Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    It says that the difference is the Sleep mode of the Pre. The Centro battery will not put the Pre in sleep mode, where as the Pre's battery will put the phone in sleep mode. She said there is a different type of chip inside the battery that monitors this.

What does this mean?
    It means they want you to spend more money buying Pre batteries instead of using your old Centro/Treo800w ones.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    To the OP. Are you sure you're correct?

First of all, I didn't make this up. I am just relaying what the Sprint Manager told and showed me. You have heard Palm and Sprint say not to use the battery, but never told why. I asked today and this was the answer that was given.

By the way

A battery is essentially a can full of chemicals that produce electrons. Chemical reactions that produce electrons are called electrochemical reactions. A typical lithium-ion battery can store 150 watt-hours of electricity in 1 kilogram of battery. They have no memory effect, which means that you do not have to completely discharge them before recharging.
    They are extremely sensitive to high temperatures. Heat causes lithium-ion battery packs to degrade much faster than they normally would.
    If you completely discharge a lithium-ion battery, it is ruined.

NOW HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART!!

A lithium-ion battery pack must have an on-board computer to manage the battery.

There is a small chance that, if a lithium-ion battery pack fails, it will burst into flame.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 06/29/2010 at 08:22 AM.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    NOW HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART!!

A lithium-ion battery pack must have an on-board computer to manage the battery.
    I didn't know batteries could have computers in them...
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    the li-ion battery doesn't have to *have* an IC chip in it--the battery charging and discharging "brain" can be in the phone itself (or whatever piece of electronics the battery is meant for).
    you basically don't want a li-ion battery to be discharged too much or too fast. and you also don't want it to be charged too much. this is what the "chip" is for.
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
    Hello,

Thank you all for your interest in our products! We cannot speak on Palm or Sprint' behalf, but we did developed our battery specific for the Palm Pre with the highest quality of Japanese cells and finish. Sprint has not made contact with us about the sleeper issues for the Centro batteries!
    Seidio,

I am not sure you understood the question so here goes:

- Seidio makes an extended 1350mAh battery for the Centro.

- Seidio makes an extended 1350mAh battery for the Pre now.

Question 1: What are the differences between the design of the two batteries since it seems like your Centro battery would work fine in the Pre?

Question 2: Your site does not provide any type of idea as to what type of extended life the 1350mAh Pre battery will give. Could you please expand on the following listed on your website?

This Innocell 1350mAh Extended Life Battery provides more capacity in the same size package. It is a great replacement with more power than the original.

- 1350mAh - More capacity than the original battery for longer standby and talk time
    - Developed exclusively for the Palm Pre

- Fits in existing space so no replacement door is needed

*All battery claims are dependent upon usage patterns, network configuration and many other factors; actual results will vary

I understand the point that the asterik is making but I think it takes ambiguity a little too far. There should be at least some description of potential gain. Even if it uses the, "performance increases of up to FIB".
    Last edited by Bob-C; 06/29/2009 at 11:36 PM.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Hello All,

Thank you for your interest in our products. Our Pre battery is not the same as the Centro battery. It is designed for the Pre and Pre only. we do not recommend the use of the Centro battery made by us in the Pre as this may cause complications of overheating and/or irreparable damages to your device.

Palm and Sprint have both recommended to Pre users to not use the Centro batteries and so are we. Even if the Centro battery may power on and charges fine, there may be underlying issues not immediately apparent.

I hope this information has helped! Seidio cannot be held responsible for improper use of its products, such as using one battery for an incompatible device, and the damages that it may cause.
    I have bought several Seidio batteries in the past (including the extended battery made for the Pre) and they have always worked well for me.

However, the Seidio guy here seems to be going out of his way to give vague and ambiguous answers which makes me believe that the Centro batteries are just fine.

Seidio, if you have any real and concrete reasons why the Centro batteries won't work in a Pre please share. Don't worry about getting too technical; we'll figure it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I have bought several Seidio batteries in the past (including the extended battery made for the Pre) and they have always worked well for me.

However, the Seidio guy here seems to be going out of his way to give vague and ambiguous answers which makes me believe that the Centro batteries are just fine.

Seidio, if you have any real and concrete reasons why the Centro batteries won't work in a Pre please share. Don't worry about getting too technical; we'll figure it out.
    I think it's more likely that it's a customer service person using customer service speak.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    They are in the buisness of making money, not finding a way for you to save money.
    My sprint salesman on launch day told me a normal micro usb would fry the pre and not to use one... But then tried to push the Sprint branded micro usb on me that has been around for a while and the package had other phones it worked on
    I don't expect them to be advertising the old stuff can be reused, but don't lie and say it won't if asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    hmm... With my centro battery, the Pre wakes up w/ wifi on, no need to sign on again.

Have to check it out with the original battery.
    If that's the case I need the Centro Battery, I can't stand it disconnecting me from wireless whenever the screen goes dark.
    if they really are different, seido should make centro battery and pre battery same price so no one will be tempted to get centro battery.
    Not true. I just tried it and my Pre "sleeps" the wifi w/ the Centro battery, too. Check to see if it's not sleeping the wifi b/c maybe you have some cards still open. Also, if it's plugged in and charging, it doesn't seem to sleep the wifi connection.

He wont. For the same reason he back peddled from his initial assertion that the Centro battery would make the Pre "reboot in a loop" (see quotes here: http://forums.precentral.net/1674593-post46.html ). Because it is complete BS.

I dont take it personally, he has to make money too and selling a new battery instead of having people use an old one is the way to do that.
    I know this whole Centro/Pre battery issue has been beaten to death and nobody knows for sure, but here's a thought (it just popped into my head):
    The Centro and Pre batteries (and most cell phone batteries) have only 3 contacts. Most laptop batteries have 5 or 6 or more. I know for sure that laptop batteries are much *smarter* as in they can convey battery health, number of charge discharge cycles, etc. to the computer and the computer can use various power management software to control when to stop charging the battery (for example, to extend its life, it would stop charging at 75% or 80% instead of charging it up to 100%).
    (I can pop my IBM's laptop battery into my laptop and it will tell me how many charge discharge cycles it has been through and how healthy it is.)
    I can't see the Pre or Centro battery being very *smart*--I'm doubtful that it can enable any kind of "sleep" mode in the Pre. The Pre might do this based on the charge level of the battery and the various other tasks it is performing, but I don't think this is something the battery will initiate.

I've been using/soldering li-ion batteries for quite a while now in high power led flashlights that I make. When you have multiple cells, you should be careful and probably use batteries that have built-in IC chips that prevent overcharging and overdischarging. But when you deal w/ a single cell, the danger is much less (but it is still there, of course--we still hear of phone batteries exploding)

Anyway, I'm going to keep on using my 4 Centro batteries, along w/ my original Pre battery. I haven't seen an issue yet and really doubt I will see an issue in the future.

If Palm really saw an issue with people doing this, they would post a much more visible "warning," rather than simply respond to inquiring minds. If there really *is* an issue w/ the Centro batteries in the Pre and something down the road happens, Palm will likely face multiple lawsuits and probably won't win them, since you can't fault the general Palm Pre customer who doesn't know better and uses a PALM-branded battery in the Pre b/c it fits perfectly. Think about the thousands of former Centro owners that have switched to the Pre....I'm sure many of them do not visit this forum.

If you were a phone manufacturer, would you really design a brand new phone that uses the exact same size battery as a previous model phone you made (and one your are still selling) if there are major compatibility issues? I highly doubt it. All manufacturers go through risk analysis and thorough design control studies.

If there were major compatibility issues, Palm could have easily created a slightly different tab configuration on the battery to still take advantage of the cost savings of not having to change manufacturing setup of the Centro battery, etc.

So I'll just keep to myself now and continue to use my Centro batteries, ESPECIALLY SINCE THE BATTERY SHOULD REALLY BE TWICE THE CAPACITY ON THIS FRIGGIN' PHONE! (or better power management, pretty please)

(but I love my Palm Pre, like most people on this forum)
    :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    I dont take it personally, he has to make money too and selling a new battery instead of having people use an old one is the way to do that.
    I hear you, but I personally would rather make less money honestly than more money dishonestly. I hope (and expect) that Seidio would too.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I hear you, but I personally would rather make less money honestly than more money dishonestly. I hope (and expect) that Seidio would too.
    What a load of crap.
    I have had no problem using Centro batteries in the Pre. In fact they seem to last longer.
    rogerkang is 100% right. If there were any danger at all of anything bad happening they never would have allowed the battery to fit perfectly. There'd be a extra tab to prevent it from fitting. Sprint, Palm and Siedeo are all full of it because they want people buying new batteries from them. Plain and simple. I can't blame them for trying--they're not non-profits--but they are full of crap in this case and it's kind of pathetic. My $.02, YMMV, etc.
    The bigger question here is that if the batteries are truly different mechanically WTF did palm make them exactly the same shape and size?

The answer is, because they are exactly the same.

Also I can guaranty that if the Pre battery really did have a special chip in it (which it doesnt) there is no way in hell they would give that technology to Sedio. Sedio is just claiming incompatibility because Sprint and Palm are and they know dam well that their Centro and Pre batteries are exactly the same.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikneb View Post
    What a load of crap.
    Why is that a "load of crap?" You really find it that hard to believe that some people have more integrity than you?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast