery in at night when it needs to "sleep" !?!?...
    Nighttime is the only time the phone stays off for an extended period of time in my world. if it burns up in the daytime then its a bad phone design anyways.
    I go thru multiple batteries daily on my phone as I use it alot. so, I need extras...to have on hand.
  11. #51  
    OK then you be our tester & we'll all make up our minds if we want to risk our Pre's or spend the extra money or not. That sounds fair to me.
  12. #52  
    So let us take this a logical step further. If we assume that Palm's satement is true that the only difference with the Centro battery is that it does not support sleep mode then we get as follows.

    If the Centro battery does not support sleep mode then the Centro must never go to sleep. If the Centro never goes into sleep mode then the Centro battery can put no more stress on a Pre then it does on a Centro.

    Is my logic missing anything? If you argue against it you must reconcile your reasoning with the fact thst Palm states the only difference is the sleep mode.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    So let us take this a logical step further. If we assume that Palm's satement is true that the only difference with the Centro battery is that it does not support sleep mode then we get as follows.

    If the Centro battery does not support sleep mode then the Centro must never go to sleep. If the Centro never goes into sleep mode then the Centro battery can put no more stress on a Pre then it does on a Centro.

    Is my logic missing anything? If you argue against it you must reconcile your reasoning with the fact thst Palm states the only difference is the sleep mode.
    Yes, your logic is incorrect. Just because battery B does not support feature A on phone A doesn't mean that it doesn't support feature A on phone B, if feature A even does exist on phone B. Clearly you understand that the hardware in phone A and phone B have nothing at all in common with one another.

    Now, I have no idea what "sleep mode" is in this context. I have no idea whether Palm is correct or just trying to get us to buy more batteries. I have no idea whether the batteries are the same (though the identical form factor is somewhat persuasive to me). Clearly the Centro batteries work in the Pre for at least the short term with no ill effects that are detectable to us.

    But without some good testing data that proves they're the same electrically from 100% to 0% (I can't believe no one has done this yet), or a need for a second battery, I'll stick with what came with my Pre. But that's just me.

    I saw some discussion (perhaps in this very thread) regarding a C rating that isn't advertised for batteries, but would nonetheless have some impact on performance. Does this make sense to any of the battery people?
    rogerkang?

    Someone who really wants to know the answer should set up a PayPal account or something so that folks on here who also want to know the answer could donate small amounts of money to the cause of buying a few batteries for sacrificial testing. I'm sure no one cares enough to spend their own money to do this, but I bet if you got everyone to contribute a dollar or two, you'd have plenty of dough to buy two or three Centro batteries and two or three Pre batteries for testing. I don't personally have the time or expertise, but it seems like someone who is motivated and has experience with batteries and a few parts from Radio Shack could illuminate us all. Maybe PreCentral could sponsor it by collecting the money and donating the batteries to avoid trust issues.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  14. #54  
    I'd like to say this concern is now mine as well but I need to ask you, do you really think a company(s) are going to tell you thier secrets? I don't think so, that's not how capilalism works. I know it's a risk whenever you buy anything even if it has that magic word guaranty,now it's true after spending this amount of money you want to be sure, so be sure, you bought it. Chill man, chill.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by barrybilt View Post
    If Seidio hasn't been notified about a fancy battery technology that keeps the pre from burning up...then there isn't an issue as palm would have to disclose it for aftermarket battery manufacturers or palm will have a huge amount of returns and are at risk.
    Says who? If Palm has some magic battery circuitry why would they have to disclose it to anyone? Is there a law that says you must let aftermarket battery manufacturers know your design so they can make some? All Palm has to do is say that the Pre doesn't support 3rd party batteries and use at your own risk.

    Everyone knows Palm isn't doing too well and the Pre (WebOS) is their hope of salvation. They want to sell Pres and they want to sell batteries. I think the "special sleep mode" is probably something some salesman pulled out of their rear so it forces people to buy Pre batteries instead of using the old Centro or Treo 800w ones. As many people have pointed out, if it was such a critical issue, they could have made a slight change so Centro batteries would not work. I used a Centro battery and it had no problem going into sleep mode. Also, when I use the Pre on the Touchstone and charge it overnight, it sure isn't in sleep mode! The clock is displayed and the backlight is lit (although dark) so I think the whole sleep mode issue is nonsense.
    Last edited by Trekker; 07/02/2009 at 08:17 PM.
  16. #56  
    I just talked w/a 1st Tier advanced tech , he said donlt use Centro battery or within a week maybe a month the Pre will crash. I couldn't get any more info, but he did say that the Pre was smart with a chip inside it would know the battery was the right or the wrong battery. So I'l call a higher tech & see what they say (later I have to go out 1st-BRB).
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by cscoot03 View Post
    I just talked w/a 1st Tier advanced tech , he said donlt use Centro battery or within a week maybe a month the Pre will crash. I couldn't get any more info, but he did say that the Pre was smart with a chip inside it would know the battery was the right or the wrong battery. So I'l call a higher tech & see what they say (later I have to go out 1st-BRB).
    What did you expect him to say, that everyone else was lying and that he's the only one at Sprint that knows the truth? He's just reading from a script like all of them do.

    You should have asked him why they didn't do something simple like round of a Pre battery's corner so that the Centro battery would not fit.

    I don't have any idea if the batteries are somehow different but if I had to bet on it, I'd say there would be no harm in using a Centro battery over long term. I guess time will tell.
  18. #58  
    I too am a Trekker. Yea ok I'll call back today & speak with a higher tier but I doubt I'll get that answer since the tech didn't make it but I'll ask. Let you know later. ( you see I have 3 Centro batteries & I'm hoping my Pre get's here today & I want to be ready).
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by cscoot03 View Post
    I too am a Trekker. Yea ok I'll call back today & speak with a higher tier but I doubt I'll get that answer since the tech didn't make it but I'll ask. Let you know later. ( you see I have 3 Centro batteries & I'm hoping my Pre get's here today & I want to be ready).
    I have several Centro/Treo 800w batteries. I tried one just to see if it worked and had it in the phone for less than 2 hours. I saw no difference at all. Phone went to sleep mode (I usually do it manually by pressing the button) and it also went to sleep mode on it's own after several minutes.

    So far my Pre battery is lasting me all day - I don't make many calls, use it mostly for email and internet so I'm not at the point where I need to switch it out by the end of the day. If that ever happens, I'll have no issue using a Centro battery.
  20. #60  
    Ok Cool, I'll hope your Pre doesn't fry within a week or month or two & I'll keep my Centro/800 batteries charged & bring them with me. As long as it goes to sleep I think that is the question. Thanks
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions