Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Did you enable dev mode? Did you hook up to your pc via USB?
    If so, make sure you did not set it as a USB drive.
    When you plug it into the pc, just set it to charge.
    Also turn on your wifi so you can login via the ip in telnet.
    Quote Originally Posted by hydes2004 View Post
    Did you enable dev mode? Did you hook up to your pc via USB?
    If so, make sure you did not set it as a USB drive.
    When you plug it into the pc, just set it to charge.
    Also turn on your wifi so you can login via the ip in telnet.
    yea i had it on charge, wifi was on and its in dev mode. I just get that when u type the python talk.py

is that what im suppose to see?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    no it should output a bunch of lines saying
    got
    expected

try doing it again. if it still does the same thing, unplug the pre and plug it back in. are you using vista, osx, xp, or linux?
    Using vista, i tried it again but didnt work gave same responce
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    hmm, i tried it in xp and it worked fine. my vista is 64 bit and didnt feel like ****in around with it. get an xp machine and do it or run the os via vmware
    I tried running this after creating my user with the sudo command, but didn't have any success.

Just to clarify, this HAS to be run as root? You can't run it with the sudo command?

Also on my 1.03 Pre. Not sure if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Nevermind. I got this to work by manually sending all the commands prefaced by sudo over my SSH shell. Thanks again!
    Last edited by tweak41; 06/22/2009 at 06:18 PM.
    hey hydes i managed to get it working on Windows Xp i think im logged in as root because i see root@castle:\var\home\root# is that what im suppose to see? what do i do now
    ok i ran the patch link that was put up and i have the roam only option yey thank you so much.. but how do i make sure its roaming. I see the R and only 3 bars.

Edit this rocks thanks to everyone who helped and w5mw for the awsome hack it was so easy once you get how to logg in as root and run the command.
    Last edited by Kishu; 06/23/2009 at 05:06 PM.
    If you see R, you're roaming. It stands to reason...

Also, w5mw, I recommend you update the script and preface each command with "sudo" that way if you're logged in as something other than root you can still use the patch. I was already rooted and had created my own account and installed the sudo privileges.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Thank you for this hack - it actually makes my phone usable at work.

Now I'm debating whether I want to keep the phone past the 30 day period based on it..Palm could close the loophole at any time and that would leave me in a 2 year contract with an unusable phone.
    DVeng. You should look into getting an AIRAVE if possible: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...al-policy.html

I recommend making a TON of calls and having them drop first, then you'll have some empirical data Sprint can use to determine that you need one.
    Thanks for making this hack easy, now only if someone can make a nice little script like that for the Add delete page hack... (Hint Hint)
    OK. I took the plunge and attempted this hack. I followed the instructions on the wiki site and used the script that w5mw came up with and it worked. I have no clue still as to how I did it but so far so good. Thanks a lot guys for all of the info. I think someone could still do a better job of writing up a tutorial for something like this but I guess I can complain seeing as how I now have the "Roam Only" option. Many thanks!
    Handspring Treo 300 --> Handspring Treo 600--> PalmOne Treo 650--> HTC PPC 6700--> HTC Mogul---> HTC Touch Pro---> Palm Pre
    I may have spoken a little too soon. I do have the "Roam Only" option now and it does force my phone to roam. Unfortunately my data now no longer works when roaming. It gives me an error that says "Your phone could not establish a data connection (67)". If I return the phone to "Automatic" or "Sprint Only" once the phone reverts back to sprints signal my Data works again. Prior to this hack my data would work when the phone automatically roamed. In my city Sprint only has 1X data, and when roaming I have EVDO data. Roaming is handled by Alltel I believe.

As I said in my previous post I had no idea what I was doing when I attempted this in the first place. So the fact that it is not working perfectly is not much of a surprise.

I used the hash code ##EVDO" to check what type of data connection my phone was set to and it is set to "Hybrid Rev 0". I assume that is what it is supposed to be set to. But I am not completely sure. Anyone have any ideas whats going on here? I really need this to work. The voice roaming is great but my phone constantly reminds me now that it does not have a data connection. And lets face it, without a data connection the pre is useless. So back to "Sprint Only" for now at least.
    Last edited by FreePour; 06/25/2009 at 02:30 PM.
    Handspring Treo 300 --> Handspring Treo 600--> PalmOne Treo 650--> HTC PPC 6700--> HTC Mogul---> HTC Touch Pro---> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FreePour View Post
    I may have spoken a little too soon. I do have the "Roam Only" option now and it does force my phone to roam. Unfortunately my data now no longer works when roaming. It gives me an error that says "Your phone could not establish a data connection (67)". If I return the phone to "Automatic" or "Sprint Only" once the phone reverts back to sprints signal my Data works again. Prior to this hack my data would work when the phone automatically roamed. In my city Sprint only has 1X data, and when roaming I have EVDO data. Roaming is handled by Alltel I believe.

As I said in my previous post I had no idea what I was doing when I attempted this in the first place. So the fact that it is not working perfectly is not much of a surprise.

I used the hash code ##EVDO" to check what type of data connection my phone was set to and it is set to "Hybrid Rev 0". I assume that is what it is supposed to be set to. But I am not completely sure. Anyone have any ideas whats going on here? I really need this to work. The voice roaming is great but my phone constantly reminds me now that it does not have a data connection. And lets face it, without a data connection the pre is useless. So back to "Sprint Only" for now at least.
    I get this error too. I remember the data roaming working before when i had 1.0.2 installed. Haven't tested since then and then today i noticed this problem

I also noticed that when roaming i used to have an R and 1X and now i just get an R... Not sure if this has anything to do with anything.

Oh and i have had this hack installed since back when this was on page one or two
    Quote Originally Posted by w5mw View Post
    My patch file is at the following location. Sorry for the odd link, but I'm apparently too new to post them normally.

www dot gadgettrail dot com /pre/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs.$roam$.$patch$
    If you're willing to license your patch using the MIT license (you retain copyright, but this allows Palm to incorporate your patch if they choose), you're welcome to commit it to the webos-internals 'modifications' repository at Tree for modifications in WebOS Internals - Gitorious (we're collecting patches there, in the hope that in the future there will be a GUI app which can apply all the patches from that location).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    This hack is awesome! I found that it doubles my battery life and my coverage is as good as being on VZW - I guess it because you now are...

Some have said that Sprint will terminate your service if you are always roaming... any truth to this?
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    A followup for all... It now works. Not sure what changed but I did noticed that in automatic mode data was disabled. I coulda sworn this was not the case yesterday but I cannot say for sure
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Tempted to try this, Sprint coverage is horrible in my house/work/city
    The basic problem I am having with this hack is that when I force Roaming, data roaming does not work. I have to revert back to automatic or sprint only to get data working again. If my phone is on automatic and it roams automatically then data roaming does work. In my area sprint only has 1X data. When it roams automatically however I do have EVDO data from alltel. Any one else notice this? Or is it possible I did something wrong when I did the hack?
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast