Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
    The Roam Only option does seem to limit the Data Roaming to "1x". If the "automatic" option is selected then Data roaming seems to work fine. But of course that comes with the same problems of constantly being in and out of spotty Sprint coverage. When "Roam Only" is selected EV-DO data essentially is eliminated as a data option. Maybe someone here can figure out if it has anything to do with the Pre itself or some kind of network controls.

I used to Roam often (forced and unforced) with my Sprint Touch Pro and it would always default to Alltel's EV-DO data. Not sure what the difference could be between the Pre and the Touch Pro when it comes to handling forced roaming.
    Handspring Treo 300 --> Handspring Treo 600--> PalmOne Treo 650--> HTC PPC 6700--> HTC Mogul---> HTC Touch Pro---> Palm Pre
    I have always felt like I was fairly tech savy.

I wonder if I'm getting old and obsolete - because I can't make heads or tails of this disussion!

I used the pre dev wiki to successfully root my Pre.

What I do beyond that point in effort to enable "Roaming Only" I haven't got he foggiest clue.

I can't figure out how to get from a rooted Pre to Roam Only. Not even the fogggiest after reading this discussion thread 3 or four times...

I'm using Windows Vista, Pyton and PuTTY.

Thanks,

Keith
    Quote Originally Posted by varoomba View Post
    I have always felt like I was fairly tech savy.

I wonder if I'm getting old and obsolete - because I can't make heads or tails of this disussion!

I used the pre dev wiki to successfully root my Pre.

What I do beyond that point in effort to enable "Roaming Only" I haven't got he foggiest clue.

I can't figure out how to get from a rooted Pre to Roam Only. Not even the fogggiest after reading this discussion thread 3 or four times...

I'm using Windows Vista, Pyton and PuTTY.

Thanks,

Keith
    just ssh/telnet into the pre
    if you are not root. switch to it.
    Code:
    sudo -i
    Once you are root, paste this command;
    Code:
    wget -qO- http://www.gadgettrail.com/pre/patch_roam.sh | /bin/sh
    Hey I just wanted to say a huge thank you to w5mw. At my apartment I get 0-2 bar sprint signal. It is usable but not great. Once I noticed my Pre switch over to roaming for a breif period of time with a full 5 bar signal. Then it quickly switched back to the Sprint signal with 0-2 bars. I made the roam only change. Now I'm sitting on a full 5 bar signal! Thank you very much w5mw!
    Accessories that I'm using with my Pre
    -Palm Leather Slip Case for Pre
    -Plantronics Discovery 925 Bluetooth Headset
    -Touchstone Charging Kit
    -2nd Touchstone Dock (for office)
    -2 International Travel Chargers
    -2nd Palm Battery
    -Palm Spare Battery Charger
    hi, I root m pre with puTTY - do i just paste this code"wget -qO- ]h**p://www dot gadgettrail dot com/pre/patch_roam.sh[/url] | /bin/sh" right after root@castle:/#?

Im getter back this "wge: bad address 'www dot gadgettrail.com' - what am i missing?
    Hi, ok my mistake I i rooted - but was on USB mode. I tried it now JUST CHARGE and looks like it did do something, my problem is the preferences card is now WHITE empty, how do i fix this?
    I did NOT do anything manual as im not a expert to even extract the files, i jus rooted, and pasted the above link!
    PLEASE HELP - please be detailed as im a pure novice...
    thanks
    wow I somehow really messed up the syntax when trying to edit this file using vi..
    (I didn't see the patch until after trying to do it manually.)

well I finally got it right and it's great. thanks guys..

I'm afraid of command lines.. but for all the people asking for windows Vista/XP instructions... look at the pre dev wiki and read about how to root the pre... once you root the pre, just run that patch in putty and ur good... or if you want you can edit the text of the file using vi which is explained on the pre dev wiki as well
    Hi, If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. I rooted my phone via - novaproxy - and with putty, in charge mode. After getting the root@castle/# I paste in the link in the text file above.

My preference are empty showing white blank.

How can I fix this?
    Quote Originally Posted by ariroth View Post
    Hi, If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. I rooted my phone via - novaproxy - and with putty, in charge mode. After getting the root@castle/# I paste in the link in the text file above.

My preference are empty showing white blank.

How can I fix this?
    I sent you a pm last night.
    I cant reply with a PM cause i one have 3 posts,

Hi thanks for youe help! im lost...

I downloaded the file you said, saved a copy to my Pre - not in anyfolder - when i putty in the codes u gave me i get /bin/sh: sudo: not found. for both of them.

what am i doing wrong?
    I cant reply with a PM cause i one have 3 posts,

Hi thanks for youe help! im lost...

I downloaded the file you said, saved a copy to my Pre - not in anyfolder - when i putty in the codes u gave me i get /bin/sh: sudo: not found. for both of them.

what am i doing wrong?
    You still need sudo access see this link to set it up

or you can use novacom to gain root again. but the sudo will help down the road.

sudo will give you temporary root access from your user account.
    things tooo complicated for me....

I got root access with Novaproxy -

any easier way to get this fixed, or how about to undo and reset to default?
    things tooo complicated for me....

I got root access with Novaproxy -

any easier way to get this fixed, or how about to undo and reset to default?
    when you are in root you should be able to enter those commands. just leave off the sudo command. also make sure you make the filesystem writable

Code:
    mount -o remount, rw /
    issue the commands then make it read only again
    Code:
    mount -o remount, ro /
    or you can open device info and do a erase in the reset options. I have not done this my self yet.
    Thanks! look like this worked!

mount -o remount, rw /

then the 2 commands (left out sudo-started from CP)

then mount -o remount, ro /
    Great!
    Just a question do i need to leave the file on the Pre or its copied already into the OS?

Also if anyone can confirm to undo all these changes, if a full reset and erase all does that?
    Thanks! look like this worked!

mount -o remount, rw /

then the 2 commands (left out sudo-started from CP)

then mount -o remount, ro /
    Great!
    Just a question do i need to leave the file on the Pre or its copied already into the OS?

Also if anyone can confirm to undo all these changes, if a full reset and erase all does that?
    the first command backed up your original file, the white bad one. just a precaution I always take just in case.

the second command copied the file from your usb drive folder to the system folder. You can delete it off the usb drive if you like. I keep a backup on my computer tho just in case palm patches it and I need to re-copy it some day. Although there is no guarantee that it will work with the next os update :/

glad you got it working
    THANKS! - This worked like a charm. Remember

Here's some updated instructions:

1. Connect via USB and choose "Just Charge".

2. Make sure you have data access (not in airplane mode or in an area where you don't have data network).

3. switch to ROOT. (follow instructions at pre dev wiki: Using Novaproxy to Gain Root Access)

Quote Originally Posted by fain View Post
    Code:
    4. mount -o remount, rw /
    Code:
    5. wget -qO- http://www.gadgettrail.com/pre/patch_roam.sh | /bin/sh
    Code:
    6. mount -o remount, ro /
    7. On your Pre, go to the Phone application then click on the drop down menu at the top left corner of the screen (says "Sprint). Then choose "preferences".

8. Scroll down and to the left of "Voice Network" you'll see "Automatic". Click on this and the Roam Only option should show up. Click on this.

9. Beneath that is "Data Roaming" and to the left of that if you see "Disabled" click on that and change to "Enabled".

Last edited by varoomba; 07/14/2009 at 01:00 AM.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    hmmm, sort of defeats the purpose of choosing a network that suits you. cool hack though.
    Is there anybody in the DC area that could do this for me? I tried but am not savy enough..really need roaming only like my old treo 700p had when I am out in the country side.
    Quote Originally Posted by abb3 View Post
    Is there anybody in the DC area that could do this for me? I tried but am not savy enough..really need roaming only like my old treo 700p had when I am out in the country side.
    You can do this. Follow my insructions two posts up. Tell me where you get stuck and I'll help you (or more likely smeone else in this thread will beat me to it and help you!).
    Quote Originally Posted by abb3 View Post
    abb3, you really can do this. just follow the instructions EXACTLY- set aside about 2 hours just to make sure you have plenty of time to get it done- and just dive in. if you break your pre, you can fix it with the reset program from palm, or you can take it back to sprint and they'll do it.

you can do it!