webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Tips, Info & Resources > Stuck on headset mode
Stuck on headset mode
Like Tree1Likes

Old 09/28/2009, 01:12 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teranenrique View Post
My pre is stuck in headset mode when I answer a call I can't hear the person until I switch to speaker and the icon looks like a little headset, also the music player does not sound until I plug a headset in does this happen to anyone? I have all my system volume up and have restarted my phone
just plug headphones in and out a few times til it fixes, worked for me.
rothoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2009, 06:14 PM   #42 (permalink)

These are a lot of good fixes to this problem, however, my problem is a little different. I made a call and could hear the called very well but they could not hear me.

Any solution to that?

bstok001
Bstok001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2009, 10:46 PM   #43 (permalink)

My pre kept getting stuck in headset mode, mostly after using the headset for a call or listening to music. Plugging the headset in during a call tended to fix the problem. However, after a week I was unable to get the phone out of headset mode at all.

Sprint sent me a replacement. Activating at the moment.
drumbbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2009, 12:34 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCIArr View Post
I already posted this in a different thread but:
- open the music player
- plug in headphones
- close music player
- unplug headphones

I hope this works for everyone.
I tried this....but still couldn't get the phone to go blank. I can talk just fine without it, I can hear fine without it, the speaker works, mic works...just the screen. I can play music without the head set, but I did notice there is no head set icon when they are in? No matter, I just want the sensor to work. This happened after the update, and there has to be a way to fix the bug without getting a new phone (simply b/c the phones they send are refurb'd and mine was NEW when I paid $$$ for it).
MCBBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2009, 11:11 PM   #45 (permalink)

This happened to me last weekend and after initially trying all of the solutions on this forum (qtip, battery removal, reset, relentless plugging in and out,etc), nothing worked. So I brought it back to Sprint and they ordered a replacement.

I couldnt go without a proper headset for 4 business days, so I retried the qtip one more time. This second time around, I only removed enough of the swab to barely get it to fit in the headset hole. Next I dipped in some alcohol, made a phone call and shoved the swab in there, while twisting... it about two seconds and I was able to hear again.

Not sure if it'll work for everyone, but the Qtip trick definitely worked for me.
phandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2009, 11:08 PM   #46 (permalink)

The q-tip+alcohol solution worked for me.

Notably, I tried the q-tip w/o alcohol for several tries; that didn't work. Then took the same q-tip, dipped it in rubbing alcohol, ran that around in there... and presto.

Now we'll see how long it lasts.
dordal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2009, 05:56 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCIArr View Post
I already posted this in a different thread but:
- open the music player
- plug in headphones
- close music player
- unplug headphones

I hope this works for everyone.
=============================

Thanks so much for this solution. I have had 3 chats with PRE support and twice I was advised to plug in and unplug the headset from the phone a few times. That did not work. The 2nd support suggested that a pin in the phone was broken which I questioned since until today I had never plugged in the stereo headset (with the battery being on the weakish side I don't use this phone as a music player - I have a dedicated samsung MP3 player that I love because the battery lasts *forever*)

Anyway, I was advised this was a hardware issue and the phone would have to be repaired. I have only had the phone since mid September.

So now, I am going to re-connect this to my Blue Ant Supertooth 3 speaker device for the car and see if the problem happens again.

Then I am going to tell Palm what the solution was and direct them to this thread / forum because maybe there will be more stuff here that helps support.

This is with a Palm Pre on the Bell Mobility in Canada
Web OS version 1.3.1

Have a nice day.

nkd#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2009, 09:20 PM   #48 (permalink)

I got my first Pre waiting in line opening day. I love it except for this problem. I've been through 3 fricken phones because of this issue. I'm going to go in again tomorrow for phone 4. As long as they keep giving me new phones I guess I don't have a problem. However since this wasn't an isolated incident I'm considering this a major design flaw that needs to be fixed. Its highly unacceptable!! I think every Pre is capable of this issue it's only a matter of circumstance and time.
sk8ology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2009, 10:46 PM   #49 (permalink)

I had the same issue today but didn't find out until I tried to answer my phone. Unplugging and re-plugging the headphones did nothing for me. When I got home (after being teased by everyone that my cool Pre was a POS), I ran a jeweler screwdriver down the inside of the headphone jack and that fixed it. Thanks for the tips all.

What a cluster.
KCBCarmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2009, 03:23 PM   #50 (permalink)

Posted this on gdgt, but think it would be valuable here, as well:

Definitely something wrong with using the headphone jack. I never had this issue until I plugged in my headphones on my recent flight back home for the holidays and listened to the music app. I've actually used Pandora before on my headphones without an issue, but maybe that was just a fluke.

I noticed something: applying the slightest pressure on the sides of the phone above the volume rocker set it off. So it would be in normal phone mode sometimes as I started a call, then I'd move my hand up to grasp it above the volume rocker in my normal, natural position, and it would switch to headphone mode.

I believe I've fixed it by plugging in the headphones and removing it while calling my voicemail (not necessarily all the way, sometimes just halfway) except that I would also apply pressure to the sides on the upper part of the phone while I was doing it. Do not squeeze it super hard or anything, just hold it securely.

A good way to test whether or not you've fixed the problem is to just play a song from the Music app without the headphones plugged in. Then try various configurations of physically holding the phone in your hand (naturally, nothing with excessive pressure) and make sure you can still hear out the back speaker. If it's still broken, the music will cut out. If it's fixed, you'll hear the music out the back speaker no matter how you hold it.

Has a replacement unit permanently fixed the issue for anyone? I have my Pre insured, but don't know if it covers this.

Elton
eptiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2010, 12:21 PM   #51 (permalink)

The music player trick worked for me. Thanks theciarr

- open the music player
- plug in headphones
- close music player
- unplug headphones
dvannman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2010, 02:26 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM02445 View Post
Thanks to Brettkola on precentral forum. This was almost the final nail in the Pre coffin for me. I'm sure the other things work sometimes, but this was direct and quick:

"The Pre sometimes has trouble detecting headphone removal if the headphones aren't playing anything. Try playing something and then removing, if that doesn't work clean with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip with almost all the lint removed. "
Alcohol on Q-Tip - rolled tight and dipped in alcohol fixed it instantly!

Thanks!!
dkevinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ricardito90 likes this.
Thanked By: ricardito90
Old 06/28/2010, 04:59 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teranenrique View Post
My pre is stuck in headset mode when I answer a call I can't hear the person until I switch to speaker and the icon looks like a little headset, also the music player does not sound until I plug a headset in does this happen to anyone? I have all my system volume up and have restarted my phone
There are a number of posts on this subject. I had this problem with my Pre, so did my Son with his.
Two things have worked, both picked up form these forums. There appears to be a couple of potential causes. One software, the other hardware.

1. Pull the battery while the phone is on (do not shut down first), give it 30 seconds, then reinsert. It will take a while to restart. If it was a software, should be fixed.

2. There is a sensor switch inside the headphone jack that may be stuck. Either cleaning it out with a clipped q-tip, or blowing it out the debris will solve that issue.

Both our phones stuck in headphone mode were cleared by one or a combination of the two steps above. Neither has had an issue since (3 - 4 months).
jpwhite4914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2010, 04:17 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8ology View Post
I got my first Pre waiting in line opening day. I love it except for this problem. I've been through 3 fricken phones because of this issue. I'm going to go in again tomorrow for phone 4. As long as they keep giving me new phones I guess I don't have a problem. However since this wasn't an isolated incident I'm considering this a major design flaw that needs to be fixed. Its highly unacceptable!! I think every Pre is capable of this issue it's only a matter of circumstance and time.
Damn right it is.

This is a major, major design flaw, IMO.

It's basically a situation in which, if you use the headphone jack a lot, you're going to end up dealing with this.

In my case, I can't do ANYTHING to get it working.

I've used all the tricks in the past (probably have had it get stuck 20 times in five months) - and now nothing at all works.

The thing that blows me away is that this last time - I didn't use a music app or plug any headphones in. It just went into headset mode on its own overnight as it charged via charger plugged into wall.

At this point, I don't think this is even an issue inside the jack - I think it's something on the other side of it between the jack and the rest of the hardware. You can only stick so many Q-tips in there with so much rubbing alcohol (battery out, phone off, phone upside down) before the thing is sparkling clean for contact...

*shrug*

This is my ONLY gripe with the Pre. I've had nothing but a fantastic time with this phone, but here I am about to go through the exchange process.

And unless I want to buy another device to play my music in my car and out and about, I'm going to feel dread every time I plug anything in.

As much as I love this phone, part of me wants to fight like mad to get something else out of Sprint (Android, I guess, though I'm not excited about that because my GF has one and it just isn't nearly as slick or fun to use - not as bad as an iPhone, IMO, but not as good as Web OS.)

*double shrug*
funktron2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2010, 03:16 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightball0 View Post
try blowing really hard into your headset jack and see if that fixes it. it worked for me.

that just did it for me. I plugged it in and out hundreds of times. Tried to music app suggestion. Finally just blowing it got it to work.
Devilsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2010, 12:37 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsbane View Post
that just did it for me. I plugged it in and out hundreds of times. Tried to music app suggestion. Finally just blowing it got it to work.
After this it stopped working again. Contacted palm, paid the $30 fee for them to send me a new phone and did the swap. About 2 months later, that phone started having speaker issues (but not headset mode) so I contacted them again and they sent me another replacement without the $30.

I refuse to plug headphones into this one.
Devilsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2011, 05:53 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1m781 View Post
I tried everything. Soft reset, hard reset, unplug/replug, hardware tests, different pair of headphones, pen/paperclip in the jack, and blew into the jack. Nothing worked until I held the phone upside down and blew into it once. Worth a shot.
You have got be kidding me... I've been stuck in headset mode for a few days and have tried everything and on a whim blew into the jack while it was upside down... And it worked! Thanks!
Srycantthnkof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/31/2011, 05:00 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1m781 View Post
I tried everything. Soft reset, hard reset, unplug/replug, hardware tests, different pair of headphones, pen/paperclip in the jack, and blew into the jack. Nothing worked until I held the phone upside down and blew into it once. Worth a shot.
ditto. I tried all the same things and this last one fixed it. Wow. Haha
bfwalach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2013, 05:44 PM   #59 (permalink)

I had the issue of Palm Pre stuck in headset mode when making calls ... then tried to blow in the headset hole with Palm Pre upside down and it worked! wondering why this trick work. Thanks for posting this trick!
PalmUserQc is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0