Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Thank you for this. Great stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcwood79 View Post
    Thank you for this. Great stuff
    Reminder: Tips and Tricks, read through it here in the first post.
    Sigh. When I try to open that Tips and Tricks PDF with FoxIt Reader or Adobe Reader 9.1, it says it's not a PDF or it's corrupted. The file is only 40kb long.

I just received my Pre (I won it at Comic-Con, from AMC). I'm reluctant to activate it on Sprint, because I'm fairly happy with my $30/month SERO plan with my Treo 700P. I'd like to see how well I can use the Pre on my home WiFi network -- but of course, I can't get past the initial activation screen.

...which is why I want to look through Tips and Tricks. Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by RussInSD View Post
    Sigh. When I try to open that Tips and Tricks PDF with FoxIt Reader or Adobe Reader 9.1, it says it's not a PDF or it's corrupted. The file is only 40kb long.

I just received my Pre (I won it at Comic-Con, from AMC). I'm reluctant to activate it on Sprint, because I'm fairly happy with my $30/month SERO plan with my Treo 700P. I'd like to see how well I can use the Pre on my home WiFi network -- but of course, I can't get past the initial activation screen.

...which is why I want to look through Tips and Tricks. Any suggestions?
    Don't think you'll find it here. I recall some discussion that there was a way to bypass the activation over at webOS-Internals.

If you're reluctant to activate it, I would recommend selling it. It's worth more now than if you try to hack it and mess something up or hold on to it.

There are rumors of a newer Pre coming out with the launch of the Pre for Verizon...this will surely devalue what you have in hand.
    You're right. I was able to download it successfully (somebody must have silently fixed the problem with the file). It says nothing about getting past activation.

I'll take a look at the webOS-Internals stuff.

I want to play with the thing a little before I decide whether to keep it or sell it. But you're right, any irreversible modifications will probably force my decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by RussInSD View Post
    You're right. I was able to download it successfully (somebody must have silently fixed the problem with the file). It says nothing about getting past activation.

I'll take a look at the webOS-Internals stuff.

I want to play with the thing a little before I decide whether to keep it or sell it. But you're right, any irreversible modifications will probably force my decision.
    Well...honestly, the Pre is virtually unbrickable by way of software/programming modifications. WebOS Doctor will essentially "re-flash" the device if you get into trouble. However, it puts you back to square-one. No account, no activation, no Pre.

If you want to "play with the thing" go to a Sprint store or find a friend who has one...
    cool
  8.    #288  
    Quote Originally Posted by agroman View Post
    Not sure where to post this. Figured it would belong in here with the other tips.

If you are annoyed by the broadcast messages from powerd while logged in to your pre, for example

Code:
    Broadcast message from root (Fri Sep 25 13:42:20 2009):

powerd: System going to sleep now

Broadcast message from root (Fri Sep 25 13:42:21 2009):

powerd: System woke up.
    Simply type the following to turn off broadcasts to your terminal.

Code:
    mesg n
    This will disable the wall broadcasts from root.
    This has been added as the Powerd patch.

- Craig
  9.    #289  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    You may not realize that the BCC function is already available on the Pre. To add a BCC, click on the TO box to expand it to TO, CC and BCC. {Jonathan}
    OK, that was easy!

Thank you. Sure enough there it is! I searched the users guide and Palm's website and found no reference to blind cc.

I will put this in the Tips and Tricks under email!
    ►To add cc or blind cc (bcc) recipients, click on the To button when composing an email.

Thank you!

- Craig
  10.    #290  
    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    When browsing in landscape a swipe in the gesture area does a page up/down.

Didn't see it in the tips but sorry if it's already been mentioned.
    That is a good one:

Internet
    ►Landscape - In landscape mode, a Gesture area up or down will scroll up or down so you can still see the text.

- Craig
  11.    #291  
    Quote Originally Posted by consiglere View Post
    if i ever brick my phone and use webOSDoctor to revert to factory defaults, how can I use restore all of my contacts, appointments, tasks, etc from my saved backups? Thanks
    See How To: Restore a Seriously Ill Pre I will add:

► See How To: Restore a Seriously Ill Pre for restarts and repairs but Backup and Sync first.

-Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 10/21/2009 at 04:52 PM.
  12.    #292  
    Quote Originally Posted by andieooh View Post
    Hi -
    I actually hit my "app wall" and had to delete apps with 7GB free...I thought it was odd that it was telling me to delete apps before adding new ones so I checked the free space left...7 Gigs...I thought there might be an app limit? I deleted some apps and added more than I had previously and haven't received that error message again.

Odd huh?
    I will add a note to the Tips and Tricks:

►The "Sorry, Out of Memory" bug is solved by installing the Fair Dinkum App.

- Craig
    Thanks for the tips and tricks.
    super. thx
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    a super efficient way to launch apps from the home screen other than the quick launcher bar is to type in the first letter (or any letter in the app title) on the keyboard.

This will bring up a list (icons) of apps that you can click to launch, for example:

type in "a" from the home screen brings up amazonmp3, appcatalog, accuradio,etc...

type in "d" from the home screen brings up date&time, device info, doc view, etc.....

this "technique" does away with a lot of swiping to find that darn app!
    Not sure if it was already posted but when Developer mode is enabled you can't landscape your email.
    I downloaded a image using my palm pre web browser. Where does the files go after they are downloaded? how can I access them?
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    There are a lot of new threads this week asking basic questions answered in the Tips & Tricks. If you're new to the Pre, this guide is a great read. Take a look. [BUMP]
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyvigi1985 View Post
    I downloaded a image using my palm pre web browser. Where does the files go after they are downloaded? how can I access them?
    Photos > Downloads
    Could we get this added to either a 'Tips & Tricks' or a 'Troubleshooting' or a FAQ?:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...sound-fix.html
    Just call me Berd.