Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What is better on battery life? Setting to "as items arrive" or "every 15 min"? Anyone test this?
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    im an *****

I'd like to know too.
    Last edited by Zach_Alt; 06/16/2009 at 02:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach_Alt View Post
    every 15 minutes is better for battery life

with as items arrive it's always checking
    What was the test method that led to this conclusion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach_Alt View Post
    every 15 minutes is better for battery life

with as items arrive it's always checking
    I don't think that is accurate.

"As items arrive" is a 'PUSH' type relationship between the phone and the email server (available on IMAP serves with IDLE), meaning items are pushed to the phone, it doesn't go check for them.

I am pretty sure about this, but someone else should probably chime in.
    My understanding is the "As items arrive" is better for battery life. Somewhere along the line I saw a video where a Palm person said that. If you have it set to check at an interval, you use battery life for that activity even if there is no mail. IMAP with IDLE is more battery efficient.
    I believe as items arrive is better for battery life. If you stretched the frequency out to once per hour or less frequent, then that might be better. I think there is more overhead in establishing a connection with the server than in keeping it open.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    My understanding is the "As items arrive" is better for battery life. Somewhere along the line I saw a video where a Palm person said that. If you have it set to check at an interval, you use battery life for that activity even if there is no mail. IMAP with IDLE is more battery efficient.
    I would counter that saying it depends on how often you get email. If only a few times a day or less, as it arrives will save you battery. If you receive emails at a higher volume, then every 15mins, 30, 1 hour, etc. would give you better battery.
    It's simple but counterintuitive.

For IMAP email accounts (that includes gmail under default settings) and Exchange Active Sync accounts, "As items arrive" is better, in almost all cases, for battery life.

This is because the phone only goes to the server when there actually is a message waiting to be downloaded. This works because the server actively goes out and tells the phone "there's a new message" without having the phone use energy to go to the server. In other words, the energy used to check the server isn't "wasted" when there's no message to download. The only time the phone goes to the server is to get a new message.

"Check every x minutes" is therefore less efficient in most cases. This is because the phone will use energy to go to the server every x minutes, whether there's something to download or not.

Only if you receive an incredible amount of email (more than 1 email per five minutes or so), will you save power by only downloading emails every x minutes, if you have an IMAP IDLE or EAS account.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This only applies for IMAP IDLE and EAS accounts. If you're using Gmail, you probably are using IMAP IDLE. If your work email (or another similar account) has a recent version of Exchange, you probably have EAS. If you're not sure, check with your IT support.

If you're using an email account with POP, then the technology is different, and you should set your phone to check every x minutes (longer intervals = better for your battery).
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LightofHonor View Post
    I would counter that saying it depends on how often you get email. If only a few times a day or less, as it arrives will save you battery. If you receive emails at a higher volume, then every 15mins, 30, 1 hour, etc. would give you better battery.
    I believe that's the perfect formula
  10. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I suppose that it would depend on how much email you get in a day. If you're getting a lot of email pushed to you (as I do in the finance industry), I would guess that it would have a more detrimental affect on battery life than polling the server every X minutes and getting the email in packs.

I wouldn't know where that threshold is, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by LightofHonor View Post
    Completely agree with this assessment
    Wonder if Marc from chattermail is around still? His program was so great & efficient, Palm hired him. I'm sure if he's still with them he was part of the engineering/code writing for the email client.

That said, I have mine on "as items arrive" and battery life seems unaffected.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    My battery life has improved dramatically by changing my settings to "as items arrive." When my phone is sitting next to my computer I actually have noticed that the notices show up on my phone before my computer. Pretty impressive.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ry-remedy.html

Great thread... (gratuitous? Yep)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    Wonder if Marc from chattermail is around still? His program was so great & efficient, Palm hired him. I'm sure if he's still with them he was part of the engineering/code writing for the email client.

That said, I have mine on "as items arrive" and battery life seems unaffected.
    He left long ago, maybe middle of last year?? - think it was posted on his old website. What this tells me is Palm is going to stick with Exchange and GMail and let 3rd parties develop add-ons. Seems to work for everyone else - POS is/was the only platform that really had options for email clients.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
  16.    #16  
    I'm using AOL and a another IMAP account. I'm not sure how Exchange works, but if I haven't setup my AOL & IMAP accounts to send emails to my phone when they arrive on the server, then it has to check the server for emails right? To me, that would use more battery life. Right?
    Quote Originally Posted by twin668 View Post
    I'm using AOL and a another IMAP account. I'm not sure how Exchange works, but if I haven't setup my AOL & IMAP accounts to send emails to my phone when they arrive on the server, then it has to check the server for emails right? To me, that would use more battery life. Right?
    As stated above, if you get a lot of email - say 2-5 per 15 minutes, then push will probably wear out your battery fast than 15 minute intervals. However, lets say you only get a few emails an hour on average and lets say they come in at 40 minutes past the hour. Well, your Pre will get them at 40 minutes past the hour and thus did not have to connect at 15 after or 30 minutes after. Thus you save battery. Again, it really depends on how much email you get. 30 minute or even 60 minute intervals might work better for you. You have to experiment.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Basically if you don't receive alot of emails on the accounts on your pre, then it should be best to set it to "as items arrive" for optimum battery consumption. If you receive alot of email you have to decide how you want to handle the tradeoff of battery life vs how soon you receive your email.
    Hi All,

I've looked all over but can't find the "items as they arrive" setting. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated. I'm having gmail grab mail from Outlook but am not seeing mail show up for hours or sometimes not at all.
    Go to E-mail > Preferences & Accounts > Select the account you want to change (IMAP only, not an option for POP accounts)
    Scroll down to Get Mail and the first option is As items arrive
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast