webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Tips, Info & Resources > Stuck on headset mode
Stuck on headset mode
Like Tree1Likes

Old 06/16/2009, 09:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

My pre is stuck in headset mode when I answer a call I can't hear the person until I switch to speaker and the icon looks like a little headset, also the music player does not sound until I plug a headset in does this happen to anyone? I have all my system volume up and have restarted my phone
teranenrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2009, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

That happened on my Treo 650. It thought I had a headset plugged in even when it did not.
neodorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2009, 11:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

So how did you fix it? I'm dying here
teranenrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2009, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
dpc

Happened to me on my Treo 680. The solution for me was to run a paper clip or bobby pin along the inside of the jack until the sound worked again.
dpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: bees05
Old 06/16/2009, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

had the same problem with mine. was able to fix it with help from the posters in this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...d-working.html

i initially thought the proximity sensor went but it was definitely the headphone jack. i am exchanging mine today for fears that it will come back at the worst moment.

Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/27/2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: fixed link
PantsOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2009, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

I am on the waiting list for an exchange. I just plugged the headphones in a few times until it worked again, just worried that it will happen. Waiting for the store to call me when the replacement unit comes in.
silversurfercal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2009, 11:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just exchanged my Pre today for a new one (due to dead pixels) and within an hour after getting the new one, it was stuck in headset mode. I had to keep plugging in and unplugging the headphones until it was finally fixed. Getting somewhat frustrated with these phones. I really like the OS, but the hardware is getting tough to put up with.
Wiz1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2009, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

I already posted this in a different thread but:
- open the music player
- plug in headphones
- close music player
- unplug headphones

I hope this works for everyone.
TheCIArr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 08:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah I had to "jack" my phone a few times to get it to come back, but only after messing with it for 2 hours trying to figure out wtf happend.
zna03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 07:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCIArr View Post
I already posted this in a different thread but:
- open the music player
- plug in headphones
- close music player
- unplug headphones

I hope this works for everyone.
No luck. =/

Edit: It finally came out of headset mode after putting the jack in & out many times.

Last edited by Syphon; 06/18/2009 at 08:17 PM.
Se7enth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 11:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fl9

Thanks everyone. Just bought pre today and had same problem. Plugging head set in and out several times fixed the problem. Hope it stays that way!
Fl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2009, 05:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fl9

Continued to have problems today. Did a partial reset and so far has not happened again.
Fl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2009, 07:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ive tried all of this but cannot get it out of headset mode. I went through Palm Support over the phone and I am getting a new Pre on Monday delivered to my desk at work.
tatremblay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2009, 07:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

try blowing really hard into your headset jack and see if that fixes it. it worked for me.
eightball0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2009, 07:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

happened to me orange+Sym+r=fixed phone : )
dog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2009, 01:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

I tried everything. Soft reset, hard reset, unplug/replug, hardware tests, different pair of headphones, pen/paperclip in the jack, and blew into the jack. Nothing worked until I held the phone upside down and blew into it once. Worth a shot.
sk1m781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2009, 02:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

I am having the same problem today. I'm a heavy user of the headset jack, both to plug into the AUX on my car, and listening while doing mundane household chores. I expect to run into this problem repeatedly. (I did with one of my Treo 755Ps and a 650 too.)

Most interesting to me was when I went to Device Info -> More Info -> Preferences -> Interactive Tests -> Audio. I checked only the Phone option and ran the tests. It played a tone through the handset fine, then when I recorded sound through the handset it recorded and played back FINE through the handset.

... just got it back to the headset now... I tried the plugging and unplugging a headphone jack... but I think the last thing I did was hold the device upsidedown and blew into the jack, and then it seemed to work.

Thing is.... if the audio and mic was working in the diagnostic test, all Palm really needs to do is to include a software override to force the device to ignore the headset jack, and this wouldn't be that big of a problem. Clearly it's possible demonstrated by the ability to switch to Speaker, bluetooth, or handset/headset...

I think this would be a wise fix/work-around for palm.
gcdiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2009, 09:27 AM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

here with an update (reposting this from my message on palms forums)

SOLUTION: Alright guys, found (correction, my helpful brother found) a solution to the problem. I got the Pre on June 6th and had this problem about a week later. I returned the pone and got another one. For hardware reasons, I had to get another phone after that. Long story short, after having the replacement for about a week, the speaker and mic cut out on this phone too.

We've began researching this for a few days and pretty much decided it was a software problem, and may or not not have been caused by Pandora. The general online concensus is that the phone continues to think that the phone is in headphones mode (either from pandora or just plugigng the headphones in[idk if third party headphones play a part or not]). Im not sure where the post came from, so if you wrote it originally, feel free to take credit:

" I've posted this on another thread but figured I'd post here as well. I've been having the same issue (in which the phone app is still showing a headset icon in the bottom left). The above instructions didn't work but I figured out another fix. in the phone app I called my voicemail with my headset connected, then clicked Mute and unplugged the headset. It immediatly started working as advertised. Then just to test I went into the Music app and Pandora and they worked fine as well. Hope this helps"

IT WORKED. Immediately after trying this I got sound back form the speaker (and the mic worked), after having to use bluetooth for almost a week.
shawalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2009, 06:25 PM   #19 (permalink)

Shawalli's plug>call>mute>unplug trick didn't work for me.

This happened to me twice, for the first time, plug/unplug headphone worked

The 2nd time, fishing a paper clip around in the jack until it touched a certain contact in there (it's on the side close to the ring/mute slider, about half way deep in the jack) fixed it

Detection of a headphone is a very basic function, it never caused any problems and always worked on my 2 old Clies.
intellidryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/22/2009, 02:11 AM   #20 (permalink)

funny... just happened to me yesterday.. just plugged in my headphones and jiggled it around.. worked fine afterwards
uprisingchuns is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0