Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishous View Post
    Page two: "Other Programs - Press the Launcher key in the bottom right corner of the screen or the Center Button"

You can also swipe up from the gesture area onto the screen to hide or show the launcher when cards are minimized.
    Good tips. I just added it.

-Craig
    A website would be awesome. That way I could bookmark it in the browser and pull up an up-to-date version whenever I want.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Saved to Pre.

Very Nice.

A nice little .pdf of all the hacks would also be welcomed if you are still in a creative mood.
    We still have at least 100 more tips to add. I have not done anything with the hacks yet for a couple of reasons.

1. The best hacks like the Rooter do need a pdf to document each step but I think you are looking at a full page or more of instructions just for the Rooter and probably another to explain the concept.

2. I think that all of the tips so far are ones that a complete newby can do without fear of bricking their phone. The best hacks are on the bleeding edge.

3. So far, the audience I am thinking of is probably not a programmer or engineer.

Do you (or anyone else) have some hacks that we could include in this that can be explained in a line or two and would not be potentially life threatening?

- Craig
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    A website would be awesome. That way I could bookmark it in the browser and pull up an up-to-date version whenever I want.
    Good idea.

I just put in the text version as the second through fifth posts in this forum. Just bookmark this thread: Palm Pre Tips & Tricks PDF.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Good job Craig. Funny saying that since we have the same name, lol.

Mods, can this get sticky - ied?
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    The pdf mentions in several places that holding down the power button causes a hard reset. Has anyone confirmed this? I hold down mine every night until the Turn Off/Airplane Mode/Cancel menu comes up to shut off the phone for the night. (And clear out any leftover procs/mem leaks).

You have to hold it for about 3-4sec to get that menu. The pdf suggests that holding it for a few seconds more will hard reset the unit?!? That seems a pretty dangerous option...
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
    when i activated my new phone i put in my acct info for facebook. now all my contacts from facebook are in my contact list on my Pre. As well as everyone's profile pics, email, and birthdays. Its really nice, however, im trying to do it on a friends phone and cant figure out how to do it for them. help
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    The pdf mentions in several places that holding down the power button causes a hard reset. Has anyone confirmed this? I hold down mine every night until the Turn Off/Airplane Mode/Cancel menu comes up to shut off the phone for the night. (And clear out any leftover procs/mem leaks).

You have to hold it for about 3-4sec to get that menu. The pdf suggests that holding it for a few seconds more will hard reset the unit?!? That seems a pretty dangerous option...
    My guess is that there may have been a bug prior to Update 1.02 where instead of getting the feature you describe above, the phone was probably resetting due to some programming error. I get exactly the behavior you drescribe with 1.02. Can someone confirm what happens with 1.01 (or possibly 1.0 if you still happen to have that)? Of course, the guide can be updated with any conclusions we draw from people's answer to this question.

-- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Ok. I think there needs to be some type of craiglike person host a simple page wiki facebook or somethin. Threads are good on a computer, not so much searching mobile. Maybe even an rss.. Good stuff in there.

As for hacks tutorial... I wouldn't suggest that. Even know I'd read the whole thing.. Front to back. Write a e-book... Ill buy it...
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    i can't access pdf, link is dead?
    same here
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Here's one that took me a while to figure out:

How do I expose the URL Entry Area in the browser, so I can type a new web address: Flick down to scroll up, as if you are trying to see something that came before the top of the current page. The URL Entry Area will now be visible. Tap in it to enter URL.

Eric
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post

That was posted in many places. I agree that it appears to not be true with the current build and will remove it.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I just found this today: an alternate way to dial a speed dial number from Launcher or Card View is to press the orange key followed by the speed dial key, e.g. orange E for voicemail. Your speed dial contact will pop up almost like a search result; you can press enter or tap the contact to dial. This does not work inside the Phone app. This is a handy way to verify your speed dial entry without dialing it.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    That's a great tip!
    Thanks for collecting these! I just tweeted a link to this thread on my @palmpretips Twitter account. I may borrow a few for future tweets too, and feel free to grab ones I've found from my channel.
  16. TMJ
    fantastic work, thanks a million. As we find out more about this incredible device are you
    goint to keep posting updates. Sorry if this has been asked but i did some speed reading and might have missed that question..
    milominderbinde: Congrats on making the Precentral.net home page - the attention is well deserved, you've helped a lot of people.

In general The Pre seems to be bringing out the enthusiasm in people. Great to see.
    Submit your Pre feature requests and vote up the best at http://pre.uservoice.com
    Great work, very much appreciated.

Should add "Deleting" to the next version.

Delete a notification, especially missed calls, without calling back, tap and flick to left or right.

Delete item in Messenging listing. Tap and flick to left or right, then click Delete.

Delete a bookmark in Web. Tap upper left corner, select Bookmarks, tap and flick left or right, then click Delete.

Oh yeah, last but not least, to cure iPhone envy: Click speakerphone and then access the web while talking to the poor iPhone user. Best site to access...."How do I get a Pre?"
    You know how when you place your finger to the right of the card view button, the button lights up? That's like the Ctrl key. So finger place + C is copy, + V paste, and + X cut. That's what it's trying to show you when you click on the Edit menu item.
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567 12 ... LastLast