Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #181  
    Dave,

This will let us add 10 new tips bringing our total so far to 320! Thanks for the tips!

1. Quicklauncher Tips & Tricks p. 2, p. 52 Users guide.
    Quick Launch (p. 52)
    ►Quick Launch has up to 5 icons at the bottom of Card view with the Launcher. ►Gesture up to quick open Launcher.

2-4. Launcher Bar page 3 - I will add the note again on apps, contacts, or bookmarks:
    Launcher
    Launcher OverviewTutorialMultitasking Overview
    ►Add Apps, Contacts, or bookmarks ► Run several Cards (apps) at once. ► For instance you can listen to music as you look at photos.

5. Updates are on page 6.

6. PreCentral has found a total of 6 Orange Key tricks that are included in their sections.

7. WiFi - It is worth noting again on page 1 that the WiFi saves battery and is faster than cell service. I will add it.
    Connection Menu
    ►WiFi uses less battery than Cell service. ►WiFi is faster than cell service.

8. Wallpapers - we had one good site but I will add these other two. We also need to document how to turn a photo into a wallpaper.
    Treo Ringtones1,000 RingtonesRingtones & WallpaperFree SoundsWallpapermore

9. The Sweet 16 Battery Tips are on page 6.

10-11. Universal Search is on page 4. The One-Key shortcuts are on page 6. We should add a note about the new Wikipedia Pre App.
    ►Google/Wikipedia - Type a topic like "Hydrogen" ► Choose Wikipedia for the hidden Wiki Pre app.

12. The 50+ Pre Websites link is noted under Internet section on page 5. I would suggest posting more links in that thread so that he can add them there.

13, 15, 16, 17. How about if we add to the Homebrew section?
    Homebrew Applications
    User Created Applications. ►Homebrew InstructionsRooting aka Jailbreak. Homebrews include:
    My NotificationsSolitaireTetrisDot GameStopwatchTranslatorMy TetherPodCasts

14. For FM Transmitter, there is a Monster that everyone says is by far the "gold standard"
    Music
    ►Don't have an Aux port in your car? Turn your Pre into an FM transmitter for your car: Monster RadioPlay 300 Universal Full Spectrum FM Transmitter.

18. The page 4 Music links include Dieters amazing analysis of sync options and much more.

19. Turn the Palm Pre On/Off tricks are on page 1 of the Tips and Tricks.

20. We have never included the mirror but you could signal the search planes or do your makeup...
    Turn On/Off
    ► Quick On - Just open the keyboard. ►You have a mirror in back!

21. Ringtones links are on page 4 with links to the details on Audacity, etc.

22. Cut, Copy, Paste and more are on page 1 of the Tips and Tricks.

23. Many have said that tightening the two screws does not fix a lose slider but can damage the phone.

24. Import Hotmail Contacts.
    Contacts
    ► Use Gmail to import contacts from AOL, Comcast, Hotmail, MSN, Outlook, Verizon, Yahoo, etc. and then sync the Pre to Gmail!

25, 26. m.facebook.com, etc.: Again, The 50+ Pre Websites link is noted under Internet section on page 5. I would suggest posting more links in that thread so that he can add them there.

27. The Hash Codes are on page 5 of the Tips and Tricks.

28. "advanced gestures" is the one tips not addressed in the TIps and Tricks. Let me think on it because some hate this and others love it.

29. The Sweet 16 Battery Tips are on page 6.

Thank you for all of the suggestions!

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/26/2009 at 09:04 PM.
    Not sure if this is the right place for this one, but my company says 'they only support blackberry at this time' when asked for the email info to set up my company email on my pre. With the update that came out Friday, is there a way around this or no?
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Looked over the thread and could not find this one. You can preview your email.
    This is done by touching the screen and then drag down any email massage. This will partially open the email.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  4.    #184  
    These are not yet included and will have to wait for 2.2:
    Video Overview
    GPS Navigation Overview
    GPS Video
    WiFi Video
    Conclusion
    Comparing Pre and iPhone Basic Apps

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/27/2009 at 11:06 AM.
    Thanks for this! Very helpful!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Great stuff, thanks.
  7.    #187  
    For Version 2.2...
    Quote Originally Posted by worthb View Post
    Here is how to create a speed dial link in the launcher that will go directly to the phone app. (Yes, you can select "add to launcher" from a contact, but then the link in the launcher will open up the contact app, then you select the number to dial, then the phone app is opened up - too many steps).

The first step is open the web app and go to a web page with a picture you want for the persons link. I normally use the person's facebook profile picture, so go to their facebook page and view their profile picture.

Next, click the "Web" drop-down menu (top left), tap "Page" and tap "Add to Launcher"

Tap the thumbnail picture (defaults to the top left corner of the current web page) and scroll/pinch/zoom to get the part you want into the target square, tap "Done".

Change "Title" to the person's name.

Change "URL" to tel://xxxxxxxxxx where xxxxxxxxxx is their 10-digit phone number.

Tap "add to launcher" and now when you go back to the launcher, at the bottom of the first page you will see a new link with their picture. Tap the link and the phone app opens with their number ready to dial. Tap the "phone" icon and it dials their number.

I'm going to write an app to do this directly from your contact list, but figured I would get the info out there first because I know many people are looking for this.

Note: I'm going to look for a way to have the number dial immediately without having to tap the "phone" button. Also, when you close the phone app, you will have a blank white "web" card on your screen that you just have to swipe away.
    also...
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshMend View Post
    THANKS! I just tried this with "mailto://email@address.com" instead of "tel://" in the URL and it works perfectly well with a new email too! On the other hand, it creates a new blank web card too, and it includes the "//" at the beginning of the email address in the new email. Just "mailto:email@address.com" doesn't work, though. Still experimenting.
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/27/2009 at 01:30 PM.
  8.    #188  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezzy View Post
    Looked over the thread and could not find this one. You can preview your email.
    This is done by touching the screen and then drag down any email massage. This will partially open the email.
    Great tip. I will get it into Version 2.2.

- Craig
  9.    #189  
    Yet another great one for the Version 2.2 of the Tips and Tricks...
    Quote Originally Posted by starkillers View Post
    Hi all, I know Deiter was disappointed with the update breaking the old way of opening links in a new tab but there is now an easier way. While pressing down in the gesture area, tap the link on the screen and presto. Enjoy!
    Thanks for all your work on updating this!
    I wanted to mention that I have probably downloaded every iteration thus far, but the version I downloaded this morning after seeing the 2.1 update posting still shows "Version 2.0 - 7/16/2009"
    Thank you very much, this is very helpful
  12.    #192  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    I was reading thru the list and think i found a typo...

Page 3 - Typing section
    > Symbols - Press the Symbol key and then the key to type it's symbol.
    > Symbols Lock - Press the Symbol key twice for only symbols. Press �� Orange Key again to turn symbols off.

You actually press the ORANGE key then the key to type it's symbol, or press the ORANGE key twice to lock in SYMBOL LOCK. You are correct about "Press �� Orange Key again to turn symbols off."

If you just press the SYM key, it brings up an onscreen list of symbols. However, you can press SYM then a key to bring a subset of the symbols (typically to get the international version of the letters, or SYM + K brings up the list of pre-loaded emoticons).

Thanks again for this document!
    Thank you!

I will get the correction in by Version 2.2. Please le t me know if you see any others!

- Craig
  13.    #193  
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi View Post
    Any way to hide all the bucket images that appear? Pain to scroll through - especially since I wouldn't normally be using those at all.

Thanks!
    Use the USB drive to move the Photos into sub-directories under Photos. When you click Photos, the pre will bring up your subdirectories instead of all of the photos in one huge list. Then you can just click the subdirectory you want and not have to look through the others!

I will get this added to the Tips and Tricks Version2.2.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Thanks for the tricks!
  15.    #195  
    Quote Originally Posted by chlue99 View Post
    ...how do I delete a bookmark?
    Quote Originally Posted by AllwaysPre View Post
    go to web, click on dropdown in upper left corner, select bookmarks, slide bookmark off the screen left/right, select delete.
    I will add this to Version 2.2 of the Tips and Tricks.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Tips & Tricks is great! I got 2.0, though there is an implication that at least 2.1 is posted. Is this cuz I have not posted 10 times yet? Seems like a silly rule. I always go by "never pass up the opportunity to keep your mouth shut".

I read all 10 pages of Tips, but don't understand how to get the on-screen keyboard. I noted that it part of webshell, not web-os, but what does that mean?
    Don P
    San Ramon, CA
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I down loaded about 200 songs now I get the message there is not enough memory to open another app without closing one. I have plenty of memory. Why?
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    good stuff
  20.    #200  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jclarkin View Post
    I want to send 4 or 5 pics to one or more email addresses, how do I do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Longster View Post
    From photos app, select a photo you want to share and it'll open up an email. Within that email, select attachment and it'll open up your photos app again. Repeat the process by selecting attachment. That's the only way I know where you can attached as many pix on one email.
    I will add this to the next Tips and Tricks, version 2.2.

Good tip!

- Craig
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast