1.    #1  
    I love my Pre but as a phone it is really lacking in the area of ease of making a call. I know speed dial butons can be assigned and dialed from the keyboard but I should be able to dial them one-handed without having to open the keyboard. There is plenty of room in the phone app for a button that pulls up a list of speed dial names that are already programmed, then someone from the list could be called by 3 touches of the screen. 1) open phone app, 2) open speed dial list, 3) select person from list to call.

I really many thread in this forum and have not heard anyone else complaining of this. I can't believe that I am the only one.

-Geoff
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    perhaps you have a ton of speedials, but the normal speedials (2-9) can be dialed by holding the number down on the screen as well as the keyboard.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    You can also add a contact to the Launcher and dial a contact without having to scroll thru them all
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Yes, not sure what you're talking about. I can go to Phone app and hold down the 2 on the touchscreen button and it will speed dial my contact.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    Yes, not sure what you're talking about. I can go to Phone app and hold down the 2 on the touchscreen button and it will speed dial my contact.
    Then you have to remember who is 2, who is 3, etc. And you are stuck with only 8 or 9 contacts. They do give you a phone book in the Phone app, but it's for everyone and that can be quite a long list. As for the launcher contacts, this would be okay if you could have more than 3 windows, but too much clutter otherwise, so maybe in the future.

What he's looking for (and me too) is a favorites list where I can add the top 25 or so numbers that I dial the most and display them in a phone book scrolling list. If you are looking for an example, the iPhone has an implementation of this functionality. Speed dial is okay, but with a smart phone, we should be able to make favorites.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by felder71 View Post
    Then you have to remember who is 2, who is 3, etc. And you are stuck with only 8 or 9 contacts. They do give you a phone book in the Phone app, but it's for everyone and that can be quite a long list. As for the launcher contacts, this would be okay if you could have more than 3 windows, but too much clutter otherwise, so maybe in the future.

What he's looking for (and me too) is a favorites list where I can add the top 25 or so numbers that I dial the most and display them in a phone book scrolling list. If you are looking for an example, the iPhone has an implementation of this functionality. Speed dial is okay, but with a smart phone, we should be able to make favorites.
    well, once you have the ability to create more pages in the launcher (which you can already do through a hack, but hopefully palm will enable it in the future) then you could create one page of just your top 25 contacts, as fredc1 suggested.

I do see the merit in what you are asking, but remembering who 2-9 represent shouldn't be that hard, especially if you actually call them enough to put them into speed dial.

you can have 26 or so if you are willing to slide the keyboard out... but in that case you could also just use universal search
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
  7.    #7  
    I thought I had tried the long key press of 2-9 and it didn't work. I was wrong, it is working. Thanks to everyone that pointed it out. Now the "favorites" list becomes a nice luxury instead of something that I could not believe that palm left off.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Using the Launcher for speed dial is clumsy because when you select the contact from the Launcher, it doesn't actually dial that contact. After selecting the contact it brings up the contact detail view and you then have to select which number you want to dial.

I would like to be able to assign a speed dial number from the contact phone number list so that when you select a contact from the Launcher it automatically dials the speed dial number.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Since the phone app recognizes phone numbers in a WEB page, is there a way to create a local editable version of a simple Web page that lists your favorite contacts and numbers? If not, then it should be a real simple app to create for someone with more skills than me.
    You can't view websites stored locally on the Pre's filesystem. Your idea could work, but only if the web page was hosted elsewhere on the internet.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    SirBC I completely agree.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    What I am missing is contact search/smart dialer integrated with the phone keypad. Type 5 6 and anyone in my contacts with a first or last name that starts with JO comes up. 3 or 4 touches to call anyone in my contacts without having to open the keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBC View Post
    Using the Launcher for speed dial is clumsy because when you select the contact from the Launcher, it doesn't actually dial that contact. After selecting the contact it brings up the contact detail view and you then have to select which number you want to dial.

I would like to be able to assign a speed dial number from the contact phone number list so that when you select a contact from the Launcher it automatically dials the speed dial number.
    Agreed. I find contacts added to the lancher only bring up the contacts window where you still have to select the number you want to dial. Now if you could add a contacts specific number to the launcher (and even more granular, add a specific icon to either dial or text the number) it would make it more like a speed dial.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeauGM View Post
    I love my Pre but as a phone it is really lacking in the area of ease of making a call. I know speed dial butons can be assigned and dialed from the keyboard but I should be able to dial them one-handed without having to open the keyboard. There is plenty of room in the phone app for a button that pulls up a list of speed dial names that are already programmed, then someone from the list could be called by 3 touches of the screen. 1) open phone app, 2) open speed dial list, 3) select person from list to call.

I really many thread in this forum and have not heard anyone else complaining of this. I can't believe that I am the only one.

-Geoff
    you're not the only one.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Not having a speed dial page was one of the first things I found missing.
    Marty
    Handspring Visor -> Handspring Treo 180 That stated it would have Wi-Fi -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650->Treo 700P ->Centro->Pre
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    What *I* can't stand is that once you have already made one call, you can't really speed dial someone after that.

Let's say I call "mom" and she isn't answering, so I want to call "dad". I want to use speed dial to call "dad", but the dial pad is open. So when I hold down his speed dial number on the keyboard slider, nothing happens except that number being pressed. The speed dial doesn't start.

Am I missing something?
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    As you probably know...If one is to open a contact and then open the pull down menu left top "Contacts" select " Set Speed Dial" which will allow you to set up a speed dial key 1-9 so you can just hit your phone menu and press the number for a few seconds and it will dial the phone number assigned to it. Also if you press a number assigned to a speed dial while in any menu "except phone dialer" the phone will automatically bring up the number and the search dialog. Then just press the number and it will dial your speed dial preset.

It comes preset with speed dial number one to check messages.

My question is how can they placed the symbol to check messages under the number one? and how can I placed a name or something under the other numbers to remember which person i have the speed dial assigned to?

Thank you
    My favorite way to dial a person is to use the program LaunchPoint. It creates Icons for your favorite contacts and either dials, sms, email. Definitely check it out, without it I probably would have left the WebOS thing a long time ago. Im not affiliated with the program in any way, its just that good a program. The developer should have done well in the hot apps program